Aesthetics

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Buzz, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

How important are the aesthetics of a particular gun to you? Are there any guns where the looks of the gun are so horrible that you would never buy one despite superior performance? Are there any guns that are so attractive to you that you will let a few things slide to own one?

Buzz

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I would never own a glock, mostly due to aesthetics :p.

I have to admit, I've bought more than 1 handgun based on looks alone. Luckily, they were all quality weapons and it has worked out. Now I'm a bit wiser and I do OCD-levels of research before spending a dime. Still, if something was just drop dead sexy and I had the coin to spare, I can't swear I wouldn't buy it. I guess it depends on how you define "a few things" that I would be letting slide... It has to go bang, of course.

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Aesthetics are somewhat important to me ... its one reason why I won't consider a S&W 10mm (that and I have an aversion to slide mounted safties).

The aesthetics of the early brownish photos of the S40 I saw on remtek is what originally got me interested in these guns.

now I won't buy a POS gun just 'cause its pretty.

I probably would buy an "ugly" gun if it was well made, shot well and was the best choice for whatever application I was buying the gun for.

4. charmincarmens

charmincarmens New Member

Most important.That is why I bought my M9 A1. :D

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Looks count, but not without firepower

First photo I saw of a Steyr MA1 in a gun magazine review in October 2006 caught my eye, so looks do count.

I had been looking at either Glock, but it was too ugly and I was trying to get past that; or XD, which wasn't quite as ugly, but still not pretty. My qualifications for a carry pistol were 4" barrel or shorter, polymer-frame, hi-cap and 357 Sig caliber.

MA1 offered all three, like Glock and XD, but it trumped them both with looks. Now that I've got one, I have to say it also trumps both of my two previous candidates in handling and shootability. So looks count, if a gun can deliver.

Steyr delivers firepower, light weight but strength with its polymer frame, and looks better while it does both.

As the shaver guy says, I liked my first one so much I bought a second in .40 S&W. Wish I had the bucks to buy the company, like the shaver guy did. (Of course, picking up my M40-A1 for only $350 from CDNN made it still sweeter.)

Now if I can get a new SA1 model in 357 Sig, that will top even my M357-A1. That will be looks, small size and power.

If the new owner has the savvy to properly market Steyr pistols, we will be owners of the new "Glock killer."

P.S. to Zundfolge
    Hey man, whaddayou mean a S&W 10mm ain't got aesthetics? My 1076 is so sexy it practically jumped off of the dealer's gun shelf into my hand the first time I saw it. Plus it ain't got no safety at all, slide-mounted or otherwise. All it's got is a frame-mounted decocker, but that ain't no safety.

[​IMG]

Here's a profile of the S&W 10mm semi-autos from http://www.bren-ten.com/id55.html
    1006 5" barrel with slide mounted safety/decocker.
    1066 4.25" barrel with slide mounted safety/decocker.
    1026 5" barrel with frame mounted decocker (ala' Sig).
    1076 4.25" barrel with frame mounted decocker (ala' Sig).
    1046 5" barrel with DAO trigger. Very rare with only 151 made.
    1086 4.25" barrel with DAO trigger.

See, only the 1006 and 1066 have slide-mounted safeties, so you owe an "You ain't ugly" apology to the 1026, 1076, 1046 (if you can find one to apologize to) and the 1086. I already apologized for you to my 1076 and she said that was OK, her feelings weren't hurt anyway. She knows she's beautiful without anybody saying it.

6. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

Hi, everyone,

Looks are totally important. I think the M9A1 is the best looking 9 mm around. Maybe the best looking autoloader. The only autoloader possibly as handsome as the M-A1 is the government size 1911. Of course, I have one of those, too. The profile of the M-A1 reminds me so much of the Alien. If you look at it long enough, you'll see what I mean. I think the ugliest autoloader is the XD. It looks like a hammer. The best looking small arm for me is the AUG. I don't have one of those. Bummer. Later,

7. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey All!

Back in Novenber I was looking at new pistols and that HUGE back cover add for Steyr in one of my gun mags kept haunting me! Every time I'd go out to the garage to work on something that full page add was looking me right in the eye. Then my brother started in w/ the "I'm gonna get me onna Them" routine. Before I knew it I was at Range Masters asking about Steyrs and the rest is history.
    _______
    mugdava

8. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

My problem with the S&W autos is the trigger guard. Too squished ... too '80s ... just not right. If it was shaped more like a BHP or Pre B CZ75 it wouldn't bother me.

Also the triggers in S&W autos ain't the best (although like any auto, I imagine they can be tuned).

If they made a 1076 in SAO that could be carried C&L with a crisp 3lb trigger, a shortened grip and blackened stainless steel finish I'd snap one up.

Anyway, the S&Ws are just nowhere near as pretty as a Dan Wesson Razorback or CBOB :wink:

Of course I'm sure we can agree that the S&Ws are still better lookng than Glocks :p

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Also, I think it's worth noting that there are too many quality firearms on the market today to buy something you do not find aesthetically pleasing. If you buy a gun for the features, but you think it was ugly, I would wager you either cheaped out (nothing necessarily wrong with that - we can't all afford what we want) or were too lazy to put forth the effort to find the right gun.

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Aesthetics are important, yeah. <shrug> But my real test is putin' one in my hand first to determine whether or not it feels "right". If it doesn't, move on to somethin' else. When ya put one in your hand that feels good and looks good, load the bastard up and send a few down range to see if it performs good, too. It'll speak to ya. What's it say? :shock: If you're buyin' it for yourself and it looks kewl and shoots great, fig'r out how to make it yours. If at some time you shoot it and you don't trust it anymore, pass it along. <shrug> Now buyin' one for someone else, well, beauty is in the eye of the holder. :roll: Hava great weekend. :D

Wulf

11. In the gun world form should follow function, but in most cases the form helps function.

The Steyr is a sexy beast and it isn't because Steyr set out to have a good looking pistol it is because all the things like the natural point, the low bore axis, the use of polymer, and trapezoid sights just added up to a pistol that performs very well while looking great.

Like jet aircraft if it looks fast it probably is fast.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I admit it, I was between the XD subcompact with XML, and the Steyr. I first fell in love with the Walther P99 when it was first introduced some years ago, but never could find any, and never heard anything else about them. I then stumbled across the Baby Eagle in polymer, a sexy pistol in its own right, and then I found the Steyr. Too sexy for steel, just right for polymer. I was sold. I got lucky that it shoots as good as it looks, so I bought another one. :lol:

Ready, aim, Steyr. :shock:

13. smores

smores Guest

I love the lines of the Steyr, and am working to get one.

However, my first gun, a CZ-75B honestly I didn't like until I held one at the shop. I was sold that second. I almost got the M9-A1 but I really wanted it in .40.

One of my favorite pistols of all time is the H&K USP. It will probably be my next purchase (either in V1 configuration or the Combat model). Also, I bought my SLR-106FR because it looks just like an AK-74M, my favorite rifle of all time!

14. Heat

Heat Guest

I love the way my steyr m40-a1 looks and it is very practical for the purposes i need. Aesthetics wise i think a custom Colt 1911 or le baers are the prettiest out there.

15. DocChronos

DocChronos Premium Member

To be honest … I thought the Steyr M9 my son bought was the ugliest handgun I had ever seen. In my world, the ONLY handgun of true beauty was the Colt 1911. Then I shot the M9. And I shot it again. Pretty soon, my son was asking if he could please have his gun back.

Now I own an M9 and an S9. They are my favorite shooters (although I still passionately love my 1911). To me, the Steyrs are ugly, but they offer some of the best ergonomics in handgun shooting. I ran around 1600 rounds through the M9 right out of the box without cleaning and never had a problem, and about half that many rounds through the S9 before cleaning. The only problem I had with the S9 was a single failure to extract around 600 rounds when the chamber was completely gunked up from lack of cleaning.

So to me, beauty is only skin deep. Recently, I have shot more rounds through my Steyrs than any other handgun I own. The Steyrs’ fit and function are what really matters. Although, I must confess that the new M-A1’s have a certain attractiveness that makes me think of selling my M’s and “moving up.”

Doc

16. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

They are just insanely sexy, aren't they? Aesthetics played a huge role in my decision to pick one up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Just so happens to be an extremely precise tool! 8) Nice USP Syntax!
    _______
    mugdava

18. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

a well functioning tool,
    that does what you want to do it,
    when you want to do it,
    as well as you want to do it,
    ...becomes a beautiful thing.

19. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

If you like the USP, you have to see Underworld. There's a great scene where Kate Beckinsale takes target practice with a USP Match. Oh yeah, and Kate Beckinsale's in it. (Did I mention Kate Beckinsale?) Later,

20. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

I don't remember any guns in Underworld. as a matter of fact
    I don't remember anything BUT Kate Beckinsale and her plastic
    outfit :shock: Was there a plot to the movie? Was there any
    other actors in it?