American Ammunition

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hud, Sep 1, 2006.

1. hud

hud New Member

2. hud

hud New Member

By the way, I am very interested in finding out what weight bullet , brand, and the cheapest place to purchase ammo is. Please post your most accurate ammo, and maybe I can see a bullet weight and ammo type trend. I love my steyr S40, but am not happy with the groups I get, but can't seem to get them down. I have shot winchester in the white box, and Blazer brass. The blazer shoots better. Nd for the record, after ca. 1000 rnds, I have NEVER had a fte or any other problem, other than to begin with I had a small problem with failure to return to battery, but discovered quickly it was due to not enough lube on the gun. I haven't had a glitch since. Now if I could just shoot better... :)
    Thanks guys

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I have shot American with zero problems, but others I know have really bad problems with dented primers and no BANG, and I think MrApathy riles against this brand....... :?: It isn't high quality like a cci blazer or brass blazer, so all I can say is if you maintain your guns it should be OK, but don't be surpised if its not good................. 8-O

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

hud, if you want to shoot better, take courses, read, and find a good shooting school that teaches the latest techinques of shooting. This would be money well spent.........Las Vegas has a well advertised shooting school that I can't remember the name of. If anyone here knows it, you'll get a post soon..............good shooting............... :D

5. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, hud,

I've never shot this ammo. I have an M9A1. I've put about 1,500 rounds through it, all cheap 115-gr FMJ: Independence, American Eagle, WWB, and Remington UMC. Except for three FTEs with the UMC, I've had no malfunctions. I usually shoot the American Eagle at $7.99 per 50-round box at our local Sportsman's Warehouse. I can usually print one ragged 10-round hole at 21' with it. A course is probably the best way to improve your shooting. A quick fix is the two-handed grip posted on this site. I think it's in tactics & training. When I started using that grip, my groups shrunk instantly. Good luck,

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

hud,
    this just came today in my email........
    Greetings,

This month we are featuring our intermediate-level pistol course, Combative Pistolcraft. We receive a lot of requests for this one and are pleased to be offering it Sept 16th and 17th at our facilities in NE Las Vegas.

Course Description:

COMBATIVE PISTOLCRAFT
    September 16-17, 2006
    0800-1800
    Las Vegas, NV
    $325.00

Two full days of intermediate-level pistol skills, tactics and techniques for winning lethal encounters. The focus of this course is on high performance operation of a semi-automatic pistol during armed conflict. Concepts and shooting methods taught will apply across the board to law enforcement officers, CCW permit holders, homeowners defending their families, security professionals, military personnel, or competitive shooters looking to add new skill sets to their repertoire. Course topics include Combative Marksmanship & Gun-Handling, Ready Measures & After-Action Drills, Shooting Responses, Reactive Movement, Combative Shooting Positions, Multiple Threat Engagement, Traveling Movement & Shooting-on-the-Move, Barricade Tactics, transfers & Bilateral Weapon Operation, Close Range Tactics, One-Handed Pistol Operation, precision engagement at close or extended ranges, engaging reality-based targets, and problem-solving crisis scenarios using state-of-the-art shooting solutions. Prerequisites for this course include Defensive Pistolcraft OR completion of an entry-level semi-automatic pistol course of instruction (VTI, NRA, CCW, etc.). Contact PFC with questions regarding eligibility. Registration deadline is September 12, 2006.

Please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in attending. We currently have six slots available.

OCTOBER PREVIEW:

Fighting with Firearms, San Antonio, TX
    October 21-22

Defensive Carbine Operator, Las Vegas
    October 24

Combative Carbine Skills, Las Vegas
    October 25-26

Advanced Individual Carbine, Las Vegas
    October 27-28

Advanced Team Carbine, Las Vegas
    October 29

We are presently scheduling 2007 events for Las Vegas and other locations. Please stay tuned to the website for updates and if you or your group are interested in hosting a course, contact us directly for information on setting up training in your area.

Train hard and stay safe!

The PFC Staff

Progressive F.O.R.C.E. Concepts, LLC
    PO Box 336301
    N. Las Vegas, NV 89033

Phone: 702.647.1126
    Fax: 702.647.7325
    Web site: http://www.PFCtraining.com
    E-mail: [email protected]

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i've had good luck with wwb and blaser brass.

the one thing my s40 will not tolerate is 180 grain bullets. with 165's she's very tight.

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've had problems with American Ammo.
    No crimp at all, bullets would set back just by touching them, or in shipping.

I stay away from it.

9. hud

hud New Member

Thanks to all those who have responded. I will contact the org. shooter suggested. My S40 seems to like the blazer brass 180 gr. bullets better than the lighter (165 gr.?) winchester stuff I bought at the local Walmart for $16.00/100. I will keep trying different ammo, also and will wath the crimp on the American I ordered, and hope to find something my pistol likes better. I am not new to pistols, but am new to auto pistols and polymer guns. This pistol is VERY different from my 7 1/2 inch ruger redhawk!!! Thanks again, and any other input is welcome.

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have seen large numbers of posts on other forums basically saying "Run, do not walk, away from any box of American ammo".

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

And they have gotten worse. Now I look at my target and think I'm shooting a shotgun instead of a 45........ 8-O

12. SELFDEFENSE

Shooter: "..and they have gotten worse..."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Didn't seem that was possible

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Yeah is was. The first batch I bought last year was ok. It didn't disintegrate before it hit the target. Now they are busting up right out of the muzzle.

14. SELFDEFENSE

Maybe they are making frangibles and they forgot to put it on the box. :(