ammo test.

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by darksidemxer, Oct 12, 2011.

1. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

as some of you have seen i have alot of guns, and i do alot of my own ammo tests to see which is the best for self defense. i am a FIRM believer that Corbon DPX and Magtech First Defense is the best on the market after testing numerous rounds...they are consistant, even through layers of denim. they penetrate GREAT, and the mushroom out to a very large diameter and the petals stay extended to cause a large wound cavity. I have posted the results of this many times. I have never had a chance to really test the Hornady Critical Defense for myself as the last time it was done with me around we found out that the first batch of this stuff didnt work right and they were to update it with more effective materials.
    Today i went to pick up some good ammo *corbon and magtech lol* for my new Kahr CW40. My fiancee saw they had a new batch of the Critical defense rounds and bugged me till i said i would get it to try. I came home, filled up a 2 liter, shoved it in some denim jeans and grabbed another 2 liter. the proceedure is simple. 1 bottle in the jeans with the jeans over lapping the front to make it thicker, while the other 2 liter sits on the back side of the jeans. this test shows if fthe hollow point clogs with the material, and if it has the pentration to go through both bottles exploding both.
    From 3 yards.....the round did go through the jeans, and both bottles...but it punched a CLEAN...CLEEEEEAAAAN hole through the bottles, showing that the wound cavity would be small. the round apparently didnt even expand until it hit the sand which to my dissatisfaction the round was less that 3 inches in the dirt....it had stayed together but was not a mushroom i would consider to be effective. i have Speer Goldots from a .380 that are this size from the same test lol. so i did it again, and again...same crap every time!!! so in short, this was $25 wasted on shit...im gonna go use it to target practice lol so do yourself and the criminals a favor...BUY GOOD AMMO!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BROBS

BROBS New Member

marketing gimmick

3. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

im sorry? are u saying im marketing or its hornady?

4. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

If you'll check TheBoxOTruth.com site, you'll see that dirt and sand are very effective round stoppers. Sand more so than dirt. 18" of sand will protect you from 50 cal. BMG. As for the CD ammo, try gallon jugs and at least 2 of them are required to match the FBI ballistics = about 16". Here's a pointer with lots of info on ammo tests.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot54.htm - just for laughs, this one is on a .357 breaking an engine block, followed by a .44 mag, .223 ball and AP, 30.06 ball and AP, and a 12 ga slug. Shooting stuff is fun!

5. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

point is though, it didnt mushroom, and my dpx/first defense rounds go through, open up, and manage atleast 4inches it the sand. and yes ive read their test and what not. ive also found tons of other independant tests that show this stuff is crap.

6. BROBS

BROBS New Member

i'm saying the hornady stuff is a marketing gimmick ;)

7. darksidemxer

darksidemxer New Member

i called hornady..the rep i got was awesome, he said im not the only person upset with this line of ammo and they are in the process of making an all copper round similar to dpx/first defense, but because its hornady it will be tailored to that caliber blah blah blah lol awesome rep though, she had a great sense of humor. so their pistol rounds are eh, but i still enjoy their hunting rounds. not as much as nosler custom ammo though...they make great stuff.

8. BROBS

BROBS New Member

hmm.. all copper sounds interesting