Any extended mag releases available?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Barnacle, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Guest

Hi all,
    I was installing an extended magazine release on a 1911 and thought it must be possible to do the same on a M40A1.
    Has anyone had any success with adapting the existing mag release or installing a replacement?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that's one of those little projects that's on my list to do.

the way to do it would be to order some (50-100) mag releases from steyr and modify them all at once. i'm not sure if this is the type of thing that S-M or SAI would even be interested in doing.

to drill and tap one hole, in one mag release at a time would be a pretty ridiculous way to offer it.

i'd love to have them on both of my pistols, but there hasn't been an over-whelming interest from others, so i've back-burnered it. i'm hoping that as more people compete with their steyrs, there will be more interest in modifications such as this.

3. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey There,

Yes you can! I was talking to Corbin on a forum and he said the mag release button is metal. After I dismantled my pistol, I was able to get the button out and on a press. I have the button already purchased ($7.50, ouch) and will take it to a gunsmith. I don't have a drill press to drill a percise vertical hole.

When I shoot, I can't release the mag without turning my hand at an angle. The mag release extention is a must. Some of the shooters told me that I can't use the pistol in IDPA with the extended button. Oh well!

MTS

4. Barnacle

Barnacle Guest

Thanks gents! I guess we'll have to do it ourselves, eh?

5. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

NP

MTS