Any interest in an aftermarket .357sig barrel conversion for your 40S&W Steyr pistol?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by DrewBone, Apr 5, 2017.

1. ThunderCat

ThunderCat New Member

Just made it back from a 30-day temp assignment and seeing the progress being made by RCM - can't wait for their next update...

2. Rim Country Mfg.

Rim Country Mfg. Member

RCM UPDATE
    Blanks are in the shop. We are going to create a model of the barrel now and go straight in to manufacturing. The 2 barrels we are going to do are the M40/M40-A1 from what I have been told they are one in the same. And the other model is the L-40 A1. We will not be threading any of the barrels unless the majority says do it. I'm not making anything custom so please don't ask. We can possibly do other models in the future. I have someone willing to send me their L-40 M1. What is the difference between the A1 and M1? We need to iron out these small things to insure you are getting the correct barrel. I will give updates more frequently now that things are moving forward. Please let me know right away on the A1 and M1 thing for the L-40. I have Andys barrel and slide for the 1st gen. M40. Unless there is a difference between the 1st gen and current production we can use his. Thanks guys!

ThunderCat, MicPop and Danny Baker like this.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone Member

Mike, thanks for the update!

The Steyr pistol models named "M9" and "M40" are the 1st generation models, with the later "-A1" designation given to all the latest 2nd generation/updated Steyr pistols, i.e., models "M9-A1", "M40-A1", etc.

To my knowledge there is no "x9/x40-M1" designation.

The model "M" series (i.e., M40) designates Steyr's "medium" size pistol model, the model "L" series (i.e., L40) designates their "long(er)" size pistol (and barrel) series, followed by their "S" for subcompact and "C" for compact models respectively.

I'd imagine you've received most of your requests for the M40/M40-A1 and L40/L40-A1 models, as the other models don't seem to enjoy the same popularity, and the .357sig round would benefit more from the longer barreled versions.

I have an email soon inbound to you.

On behalf of all of us here, thanks again for the update, and I hope everything goes smoothly!

Regards,
    Andy

ThunderCat and MicPop like this.
  4. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

4.5" 357SIG barrel for Steyr pistols!!

For anyone new, the S(C), M, L series are modular so the 4" or 4.5" would fit any of these models: it would just look funny, with the disclaimer that I don't guarantee it's safe to assemble your own pistol.
    But I can't wait to give my M357-A1 the "Luger" look with 4.5" L barrel.
    *flame suit on*
    It's for the extra 30fps. I swear. Function over form, ya know ;)

silentheart and ThunderCat like this.
  5. wfodave

wfodave New Member

Folks - let's weigh in on the threaded barrel question. I wanted mine threaded for sure. In fact, I am actually waffling on getting one if they aren't threaded. This is re: the L40-A1.
    TIA

Danny Baker likes this.
  6. MrFletch

MrFletch Member

If I had to choose I’d say no on a threaded for a 357sig round.

M - definitely no threads
    L - take it or leave it

7. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

Well I didn't mean to start peer pressuring RCM into producing something only a minority would want... It was hard enough getting enough people to show interest in mass(?)-produced 357SIG conversion barrel for S(C)/M/L series.

FWIW if I ever imagined it ever happening at all, I would not have sold my S40-A1 couple years back. A compact-frame, 10+1 round, 4 - 4.5" 357SIG(read 125gr @ 1350~1500fps)? Heck yes!

For clarification, I am personally not interested in purchasing a threaded barrel for now. I was saying since I already have M-frames I'd just get an L barrel which is conveniently 0.5" longer so there's extra length I can get threaded if I wanted to, at a later date (Google search says it can be done for ~$200).

So RCM is making 4" and 4.5". One would need 5"-ish to have a threaded barrel in a L-frame, right? But from what he said I believe any lengths other than 4 or 4.5 does fall under "custom" category since I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) "other models" = different length. RCM followed through this far I'm sure he is the only one with definite answer.

Lastly I'd like to apologize to him(and anyone else affected) for the [whatever] I caused from my previous post regarding the interest in threaded 357SIG conversion barrels. (hence the clarification above)

8. Danny Baker

Danny Baker New Member

9. steyrcase

steyrcase Member

I'm a purchaser for my L40-A1 with or without threads - I wouldn't use a suppressor on 357 SIG anyway I just wanted the extra length for max velocity.

The [S C M L]40 (-A1 or no -A1) barrels are identical in all but one dimension - length.

10. MrFletch

MrFletch Member

I’d love an S/C length because I personally feel a S40 with a 357sig barrel would be one heck of a CC pistol.

Regardless whatever is ultimately manufactured if an S / C length is not produced I’d get the next best thing and have it cut down so I’m happy the project is coming to fruition.

Thanks RCM

Danny Baker likes this.
  11. ihatecars

ihatecars Member

Sometime in the several months I had S40 both and M357, I fitted the M357 barrel in S40 and it didn't look too bad. After all, M-length is only 0.2" extra and didn't affect my presentation, at least for the several days I was playing(I mean practicing) around with the combo. Countless short recoil pistols are offered threaded(longer) barrels by the mfr. incl. Steyr so.. why not the "extra length" M barrel for the S/Cs out there :D .

Plus, AFAIK M40 and M357 share everything except the barrel(correct me if I'm wrong) so why not S40....? I don't know.. I'm just a guy on a forum so consult a professional.

Sorry I'm multi-posting but I'm too excited if y'all couldn't tell already.

MrFletch and Danny Baker like this.
  12. Danny Baker

Danny Baker New Member

Yeah- I’m sorry they’re not doing an S myself, but happy about overall project/success.

13. MrFletch

MrFletch Member

Heck if the M357 barrel works well in the S40 problem solved. Have any pics from when you had it together?

14. rebel49

rebel49 New Member

I have two M40-A1 pistols waiting on these barrels. I'm just happy that someone is taking the time to make them for us. Thanks RCM !

15. tamestOxen

tamestOxen New Member

I'm mainly interested in an M40-A1 barrel. Threads might be cool, but I can only commit to buying 1 barrel, so it'd have to be the non-threaded M40-A1.

Danny Baker likes this.
  16. wfodave

wfodave New Member

Do both barrels have to be the same? I could see where M owners (like me) would be more likely to concealed carry where the extra barrel length covered with a thread protector would be undesirable. But L owners (like I intend to buy when .357 barrels become available) would be a lot less likely to concealed carry, and the extra length if they weren't using a suppressor currently would not be a problem in an OWB holster. I fully understand .357Sig is not a common caliber to use with a suppressor. While it won't be quiet like a subsonic 9mm round, it will definitely be a lot nicer on your ears. You may not be a suppressor fan right now, but why not future-proof yourself? I thought suppressors were silly, until I tried one. Now I hate shooting anything that isn't suppressed. It's addictive. You could also use the threads for other muzzle devices like brakes.
    That is my long winded way of asking if a threaded L barrel and non-threaded M barrel is a possibility.
    Thanks again to RCM.

17. Rim Country Mfg.

Rim Country Mfg. Member

We have enough blanks to do a S short, M medium and L long. I would need a sample S to dimension off of.

18. DrewBone

DrewBone Member

Thanks Mike!

Ok folks, you've got the word...if you'd like a .357SIG conversion barrel for your S40-A1 series Steyr pistol, the very best way to have your specific request known is to speak up here:

info@rimcountrymfg.com

...and if it's at all possible for you to provide an S40-A1 pistol sample to RCM, all the better!

We're getting there :)

Thanks again everyone for your support and interest!

Regards,
    Andy

19. MrFletch

MrFletch Member

I just got off the phone with Mike at RCM and I will be sending him a donor S40-A1.

steyrcase and wfodave like this.
  20. DrewBone

DrewBone Member

Excellent news! Thanks for your contribution MrFletch, it's greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
    Andy