An interesting discovery (Mossberg/Maverick owners)

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by smores, Oct 18, 2006.

1. smores

smores Guest

I'm not sure how many of you guys are into shotguns, but here goes - To those of you that know about the Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88, you guys might know what I'm talking about. The main differences between the 500 and 88 models are the forends and the placement of the safeties.

The Mossberg 500 has the safety on the tang of the reciever, and the Maverick has it on the trigger guard. I got the Maverick 88 because I figured it would be a good platform to build a tactical/home defense 12-gauge. When I purchased my gun, I got the "Field" model, which has the 28" vent-rib barrel and a long, wide forearm. I didn't really know that the Mavericks were available with a ribbed forend that would be better suited for fitting a 6-shell sidesaddle. The long forearm comes back about 1.5-2" over the front side of the receiver. Also, I think it looks wierd with my Knoxx Specops stock installed.

[​IMG]

So, I went on a quest to find a ribbed forend - pictured below:

[​IMG]

For those of you that have looked at any stock/forearm sets for the Mossberg/Maverick guns, most of them say "DOES NOT FIT MAVERICK 88." This is because they are supposed to have the forearm pinned directly to the action bars/slide tube assembly and cannot be switched out like a Mossberg forend can. When I was at the shop today, I saw a few Mavericks on the racks, and noticed the forearms are 100% polymer, and the front fits pretty much flush around the magazine tube, while the Mossbergs have a metal ring at the front end. My Maverick has a similar assembly to that of the Mossbergs, but I had never tried removing it with much effort. I've pulled the forearm/slide tube assembly off for cleaning, but never tried to remove the forearm because every source I've seen says that it's permanently installed. I figured mine was too and never messed with it.

After weeks of searching for the ribbed forend online, and visiting the gun shop today, I figured I'd go straight to the source and call Mossberg directly. The phone was picked up after about 4 rings by a friendly gentleman (forgot his name), who gave me all the info I requested. He told me that to install the new forend, I'd have to buy a new slide tube assembly and the screw-on cap. Altogether with shipping it would cost about $75. The forearm I wanted is $15. A lightbulb went off in my head, and I thanked him for the info, recorded the prices, and ended the call.

I disassembled my shotgun and got down to the forearm/slide tube assembly. With a little torque, I was able to get the screw at the front end loose, and removed it. My ugly hunting-style forearm slid right off, no problems. So it turns out I have a Mossberg slide tube assembly that came from the factory installed on my 88 (at least I think so..)! I called Mossberg right back and ordered the $15 forearm and a heat shield. I got this gun at Wal-Mart a couple years ago. Has anyone ever heard of a Mossberg tube assembly being shipped on a Maverick?

If you read the instructions on installing ATI's forend, it lists unscrewing the cap, sliding the forend off, putting the new one on and replacing the cap. Here's the link: http://www.atigunstocks.com/installatio ... stall.html

I'll let you guys know if I get it installed when my parts arrive.

2. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Sorry, I love my shotguns, Its what I grew up with, but they're both over-unders :)
    The tact-ti-cool guys call them Fudd guns. You know, the shiny engraved blued steel variety? lol

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

should be able to cut down the forearm so it doesnt cover the receiver as much so you can install a sidesaddle. might be other issues for sidesaddle dont recall.

I just went with the 8 shot Parkerized Crusader with heatshield it comes with a pistol grip I bought a standard mossberg stock for $10 off ebay. put a sidesaddle on it np. same forearm as the second pic.

need to acquire more shotguns but no money :cry:

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

sorry, no can help.

gave up on mossbergs after three consecutive deer were let go due to three different mossbergs failing to go off safe. i guess the newer style safeties are more reliable.

what IS reliable is the ol' remington 1100. just got her parkerised for the third time. hey... some people clean guns, some people shoot guns; i take mine into stuff so thick, the DOGS won't even go in.

i was all set to go on a benelli, but the next day i dropped a deer at 80 yards. decided the 1100 worked just fine.

5. smores

smores Guest

I'm not a fan of the 870s, but the 1100 series seems really nice. I'm not a hunter though, I just like the feel and operation of the Maverick over the Mossberg. Not a huge fan of the top-of-tang safety, it's hard to work with using a pistol grip.

This is my first gun, and currently it's in "CQB" mode. I still have the 28" vent rib barrel and the full stock. I plan to use that configuration at my local trap range someday. I've put about 200 rounds through it so far (haven't been able to get to the range for a while..) and I haven't had any issues yet!

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

My sidesaddle didn't work with the 870 Norinco clone, so I had to dremel off part of the forearm on the saddle side. Worked great. The thing I like about your long forearm is the fact it does come down farther. With the standard Mossberg forearm I have to reach farther out to hold the front of the shotgun which feels uncomfortable. I don't think it looks funky, my clone doesn't have the ribbeed forearm and it looks pretty cool.....try dremeling part of that forearm before you do all that work, you might like it...............

7. smores

smores Guest

well, the thing is, I think I actually have a Mossberg forend slide tube assembly, not the pinned one typically found on Mavericks. It may be as simple as dissassembling the gun (no big deal, do it every time I clean it), unscrewing the cap, and replacing the forearm. If that doesn't work I'll have the ribbed forend for sale.

I ordered it last Wednesday or Thursday, so I should have it by tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how the install goes, and at least post some pics of the new heat shield :)