AR-15 mag followers

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by smores, Nov 13, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

I'm looking at getting some new mag followers to replace some old black ones in some used surplus mags I picked up at a gun show.

I'm between these two:

MagPul Teflon Self-Leveling Followers: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

CMMG SSAT (Stainless Steel Anti-Tilt) Followers: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

I've heard good things about both. I've heard the SSAT's are very low drag, and don't hang up at all in the mags (sometimes happens with AR mags). The MagPuls are cheaper, and have a proven record. However at the price, I might just get a pack of MagPuls and one of the SSAT's to find out for myself.

Anyone heard anything good/bad about them, or have anything to say?

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Funny you should ask......

I had not heard of the CMMG followers until AFTER I had already replaced all mine with the MagPul type.....

The CMMG looks to me like a better product [not to take anything from the MagPul] for me.....

I have been tinkering with the idea of replacing them all again with the CMMG stainless followers.... just haven't pulled the trigger as of yet, as this option will cost me a few bucks...

If you do both, let me know what you think right away.....

Ill return the favor if I do them before you.....

3. smores

smores Guest

I'm going to a gun show this weekend. If they're cheaper than what I get them for through MidwayUSA (I have a C&R FFL dealer discount that is pretty decent), I'll pick them up there. Otherwise, I may be ordering an AR upper from MidwayUSA and will have them by the end of next week hopefully.

From what I hear, the SSAT followers don't tilt at all, they have minimum contact with the magazine body, and are finished in a way that reduces friction. I have been reading around various forums online where people have posted, and a few people have posted problems with the SSAT's scraping off the finish on a particular brand of magazine (D&H IIRC?). I have FN USGI surplus mags, and new Center Industries USGI mags, so I'll let you know what's up once I get them.

Also if you're interested, CMMG makes a braided wire spring for the 30-round AR mags - Braided wire springs give an additional 40% pressure over standard USGI springs. Protected with a nano-ceramic coating to prevent damage from salt spray for 400+ hours, these springs are run full length and can be customized by cutting off 1-3 coils.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Yeah.....

:?

I saw those too..........

:cry: :cry:

5. Elbows

Elbows New Member

I replaced the internals on one of my issued 30-rounders (read: beaten to pieces, old, abused, vietnam era junk) w/ Magpul rebuild kit (spring and follower). I'll let you know how it goes next time I qual. Our M4s are quite garbage, but they just picked up 20 brand new ones for quals, so we'll see. Jams, and other failures are quite common in the "fleet" weapons.