Another candidate for a Darwin Award

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Polymer Proselyte, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

This is from the local press. The worlds better off without d!ckheads like this.

Man shot himself with 'unloaded' hand gun
    The Dominion Post | Monday, 17 September 2007

Callan Hogg thought a semi-automatic pistol was unloaded when he shot himself in the head in front of a friend, the Coroners Court has heard.

The shooting happened about 6.30am at a Palm Ave, Lyall Bay, Wellington, property on May 14, 2006.

Coroner Gerry Evans ruled that Mr Hogg died by the single self-inflicted gunshot wound, but stressed the 29-year-old did not intend to take his own life.

Friend Ricky Popple, who lived at the address, told the court that on May 14 he and Mr Hogg had arrived at the house about 5am and sat in the lounge. About 90 minutes later, Mr Popple was in his bedroom listening to music. Mr Hogg entered the room and showed the gun, causing Mr Popple to recoil.

"When Callan saw me flinch away he reacted by saying `hey, I had better make sure this is empty' and he cocked the gun back once causing a bullet to fall out of the gun on to my bed," Mr Popple said.

"He held the gun up to the side of his head and pulled the trigger. I don't think he realised the gun was loaded. I think he just didn't realise ... that there were bullets left in the gun."

Mr Hogg died in Wellington Hospital on May 19.

Detective Senior Sergeant John Miller told the court that the semi-automatic pistol could hold up to nine rounds. When an unused bullet was ejected, another would slip into the gun's chamber.

During investigations soon after the shooting, police searched Mr Hogg's address and found more firearms, illegal drugs and a large amount of cash.

Police said Mr Hogg was unemployed, yet lived a "comfortable lifestyle". The source of his income, and why he had possession of firearms is unknown.

2. rosebud

rosebud New Member

Yet another stupid guy to add to the 1500 annually.

"and why he had possession of firearms is unknown."
    Stupid journalist.
    Try 'because he lives in a free country.'

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Karma's a bitch, isn't it? I say good riddance...

4. socofn

socofn New Member

Hey, don't knock him to much, guys like this keep me employed. Just kidding. JP

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I think the drugs had as much to do with it as the gun.

6. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." ...comes to mind.

7. SELFDEFENSE

My all-time favorite was the #6 runnerup in 1999:

In FRANCE, Jacques LeFevrier left nothing to chance when he decided to commit suicide. He stood at the top of a tall cliff and tied a noose around his neck. He tied the other end of the rope to a large rock. He drank some poison and set fire to his clothes. He even tried to shoot himself at the last moment. He jumped and fired the pistol. The bullet missed him completely and cut through the rope above him. Free of the threat of hanging, he plunged into the sea. The sudden dunking extinguished the flames and made him vomit the poison. He was dragged out of the water by a kind fisherman and was taken to a hospital, where he died of hypothermia.

8. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

SD

Thats almost to funny.. Sounds like my kinda luck :shock:

9. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Wow, SD, that reminds me of the lunch conversations my friends and I had at one time in 6th grade regarding how many ways can you kill yourself at once or in quick succession.

Ya know, like jumping out of an air plane with a gun to your head and falling onto a rail road bridge while a train is coming over shark infested water. So you 1) shoot yourself as you 2) hit the tracks and 3) the train runs over you and then 4) you fall into the water and drown and 5) get eaten by sharks. ....Ahhh, good times.

...come to think of it, that could make a fun video game. "The Sims: Flamboyant Suicide" or "Rube Goldberg Suicide".

10. SELFDEFENSE

And the most macabre/funny part of it is that, in the original Darwin writeup, they made it clear that he paddled for almost 8 hours before being picked up; indicating that he had changed his mind about committing suicide. :shock:

11. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member