ammo prices

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by pilotbenjamin, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

I went to Walmart last night to get some more boxes of the Blazer Brass .40S&W, box of 50qty. Usually I buy 6 at a time at $7.47 a box, which was the cheapest ammo around. I was getting the 2 boxes of 50qty Blazer brass .40 cheaper than 1 box of WWB 9mm 100 qty ($15.96). Well, last night I saw the price of one box was $12.14. I guess it's back to the WWB at $21.50 for 100qty. I hear there is a brass/copper shortage due to the devolpments in China. 40% increase in price, hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come.

I am buying ammo weekly, this is the first increase in price i have seen in a while.

2. socofn

socofn New Member

3. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

the wwb 9mm went from around 15.50 to $18.50.

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Looks like its time to put up the guns and pull out the sling shots :shock: :roll:

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

dont hold your breath on it stopping anytime soon dollar has a long way to keep sliding due to incompetence.
    rich get richer poor get poor especially right now.

more dollars in your pocket is meaningless when they are worthless

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I stocked up in January on .357 Sig, 10mm and .44 Special at a gun show, mostly from Georgia Arms and I'm glad I did.

Here's what 1,500 rounds of ammo looks like. Not a very big pile, is it?
    [​IMG]

Wish I'da bought some 9mm and .45 ACP, too. I thought I could do as well locally on those, but they've gone up quite a bit since then. :evil:

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I just dropped $350 of 1200 rounds of .223 - I was hoping to get some 9mm and .45 as well, but with these prices, I'm going to have to wait...

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

What brand, weight, etc of .223 did you buy?

1200 for 350 is not a bad price.

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

if you want 223 or 5.56 nato start looking now the government just cancelled a mega million round contract
    believe it is XM139 Nato 5.56

saw thread where guy had lunch with a Federal cartridge rep.
    also said company was taking loss on some ammo sales but making up for it with premium ammo wouldnt
    be surprised if they are reaping in on reloading supplies as well.
    sure enough todays email natchezss is advertising the very ammo.

though remember 223rem will work in 5.56 but 5.56 will not work in 223rem chamber.

prices wont go down anytime soon it would take WW3 and massive drop in population or drop in demand with surplus held over.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

XM193 you mean... I'm trying to be optimistic about the 120 million round contract that was cancelled, too... That's about the only reason I didn't order some - a gamble for sure...

I went with 55gr. soft point Wolf (1k) [the closest outdoor range doesn't allow FMJ rifle rounds :evil:) from The Armory and 200 rounds of 68gr. Black Hills (probably the last time I'll ever be able to find and afford this...).

M193 or M855 would have set me back much more and I believe green tip (cha-ching) is what you have been buying, babj... While we're on the subject - please tell me that FS2K isn't still a virgin...?

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

OK, I wont tell you then....

:whistle: :whistle:

BTW - I am gonna have a new Favorite Toy in about a week....

8) 8)

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Oh ya...? Another one that will never know the joy of going "bang"? :p :lol:

13. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

$30 for 100 rounds of WWB .45 today at walmart...ugh...time to start researching reloading...already started collecting the spent brass...

SurfGent likes this.
  14. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

well 100 box of WWB .40sw 165grain is now 26.88 at Walmart. a $5.00 increase overnight.
    The 100 box of WWB 9mm is 18.74
    The Blazer Brass .40sw 180grain is $12.47 for 50qty.

I bought 200 rds. for $56.10 after taxes. (1 wwb box and 2 boxes of blazer brass).
    That is too darn much for ammo.

I don't know what I will do.

I hear reloading is more of a novelty these days, as the prices end up working out to be the same. is this true?

15. Big Rick

Big Rick New Member

that was the case when people were looking at it a few months ago...but it seems to be getting more and more economical as time goes on. Reloading is a very distinct possibility for me in the near future. I'm just afraid I'll mess something up and blow out the side of my pistol or something (a main reason why I haven't started already). :shock:

16. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

thats how I feel. seems like me, gunpowder, and lack of education could make a big mess. I wonder if the kits even come with directions.
    LEE DELUXE TURRET PRESS KIT $145.98

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog ... ress2.html

looks like we could buy this then another 50.0for the dies.
    40 S&W ONCE FIRED TUMBLED BRASS CASES 500ct $40.0
    MAGTECH AMMUNITION & COMPONENTS SMALL PISTOL PRIMER 1,000 / BOX $26.33
    NOSLER BULLETS 10MM .400 DIA 150GR JACKETED HOLLOW POINT (250CT)$30.64
    and powder. I am not sure how much powder would be required for 250ct or 1000ct. looks like it is $18 a pound.

To me the break even point would be less than $.27 cents a bullet
    So it seems like you could get the cost to $.02 for primer, $.08 a case, $.12 a bullet(premium bullet). Totalling $.20. The cost of powder cannot be more than $.07 a bullet?
    Is this all someone would need? does the turret kit part#90928, come with everything a beginner would need? thanks.

17. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

look for bullets other than Nosler look at something for plinking/target work
    you can buy lead bullets for $50-$75 for 1,000 or jacketed/plated $100-$150 for 1,000
    sure its nice to have some JHP's but better to be shooting more not less save the JHP's for something special like hunting
    or defense though defensive loading should not be done lightly.

good brass you can reload it numerous times 4-5 times will lose some while doing that.

reloading takes care recommend a good scale which can cost $50-$100
    I use a pact digital myself I have used the lee balance scale and it works though are better choices.
    set of calipers is also recommended need to measure .001" minimum

couldnt load the page for the press kit you mentioned.

turret press kit can do it need set of dies. can load on it like a single stage and progress up to using each station.
    single stage can be bit faster though change the method of loading some.

would recommend 180gr bullets or close to it weight wise use smaller charge weights
    also recommend a medium burn rate powder like powerpistol or unique.

in a pound of powder there are 7,000 gr so if you use 7.0gr per cartridge you can get 1,000 cartridges loaded.

for looking up load data I recommend powder manufacture websites
    http://www.hodgdon.com
    http://www.alliantpowder.com
    http://www.accuratepowder.com
    http://www.lapua.com
    http://www.thalesgroup.com.au/handloade ... /index.asp ADI powder
    http://www.ramshot.com

recommend reloading books
    when it comes to reloading data good to be able to verify or cross reference load data cant always do it.
    chronograph is another important tool measure what the cartridge you made is doing. $50-$100

better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    your gun is a expensive rock without ammo

18. Shellshock1918

Shellshock1918 New Member

Good lord.

War sucks huh?

Glad I have 7.62 Soviet and not 5.56

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I can certainly agree that war sucketh, as the KJV says, having been in one. But if you're thinking the war has anything to do with the ammo shortage/price increase, that's a well-spread fable by the mainstream media, which just coincidentally is against the current war on terror. The ammo shortage, BTW, has mostly to do with the Chinese buying up huge amounts of copper and lead. Wonder what they're planning to do over there? Hmmm... Somehow the phrase "200 million screaming Chinamen" comes to mind. :evil:

Confederate Yankee gives the rundown and the facts: Still Flogging the False War-Related Ammo Shortage

20. Danny Baker

Danny Baker Member

People... wikiarms.com - also have an app- it’s a MUST!