Ammo, or Break-In issue question

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Ubermensch, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

I finally got my pistol today, and decided to run it as-is per forum recommendation. All I've shot so far is one full 15-round magazine.

Out of that 15 rounds, there were two non-consecutive misfires. I ejected the magazine and racked the slide to eject the round in the chamber. Both had extremely faint primer strikes. The ammo is Winchester white box 115 gr. ball-standard range fare. Reloading the cartridges, they functioned fine.

Does this sound like hard primers, or just needing more cycling to loosen up crud? Maybe I'm used to my "eat anything" Makarov and CZ-52. Thanks.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Did you do a clean and lube before hitting the range?

3. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

No, I didn't. I posted last week to clarify things I needed to do before shooting. One response was to look at the tutorials, and the other was to run it as it came.

I field-stripped it to familiarize myself with the procedure, and didn't see anything obvious like milsurp-firearms-caked-with-cosmoline condition.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I believe it was me who said shoot it first and clean later. Maybe yours could do with a little Break-Free blasting inside and lube before you shoot it again. I've had no problem with Winchester White Box, so it's most likely not the ammo. If the action is a bit stiff, that certainly could impede the firing pin from fully cycling and getting a full stroke on the primer.

I saw a pretty detailed post this week by MrApathy on how to break a new Steyr in by just working the slide and dry firing it, plus taking the slide off and cleaning the slide and rails.

Blast the innards it out good, lube it up and try again.

BTW, my new M9-A1 hasn't missed a lick yet and I've run about 200-300 rounds through it without doing anything internal except taking the slide off and greasing the rails with Slide Glide Lite. Great stuff. Get a small tub and you've got a lifetime supply. A little dab'll do ya! I use it on all my autos. :mrgreen:

5. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Guest

OK, that sounds reasonable. I also picked up some American Eagle ball for comparison. Kinda interested in trying a few brands to see if the pistol "prefers" one bran or another, and noting POI differences. I note the Remington UMC seems to have possible issues.

The action seems smooth enough; the trigger needs getting used-to. Comparing it to my CZ-52 (apples and oranges), it's really refined but the trigger doesn't break "clean" to me. But this is my first pre-cocked striker-fired pistol. I think I'll put at least as many rounds as you've currently shot before I consider honing the FCG components.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Stay away from UMC with your Steyr. It won't like it. Blazer Brass CCI is good range ammo. But as cheap as Winchester WWB is, that's about all I shoot with my two Steyrs. And it's hot ammo, so it's good practice. Most HPs are a step down in speed from WWB.

So far as I know, there are no DOA triggers that "break clean" as in the proverbial glass rod of a SA trigger. I don't even think about it when I'm shooting my M357-A1 or M9-A1, but I have developed a "feel" that tells me when the trigger is about to break and it never surprises me. I have a G29 10mm with a custom 4 lb., 5.6 oz. DOA trigger and it occasionally surprises me with the break. Perhaps a little too light for carry. Hard to sneak up on. My M357-A1 has a 5 lb., 10.5 oz. trigger (with BigTaco trigger work) and my M9-A1, box stock, has a 5 lb., 10.0 oz. trigger and I can't tell any difference between the two Steyr triggers. Both are very smooth and, to me, perfect for carry. YMMV. :mrgreen:

My Llama IX-C .45 ACP has a 4 lb., 3.4 oz. SA trigger and it never surprises me. Clean break every time. Now my CZ75 SP01 Custom with a 2.5 lb. SA trigger? Every time I shoot it, I get surprised with a trigger break. It most definitely would not be suitable as a carry pistol. :evil: But it do shoot sweet. If I ever get ambitious enough to shoot in competition... :mrgreen: