Anyone used Gun Scrubber or similar?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by matt13, Jun 4, 2007.

1. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I was in Academy yesterday and saw a can of Gun Scrubber. It's billed as "The Gun Cleaning Kit in a Can". Anyone used this stuff or something similar?

I'm looking for something to give my pistols a quick/easy cleaning after firing 50 to 100 rounds without having to bust out my entire cleaning kit.

EDIT:

A friend just suggested Remington Action Cleaner so I'm adding it to the "have u tried it" list.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I use Tetra Gun Action Blaster for situations like that. Primarily for my Ruger MK. I which I hate to strip. About 5 years and 8,000 rounds without a field strip cleaning :shock: (of course it is not a self defense gun :oops: ).

3. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

Wow. That's a great endorsement for either the Tetra spray or the Ruger, but I'm not sure which. Lol.

4. czgunner

czgunner New Member

It's pretty awesome stuff. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will do the same thing for much cheaper.
    WARNING!!!!: ensure that you use the "polymer safe" gun scrubber on your Steyr frame.
    If you are just blasting the slide, etc, the regular stuff or brake cleaner will work fine, just don't get it on your frame!

5. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I have been told that the Rem Cleaner and Gun Scrubber Synth Safe can both be used on the polymer frames with no problems. Birchwood's web site state that the GS Synth can be used on all gun materials safely but I can't find the same for the Rem cleaner. Can anyone verify?

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

brake cleaner, cheaper, works the same, and did I say A LOT cheaper........ :lol:

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...hehehehe.... Reminds me....

I used brake kleen ONE TIME quite some time ago..... on my Glock 17.....

...turned the dang thing 'grey' in color.....

...several baths of silicone spray returned its original color [or lack thereof...].

I would suggest caution when using harsh automotive chemicals.

:wink:

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

It always seems turn it greyish, but a little oil rubdown gets it back to original quickly, I think it just sucks the oils out of the metal and leaves a residue...........nothin serious........ :wink:

9. nixon

nixon Member

been using gun scrubber for a long time and it works far as i'm concern. Very convenient to clean those tiny areas or crevices without dismantling specially the firing pin tunnel etc. Very handy and fast with cleaning the bolt assembly of AR's too.

nixon,
    as in your ex-pres.

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Shooter, I was referring to the plastic parts...... I am unsure of long term effects on the Polymers getting dried out and re-wetted over and over... Could this make the frame more brittle???? I dunno.....

As far as I know, nothin can hurt the Tenifer finish on Glocks metal parts.... :wink:

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've been using non chlorinated brake parts cleaner on my Steyr frame and slide since I got it.

Well over a year and no adverse effects. It's a lot less expensive than gun scrubber.
    Both prestone and Primus are sold in Wal-Mart auto section.

It does act as a de greaser so make sure you over lubricate the entire fire arm .

12. West01

West01 New Member

"non chlorinated"....Good point Madecove. And stay away from trichlorofluoroethane degreasers and all Chlorofluorocarbons if you can help it. They work great butt.... bad for your health, bad for the environment and bad for polymer....

Think about what a chemical that can brake carbon bonds can do to your little alveolies in your lung...

:D

West01

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

----------------------------------
    Probably both.

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've been using Breakfree Powderblast for about 2 years now with great results. The aerosol stuff makes cleaning so much easier. I usually disassemble, scrub down with MP7, and then spray all the gunk off with the Powderblast. This method probably cuts my cleaning time in half...

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooo :!: I don't think I've ever noticed that. I've been using the cleaners for a good number of years and haven't noticed any brokin parts or breakdown of any kind........I'll keep my eye on that one...... :)

16. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Wha?! You have an MP7? Are you LE?

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

MPro7 :wink:

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

M Pro 7.... bought a gallon of the stuff.............so far working good. I've used it now for about a year and no parts I've used it on has rusted or has any build up..............

19. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Doh! I kinda jumped the gun, as it were...

20. Dag

Dag Guest

+1

All of these spray solvents (brake cleaner, Gun Scrubber, etc) are aggressive degreasers, so be very careful and re-lube all of your moving parts.

Dag