alternate m-40 mags...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by romakdaddy, Apr 12, 2007.

1. romakdaddy

romakdaddy Guest

has anyone looked into the idea of modding a mag from another pistol to fit and function in a steyr m-40? i recently took a 30 round taurus pt-92 mag and got it to fit and function in a ruger p-89 all i had to do was make a square hole for the release latch to catch.the mags were basically identical except how the release held it.now the mag will work in both pistols so theres a bonus...lol

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

wulf is you man for this.

he's chopped up and filed more sigma mags than you can shake a stick at.

he now has a pretty consistent setup that functions quite well. he can tell you exactly which mag and spring to get. and tell you exactly how to modify it to fit. might even do it for you and set you up right

pm him for more info.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

BT said it - Wulf makes 17 and 18 round 9mm mags and 15(?) round .40 mags. He chops Sigma .40 mags for both setups and adds Wolff +10% springs. For 9mm, the 17 rounder fits flush and the 18 round hangs out something like 1/8" - only noticeable if you are looking for it.

4. romakdaddy

romakdaddy Guest

theres a gun show next weekend.ill compare the steyr m-40 mag to other brands(glock especially) if its close enough i have another fun mag project ahead.im currently converting galil .308 mags to fit the romanian SSG-97 .308 romak3
    heres my baby
    [​IMG]

5. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

S&W Sigma mags will work in the Steyr.

All you have to do is cut a new notch for the mag release.

Worse part is the fugly, bulky baseplates ... but the capacities are higher than the stock Steyr mags.

6. romakdaddy

romakdaddy Guest

yeah now that i have the pistol in hand i see the first major differance.the base of the mag is 90 degrees to the back of the mag.other brand mags have a way different angle.probably wont let the mag go all the way into the pistol, i believe as long as the feed lips and follower are the same angle in the pistols feed area then the bottom should be no problem as long as it clears the bottom of the grip just look funky hanging out the grip.

you guys will have to forgive my curiosity but im a constant tinkerer, sometimes some good comes out of it like the fact i tackled and solved the SSG-97 .308 steel mag issue.

wulf...do you sell the modded mags? wheres a good place to find cheap sigma mags?

7. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

you'll find a love for the tinkerer on this site.

a lot of times you're tinkering with the same things other members want to tinker with. they in turn are very thankful for any development. no apologies necessary!!!

good luck with the mag project. i've seen first hand what can be done with the sigma mag baseplate. a little creativity and it can be shaped into something much more attractive.