Another case of failures to eject with the S9-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Welcheren, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Welcheren

Welcheren New Member

Hello everyone.

Just a little background for my question:

I have just joined, after lurking on the forums for a while. I have read several posts on failures to eject a spent cartridge from the Steyr S9-A1, and the recommendation to install a 1911 spring.

I need some advice as to whether I really have a problem yet or not. Here's what's been happening.

I bought my Steyr S9-A1 in June this year. It was manufactured in November 2014 and has the roll pin under the rear sights. So far I have fired 549 rounds of 115 grain Sellier & Bellot FMJ through it. The first 20 rounds never suffer any problems. Thereafter, I normally suffer an average of one failure to eject properly every 20 rounds.

Is this just the kind of thing I can shoot out? Are the springs still stiff and I just need to be patient? I have read that a Steyr's tolerances are closer than a Glock's and that it needs a longer "shooting in" phase. But I did not think I would have problems beyond 500 rounds. The last time I fired 50 rounds, I suffered two failures. So basically, my question is: what are odds that another 50-100 rounds will sort this problem out?

Because I live in South Africa, gun parts are not at all easy to acquire, so the 1911 spring option will not do. The suppliers from whom I bought the pistol are willing to take it in, but I wanted to ask advice here first.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Hurry1996

Hurry1996 Member

Try a heavier grain bullet--124 or 147 grain. Also welcome to the Steyr Club.

3. schgsd

schgsd Member

And a welcome from the land of lobster too.

X2 on the heavier load. I have more experience with my L9-A1 and what it likes but I now have an S9-A1 too.
    I have found my S to be a bit more forgiving than my L in the small amount I have been able to compare.
    Sellier and Bellot was reliable ammo in the L. I don't have any right now to try in the S though.

What ammo brands do you have available?

4. DDuck1982

DDuck1982 New Member

Hi Welcheren,

Ive put 1800 round through my L9. Mostly S&B, Fiocci, PPU 115gr and Nobelteq 124 gr. Whatever City Guns have available.

My experience is similar to yours. I have found that it happens more often during fast draws. So weak grip is an issue for me, but also that the heavier bullets tend to do it less

Also clean the extractor channel well.

I have 2 springs landing mid March, if you are still having problems then.

Cheers

5. Welcheren

Welcheren New Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys, and for the kind welcomes to Steyr Club.

Sellier & Bellot ammunition is the most reliable in terms of availability, but sometimes I can also get Magtecs, Nobleteq and Fiocci.

Will give these solutions a try.

Thanks again.

6. Welcheren

Welcheren New Member

That is a very generous offer indeed.

7. Werner

Werner New Member

Hi Welcheren,

Have you resolved your issues yet. I shoot the S9. Also November 2014, so most likely the same batch that came into the country. About 300+ through the barrel. No problems thus far. Also started with the S&B's and thereafter started reloading. Use 124gr CMJ's and it hasn't had any FTE. I played around with the loads and it fired al the loads from low to high loads. Regards Werner

b_minus likes this.
  8. b_minus

b_minus Member

You also might look for some 124 gr. "NATO" spec ammo. It is a little hotter (+100 fps at the muzzle) and made by several different companies.
    Might make a new gun run better.
    I have a L9 that I purchased new a couple months ago. A couple weird FTE's in the first 150 rounds with 115 gr. Winchester. Started running some 147 and 124 gr. Through it and things seem to be better. I'm at around 500 rounds now. If you think it is an overly stiff recoil spring causing the problem, you can try storing you gun with the slide locked back for a couple days.
    Once it's broken in, it should run everything.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Werner likes this.
  9. Welcheren

Welcheren New Member

Hi Werner

My issue was resolved. I just needed to put a few more rounds through it. I send it to an armourer anyway and he gave the gun in question a clean bill of health. No problems anymore. Hope you stay happy with yours.

b_minus likes this.
  10. Werner

Werner New Member

I am glad it has been resolved. I do enjoy mine tremendously. It has however got one snag & I will create a separate thread for it. But once the last round is fired the slide does not stay open. I have thought it was the magazine springs but I have purchased additional magazines and the problem still persist.

11. NGrobler

NGrobler New Member

Hi Guys,

I also ran into some issues with my S9. I had light primer strikes and are pretty sure I have it sorted.

I'm in Pretoria if you need help.

Werner likes this.
  12. schgsd

schgsd Member

The follower in the magazine is what the slide locks on to. If it gets worn or the part that the slide meets isn't present in some way this will happen. Not saying you have done this, but never release the slide from a locked back position with an empty mag in the gun. That's a sure way to wear down the follower.

13. Werner

Werner New Member

Hi NGrobler, also in Pretoria. Would like to know how you resolved your issues.

14. Werner

Werner New Member

Hi Schgsd, I agree with what your are saying, but it did it from the first magazine & with all the magazines.

15. aceontheline

aceontheline New Member

I have a brand new L9 that fails to extract. I can't believe this is still an issue!! It also rejects straight up. I've been reading post after post for a solution but my gosh it's been going on for years. Good grief.

16. schgsd

schgsd Member

17. b_minus

b_minus Member

I would also recommend trying some good quality 124 grain or heavier ammo for your new Steyr. Also, if you haven't already, give it a thorough cleaning. Many guns are coated with stuff designed to protect during storage. If your problems persist, don't hesitate to call Steyr customer service, they are top notch. I bought a new L9 a few months ago that was built in 2014. I did have a couple cycling issues in the first 200 rounds, but it runs great now and is one of my favorite guns.

I've been buying this stuff by the case. No tax, free shipping.
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winchester-usa-9mm-ammo-nato-124-gr-fmj-q4318-p-697.aspx

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 3:14 PM