Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,
i am new to the club,having by chance found a m9 1st generation in a dominican gunshop.i am originally from germany and would have
prefered the walther p99,whatever generation.
since gunownership is strictly limited in germany,i could only practice with a co2 4.5mm walther cp 99.
i grew up with guns though,my uncle being a hunter,who taught us children gunsafetyrules very striktly.
so here my question:
how do i break in this gun properly, keeping a price of 1dollar a round in mind,
the gun is unfortunatly only for self defense,range shootin beeing far too expensive,
i am looking forward to all your advice,
till then,tobyd

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Was the weapon previously used, or did you buy it - new in box?

If you bought it new, then get some mineral spirits, field strip the gun (there's a tutorial here on the site), and clean it thoroughly. If you feel confident enough in your abilities, I'd take the rear slide block off (work in a clean plastic garbage bag to keep parts from getting lost), and make sure the striker channel doesn't have any cosmoline or other protective coating remaining. The mineral spirits will take care of it with a little light brushing. Use a Q-tip or similar device to clean the channel out.

I'm an advocate of dry lubing (molydisulfide), but a high quality gun oil used sparingly works well too. Make sure not to get the striker too wet with oil, you can impede the function with too much fluid in the channel - just a light coat - wiping off excess. On the slide, use a grease that won't dry out, and has some viscosity. There are a number of websites with recipes for home made lubes. Some people have used STP brushed on the slide rails.

To break it in, you can dry fire it repeatedly. You won't hurt the striker, and the metal parts will get the burnishing they need.

This is kind of general, as I don't know what you can purchase in the Dominican Republic in a pharmacy, or grocery store, or auto parts store.

This website is worth it's weight in gold as far as do it yourself is concerned: http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot eth,
i ll read up on different lubricants and see what the gunstore here has to offer,and yes,it comes new in a box,
and after all i read on this site i am glad to have chosen the m9 over a taurus millenium pro.
greetings,tobyd

·
Registered
632 Posts
Welcome to SteyrClub!

Dollar a round?!

I wonder what that translates for us.

Glad you found a purchase to be happy with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess a dollar a round translates to no much fun on the range,
i ll have to limit my targetpraktice to an absolute minimum,
but still better tha in germany where i am not even allowed a real gun,
sooooo....i m still happy

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Welcome back Self, haven't seen you here in a while, been just lurking, or have I been spacing and just missed you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts