Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys i'm new to this forum.
I used to work in a gun shop in NZ 15 years ago. I remember seeing the odd Steyr M Professional then with their green glass stocks and phosphated finish. I always thought they were a neat gun but never thought I would be able to afford one.

Now I live in Australia I saw a mint version going in 30/06 and grabbed it. I stuck a new Z3 on it and am currently using it for hunting over here for Buffalo and pigs. It's a bit heavy but it's nicely balanced and has a great trigger and smooth bolt. I really like the 5 shot magazine too which is a bonus.

I have a few concerns though. The magazine plastic seems to be really brittle and the right hand release button on all 4 of my mag's has been lost. Where can I get another 30/06 magazine ?
Secondly it has the Steyr twist off claw mounts but the screws are really soft and I want to replace them with hex types of new versions. Wondering where I can get scope mount screws ?

Finally the plastic trigger guard seems quite brittle also and mine already has a slight crack in it . I kinda get the feeling that the plastics back in those days was brittle and not as good as the stuff made today.

Does anyone know how I can age my rifle? it's got the green plastic stock, single stage trigger and open sights

Anyway it's a cool rifle and my first Steyr.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talk to the folks at Steyr USA directly. They have mags and I believe they also have new mag boxes as well. They can also tell you the make date by the serial number. I have the Pro model in 7x64 with brown stock and love it. Also have an early '69 vintage M in 30-06 with wood of course. It shoots very well too. I have become a big fan of these rifles. Looking for another right now. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your rifle sounds like a Model M II Professional, but could be a Model III, mid 1990s.

I own an MIII with green Cycolac stock in .30-06, with set triggers., the last of the Model M Professionals, before the SBS 96.

First, the scope mount screws are not the standard 6-48 screws used on most rifles, both USA, UK and Europe, but metric. I can give you the thread, but they are not long, and you are unlikely to find them, so it is best to order them from a Steyr dealer. i replaced the Leupold bases on mine with Warne, and am now using a Burris FFII 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex scope in Warne rings on it. I started with a Minox Z3, but moved that to a Steyr SBS .308.

The magazines are still made. Best to order one from MidwayUSA or Brownells, or from Steyr.

The triggerguard and magazine housing have two places with tend to crack, around the screws. I am working on a replacement for them in a much stronger plastic. In the meantime, glue yours with JB-Weld epoxy.

The Steyr SSG and Model M Professional were the first synthetic stocked rifles sold by a major manufacturer. Cycolac is a form of ABS, and is very stable. It is used to make plastic instruments, like levels for carpentry. I still have a perfectly good Sears Craftsman level in Cycolac, purchased in 1974. JB Weld will fix it, too, but you are unlikely to break the stock for a while. This is what car bumpers are made of.

I am working on a new stock for the Steyr M Professional and the SBS in a special carbon graphite reinforced plastic, which weighs half as much as the factory ones. I will post photos when I finish the next one. It is as light as the Tikka T3 stock.

i just started shooting various factory loads and handloads in mine, and would love to swap favorite loads with you and other owners. This is my third Steyr Mannlicher .30-06. The other one was a 1952 carbine and then a 1950 Express, which will shoot everything into a half inch group.

Yes, you have a cool rifle. Like you, I lusted after one for decades. I will probably own another one before it is over.

I have a new SBS Pro Hunter on order with factory iron sights in 7x64.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your rifle sounds like a Model M II Professional, but could be a Model III, mid 1990s.

I own an MIII with green Cycolac stock in .30-06, with set triggers., the last of the Model M Professionals, before the SBS 96.

First, the scope mount screws are not the standard 6-48 screws used on most rifles, both USA, UK and Europe, but metric. I can give you the thread, but they are not long, and you are unlikely to find them, so it is best to order them from a Steyr dealer. i replaced the Leupold bases on mine with Warne, and am now using a Burris FFII 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex scope in Warne rings on it. I started with a Minox Z3, but moved that to a Steyr SBS .308.

The magazines are still made. Best to order one from MidwayUSA or Brownells, or from Steyr.

The triggerguard and magazine housing have two places with tend to crack, around the screws. I am working on a replacement for them in a much stronger plastic. In the meantime, glue yours with JB-Weld epoxy.

The Steyr SSG and Model M Professional were the first synthetic stocked rifles sold by a major manufacturer. Cycolac is a form of ABS, and is very stable. It is used to make plastic instruments, like levels for carpentry. I still have a perfectly good Sears Craftsman level in Cycolac, purchased in 1974. JB Weld will fix it, too, but you are unlikely to break the stock for a while. This is what car bumpers are made of.

I am working on a new stock for the Steyr M Professional and the SBS in a special carbon graphite reinforced plastic, which weighs half as much as the factory ones. I will post photos when I finish the next one. It is as light as the Tikka T3 stock.

i just started shooting various factory loads and handloads in mine, and would love to swap favorite loads with you and other owners. This is my third Steyr Mannlicher .30-06. The other one was a 1952 carbine and then a 1950 Express, which will shoot everything into a half inch group.

Yes, you have a cool rifle. Like you, I lusted after one for decades. I will probably own another one before it is over.

I have a new SBS Pro Hunter on order with factory iron sights in 7x64.
How did your new stock turn out? Would you be willing to make another one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts