After-market Security Key!

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Polymer Proselyte, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

My M9A1 arrived without a key, and I started hunting for thing that might do the trick.

I tried a fire alarm 'Bulgin" key from work but it was too large.

Solution: An A4 snake eye security driver. This one is out of a cheap cell phone repair kit.

This key just needs some customization!

[​IMG]

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i sincerely apologize if you looked there, but the keys can get pretty deep in the foam.

anything will work. i use the same screw driver that i use to lift up the manual trigger spring.

next steyr accessory i'm planning on doing will be a stainless key with the steyrclub logo on it. just trying to clear things up and make a good time to run a batch.

i'll call it, "the steyr key you actually keep on your keyring"

did you ask luvmy40 about making a holster for you? he made me a spectacular competition rig and might be better on the shipping than others. never know unless you ask. his work is top notch, he's a really good guy and a fellow steyroid.

3. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

Hey BT,

The wee beast came pretty much as you see it. It was an ex-sample that Steyr sent out to New Zealand.

Thanks for the heads up on the holster, I'm back to the research stage again. The blade techs are very highly regarded, and I may just have to bite the bullet and get the holster (sorry for the pun)..I'll have another look at your holster thread too. Almost tempted to send away to knife kits and have a go (Their postage is really cheap too.)

I had an idea about making a form from laminated custom wood (MDF, not sure what its called in the US) using layers to build up the detail for the form. A lot of shooters here are using the Ghost/CR speed type rigs in Production IPSC. No holster burn but quite expensive.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

no need to make a mold. the gun itself works swimmingly as it's own mold for one off purposes.

having been where you are... trust me. luvmy40 will make exactly what you want for much less than you'd spend on the materials to make your first holster.

i keep trying to convince him to pick a few designs and maximize the assembly-lining of them and he is absolutely commited to offering one off custom work. exactly what you want.

give him a shot. give him a pm.

you might end up paying the same price as you would for a blade-tech. but the quality will be on par and the ability to get exactly what you want without compromise is an unbelievably valuable service he's offering.

by the way, being involved in competition shooting... what do you think of the holster that luvmy40 made for me? i'd love to say it's mine, or my design... but honestly, i wanted something with lots of thumb access. luvmy40 did the rest. and his design and construction is much better than i would have been able to do.

5. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

She looks really fine to me. You say it was a sample. Was the box marked "Demo"? I bought a "demo" gun for a lot less than new that was basically NIB.

BTW, does anyone around here actually lock their Steyr?

Buzz

6. silver x0ne

silver x0ne New Member

I use my lock when it is somewhere potentially accessible to anyone I don't want to be able to use it (kids, friends, etc). No safe at the moment and no place of my own so it gets a lot of use. Mostly lock the gun and then put a padlock on the gun case. Good enough for me :)

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I assume it isn't being used for home defense? Sounds like you've got it covered!

Buzz