Anyone Ever Smelted Aluminum ?

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by midtnshooter, Sep 25, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Is there a company that sales a metal smelting oven? I have been fabricating a magwell and now I am in need of help melting aluminum to complete this process?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

MTS

2. luvmy40

luvmy40 Member

I did a little casting in aluminum in high school, but I haven't messed with it since.

I did a search and was surprised at how little I found in casting supplies. I did find this site, which may be a help.

I have been contemplating laminating 1/4" Kydex to mill a flared mag well from...

Good luck and remember, WE WANT PICS!!!

3. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Yes ! I have made a positive and negative of my M40's grip. I used dental impression mix from the local dental supply store and made my initial "positive" of the slot. The lower grip was a little challenge, due to the elasticity of the impression mix. I used a resin compound to create the magwell and to some this would be great. I can polish it and tint it in any color. It's the weight that I need to offset the comp that I ordered. I'm still waiting.

PM me when you get a chance.

Thanks,
    MTS