Another trigger question

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by ryoko, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Hi all,

I know there are lots of posts regarding the trigger, most refer to polishing the guide rod of the striker and its 'weight'. I did that and the grittyness of my trigger went away. (Thanks to all who posted that polish info)

Now at the very end of the trigger pull, just before the break I get a very noticable increase in force needed to pull the trigger. Ok.... how to describe it best, well the trigger pull is consistent through the entire travel right to that last point where more force is required to finally make it go bang. What can I do to reduce that final increase in pull? I'm assuming that is not normal for a styer. (M40-a1)

Thanks everyone.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i just did netfotoj's trigger and had the same circumstance. even after polishing the sear components.

upon closer inspection, i noticed that the firing pin had some burrs. these were on the large end of the firing pin, where the hole and tang are.

i simply applied a very light bevel to this area using 1000 grit and the problem went away.

hopefully this cures it.

if not, you may have a little burr on the bottom lip of the sear where is slides off of the post. this isn't the end of the world to touch up, assuming you're comfortable taking the sear mechanism apart.

if you want to get a little deeper in there, let me know. i'll try to help you out.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

BT is THE MAN for trigger work.

He did a fine job on my trigger, plus installed his black guide rod with captured spring. (That's the end of the new black guide rod peeking out below the muzzle in my avatar at left.)

It looks better and shoots better. What more could you a Steyroid ask? :mrgreen:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Netfoto said. BT is our resident trigger guru and his word on this stuff is dogma.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

oh god... i hope jeff at SAI, the old steyr gunsmith, and the steyr armorers around the world agree.

i can't wait til steyr puts together a US armorer's program.

6. ryoko

ryoko Guest

I would not mind some info on that. I'm not exactly sure where you mean when saying the post. Do you mean the pyramid shapped part of the sear on the striker itself, or deeper in the mechanism?

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

on the home page, in the tutorials... there is one called sear mechanism disassembly/reassembly.

you'll get a good look at all the parts.

the sear (triangle looking part) slides backwards during trigger pull. the gun goes bang when the sear falls off the post (#13)

if one of these two parts has a burr, or even very sharp 90 degree corners, the sear has difficulty sliding off the post.

with the slide off, you can pull the sear back and see the top of the post.

anytime you clean it, make sure you get lube on top of the post. that may be all you need to do.

8. ryoko

ryoko Guest

Thanks BT, but I'll have to grab my manual and look at its schematic, as the one on the forum shows part 13 as a spring... or did you mean 43?

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i got burned quoting part numbers out of my head. haha, silly me.

#10 goes backwards. #11 moves with it until it hits pin #14 at which point the post (#10) stops moving backwards while the sear continues and falls off the post.