Anyone have front sight snagging trouble?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by beatnik, Mar 21, 2007.

1. beatnik

beatnik Guest

I made a holster for my M9 a while ago. I made it to fit the pistol exactly. It's made of vegetable tanned leather treated heavily with neatsfoot oil.

The problem I found immediately is that the triangular front sight is at a right angle to the frame. So every time I draw it, the front sight is just sharp enough to scrape out little bits of leather each time.

It seems like the suresights and other rip-offs realized this and angled the front sight forward. Anyone know if Steyr has plans to do likewise?

Thanks in advance

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

I have several holsters for my A1. None of them snag the sight.

One problem is treating a leather holster with neats. That softens the leather. You want the leather to be formed and hardened. The holster should have some kind of sight track.

3. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i agree with madecov.

if the sight was angled, it would just make it slide easier, but would still touch the site, where thru the finish and scuff the leather anyway.

all holsters i've seen for the m series had plenty of clearance for the site.

not sure if you could do it at this point , but you could try putting a distinct crease in the leather where the sight will travel.

good luck

4. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

I recently ordered a custom fist for the wife, and her Sp101 has a tritium front that sits pretty high compared to the stock front blade. When I asked the lady on the phone if they could open up the sight track a little bit she said "they always leave PLENTY of sight clearance, but i'll but a note on it".

never w/ all my leather or kydex had any problem a/ a front sight catching, except the big fiber optic on my wifes S&W when i bought her a slide style holster :oops:

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Never had that problem myself