Anyone else have probs w/ corbon's?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Syntax360, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I've probably just barely put 500 rounds through my M9A1, but last time I shot her at the range I tested a box of the much hailed CorBon 115gr. +P's through her, and about every other one failed to eject. In fact, it happened to a lot of the +P's I shot that day (i had best luck with Proload 115gr. +P and Winchester Ranger 124gr. +P+). Anyone else experience similiar problems? I had been shooting for quite some time and was getting kinda tired of being there, so it's possible I just wasn't standing behind the gun as firm as I should have been. Thanks!

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

My Steyr pistols are 40 so I can't speak for the 9mm. CorBon has a short fat bullet. The Winchester's have a longer bullet.

I usually shoot Speer Gold dots and have not had a problem.

Was your problem primarily with the CorBon's ? If that's the case then you may just want to stay away from them.

Since my M and A1 are 40 I won't get a 9mm until the newest "S" comes along.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Corbon works fine in my M9A1

I have been shooting various types of Corbon in my M9A1 every couple of weeks. The short 115 grain hollow point Corbons have been 100% reliable in my A1, no failures of any type and I have been shooting quite a bit of them, I like to shoot with what I carry and like to cycle ammo out that has been carried a while, so always shooting it and getting a few new boxes. By the way, I also shoot those short / flat nose Corbon hollow points in my small S&W CS9 Chief's Special evry couple of weeks also, and they function fine in that (the recoil does bite a bit in the light, short barreled Chief Special, so not as much fun to shoot as the Steyr). I have even put some very old Winchester Black Talon and other brand (Factory) hot loads through the Steyr and I have yet to have even one failure of any type. Also, fyi, I did give it an initial very thorough and good cleaning and lube when I first purchased it.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Re: Corbon works fine in my M9A1

I also cleaned the heck outta mine before taking her out for the first time, and this was her 3rd time out. I was trying several loads that day, as I share the same philosophy about practice with what you carry regularly. I think it was just because i had been shooting for a few hours (my Sig mauser m2 .40 and .45 USP compact) and I was probably suffering from "danty wrist syndrome". She failed to eject frequently with the previously mentioned corbons and 124gr. gold dot +p. She also jammed pretty bad with one of the proloads i mentioned, but that was because the bullet itself was not properly loaded. I now carry Federal C9BP 115gr. standard pressure and the winchesters i mentioned. I'm going to take the corbon's for another test run later down the line.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

about 500 rounds from the usp and mauser. also about 50 cheapo walmart winchester's through the steyr before i started playing with the good stuff.

6. srfl

srfl New Member

I've had sporadic FTE's with Corbon 357 SIG ammo out of my M357.