anyone able to give any info on this rifle?

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by dazednconfused, Nov 25, 2012.

1. dazednconfused

dazednconfused New Member

IMG_2150[1].jpg

model s
    Caliber 7mm mag
    Also has Grand Rapids Michigan stamped on it
    Twisted/forged barrel
    IMG_2156[1].jpg
    Had a mannlicher scope on it at one time. It got a dinged/scratch during a tumble in the Rockies
    thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya dazed* :)

What a beautiful rifle!!!

I have no doubt that it is a tackdriver.

I've emailed a friend of our's across The Pond to see what I can find out. I did the usual google websearch and imagesearch, to no avail.

Maybe one of our Club Bro's has the answer or finer Inet search abilities to get this info for ya. (No doubt that's true!<shrug>)

Anyway, I'll post what I can gather.

How'd ya acquire this beauty, if ya don't mind my askin'?

Stay tuned, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- very curious about the stamped info 'G'NORM.M* :popcorn:

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Heya dazed* :)

Uh, just gotta return email that our Friend is currently unavailable until after the 29th of Nov.

Sorry 'bout that. :(

I'll post what I can when I can.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- thinkin' "timin' is everythin'" <shrug>

4. dazednconfused

Wulf,
    thanks for for the help. I got the gun years ago from a neighbor who bought it at an auction. I traded a welder for it, if I recall correctly he paid $575 for the gun. I have looked off and on for a number of years via google etc trying to find a similar gun. To date have not seen one on the gun auctions etc or am image of one. Came across this club and thought you guys would have an answer. Did take a bull elk with the rifle 20 years ago or so, (neck shot= tack driver- yes!), 1st elk ever, since then many more, though all with bow or muzzleloader. Again thanks so much for your help, look forward to any more info from your friend when he is able to give it a go

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Note: 7MM Remington Mag ammo began distribution back in 1962 so I seriously doubt that Steyr was that quick to jump on offering it in their hunting rifles. <shrug>

If you've had the rifle for 20 or so yrs, how long did your neighbor have it before he sold it to ya, ya reckon? Just tryin' ta narrow down the timeline for how old it may be.

Let me know.

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- thinkin' "curiouser an' curiouser...."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam! Look what I just found at Mannlicher.org

[​IMG]

Apparently they were in production from 1968 'til 1996.

Check out their website.

Wulf <-- trailin' the scent atta lope

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Oh, and here's the Blue Book info.

http://raxafarian.com/misc/steyr.pdf

Looks like its listed as a "Model S", Mfg. 1968-1996.

When I was skimmin' thru the Mannlicher.org site, I gathered that your rifle is a bit of a rarity in The States...set trigger, reserve mag butt stock, and chambered for 7MM Remington Mag. IMHO, an elitist combo. :thumbsup:

It would probably be a generous thing for you to contact 'em and tell 'em what ya got. http://www.mannlicher.org/contact

They may want to add the info to their collectors info, maybe even some pics for their gallery. <shrug>

And this pic of yours is very intriguing to me:

[​IMG]

Ciao, Baby :cool:

8. dazednconfused

thanks you very much for looking into this rifle, i may have had it for longer than 20 years, 25? idk, neighbor probaly a couple any how but cant be sure> I am going to browse through the links you came up with and do as you suggested. Thanks
    dazed

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey dazed*

If ya can get some closeup pics of the markings i.e. S/N, Made in Austria, Grand Rapids Michigan, Steyr-DAM PUCH*, 7MM Remington Mag, Mfg. code, etc., that'd be great.

Ya can post 'em here or PM 'em to me.

Oh, and do ya still have the original scope mount base and rings?

Cya.

Wulf <-- :popcorn:

10. dazednconfused

IMG_2181.jpg
    will pm others to you as the uploading keeps failing

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Our Friend Across the Pond sent me an email this mornin', so here ya go...

"From a distance", is perhaps a subtle hint from Our Friend that I didn't include enuf of the stamped info or engravings on your rifle to warrant further detail.

If you like, I can press him further once I have the pics with the markings on your rifle, and can send him copies.

Let me know. <shrug>

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- thinkin' "Our Friend Across the Pond ROCKS!" [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey dazed* ...

Our Friend just sent this email in response to the pic ya posted showing the stamp on the right side of the barrel:

Here's the Modern Steyr Mfg. date code chart, tho I'm not sure it applies to 1968-1996 hunting rifles:

[​IMG]

Anyway....

Ciao, Baby :cool:

Wulf <-- goin' back out ta cut some more firewood [​IMG]

13. dazednconfused

Hey Wulf,
    I need to cut firewood this weekend as well, no fun on our my back. So I thought perhaps I just could not see the manufacture date numbers stamped on the barrel/receiver, perhaps because they were below the stock line and not visible. I too off the stock and voila- no other numbers. Leaves me a bit perplexed as to why, seems as there is no simple answer, must be like a fake Rolex! There was a repeat of the number 73721 which is stamped by the receiver as per the picture I had sent and it is also stamped on the bottom of the barrel about half way, but that's it for stampings, other than that steel quality mark - 'c'normm417stlf3

Did you receive the pictures I emailed you at [email protected] (did not pm them as for some reason when I now try to upload a picture it fails) yesterday showing the Steyr Grand Rapids Michigan stamp, the stamping of the number 73721 next to the receiver, The number three looks a little funky, it looks like this: (@= some sort of symbol)
    @ @ 76

I could not decipher a date from that as there are not any letters...

again my thanks to you and your friend
    Mike-dazed

14. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Uhh...Bro,

...that is notta knockoff! The "stamp" on the right side of the bbl is proof enuf.

If ya read thru the Mannlicher.org stuff, you'll realize that Steyr-Mannlicher has always been kinda "clouded" about their releasing of info for their firearms production quantities. Even more so, today! <shrug>

When/if I get the pics from ya, I'll go thru 'em an' see what could be of significance in our query.

The proof mark is an Eagle stamp, with or w/o a shield. It has somethin' to do w/ being recognized by Euro-firearms stuff. And, the mfg code may be a 3 number code, i.e. 575 meaning 5th month, in the year 1975. Get it?

Beyond that, I got no idea. <shrug>

Wulf <-- not really into politics and secrecy <shrug>