Advice needed: Buying a MA1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by holo8472, Feb 1, 2013.

1. holo8472

holo8472 New Member

Hi Steyr community,

Since the present "gun law panic" I decided to look around and maybe get a new gun. While I was shopping several places, I found a Steyr MA1 at Cabela's. Being from Europe, I am familiar with Steyr.

After a little research I found the info available confusing. Now I am asking for the Steyr's community advice/ info.

The gun available at Cabela's has the Mannlicher logo on the bottom of the grip on both sides. The slide says m9-a1. There is no rolling pin under the sights. It has a rail.
    All in all if you closely look at the gun's exterior, it kind of looks old. It looks like it has been laying in a basement for a while. It looks like dirt in the ridges of the dis assembly lever. It doesn't bother me but it raises questions about the generation of this gun.

I have read about different generations, extractor problems, "grey market" guns, frankenstein guns and so on.

Does anyone know how to find out about the generation of this gun, if I rather should leave it, if I will encounter known issues?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. stvan

stvan New Member

M9-A1 is the current model. There is a S9-A1 out there also if you can find one and now this year 2013 a L9-A1 is coming out. Small frame, medium and large. I would not buy the display model unless a new one from the "back room" is not available, especially if it looks like somebody rolled around in the dirt with it. Now the M40-A1 I bought a month ago was a display model because there just weren't anymore available, but it was flawless. Steyrs just don't get the attention the common brands do, most salespeople don't push them unless someone specifically asks to see one so it is mostly only knowledgeable gun buyers looking for them.
    I watched many sales people when a novice gun buyer comes in looking for a gun they almost always take them to the Glocks first then the Smiths and then the Springfield Armory guns.
    I would stay away from the Frankenstein and the clones. Just get a A1 series.

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The Cabelas weapon is one of a series of "gray market" weapons which were imported by another importer. According to rumor, they were the result of a weapons order which was canceled.

A number of members have purchased these, some had problems, some didn't. I think only one purchaser returned the weapon, unwilling to work though the problems they were having. They were the FTE type as I recall, easily fixed for those who really like to care for their weapons.

4. Jubal

Jubal New Member

I would concur with the other post that if another is available from the back, I would ask for it. As for the "grey market" guns, I did buy 2 and they have operated flawlessly so far. From what I can tell this pistol is a "generation 3" (if I am wrong somebody please correct me). Steyr says they will honor the warranty for these guns. I hope this helps.

5. holo8472

holo8472 New Member

Thank you very much for the replies. That helped a lot.
    I just wanted to make sure I am not getting a firearm where I have to put more into than I paid for, and are unhappy to the point of selling it again.
    The gun I was talking about IS a gun from the back. That was the thing that concerned me.
    To be honest, at this point I am so hyped up about a Steyr that I will get it out of layaway and see. HAHAHA

Only one more question:
    Is there a huge difference in a gen3 ( the Cabela's gun ) and a gen4 ( the one with the pin under the sights) ?

6. Jubal

Jubal New Member

Having never fired a generation 4 I can't tell you, but I can tell you the Steyrs that I have, the trigger pull is the best that I have experienced (better than Glock, Springfield XD).

7. AGoyette

AGoyette New Member

Holo,

I bought a M40-A1 used and love it. It had a few "quirks" but I sent it in to Steyr and they worked on it and it is currently on its way back to me. I can hardly wait for it to get home. With help from people on this forum I have determined that my gun was made in Nov. of '05. I knew about one of the "quirks" when I bought it, but I trusted Steyr's reputation and so far I am not displeased with my purchase. I am not new to the shooting world. I competed in USPSA for about 12 years and have had numerous guns. I know that you have to get used to and make friends with any new gun and every gun will have things you want tweaked to make it perfect for you. Since you are going to ask what my M40-A1s the quirks are/were, they are as follows: the safety did not reset 85-90% of the time when dry firing. I never had an issue when firing live ammo. The slide drops on its own when a new mag is put in with any force. Last time I shot it I had a couple pieces of brass hit me on the head, so possible ejector issue (kind of a known thing with the older M40-A1s). The sights seemed off, the gun seems to hit to the left (for both the husband and myself) so the sights need to be adjusted. I have had zero FTF or FTE issues. It has fired flawlessly. I will tell you that Winchester 155 gr. silvertip HP ammo makes a really big boom and had decent recoil, but the gun handled it with no problems. I have shot mostly Winchester white box out of it. One of the things nice about a Steyr versus a Glock is the fact that the Steyr is made for the .40 S&W caliber, thus it is fully supported, where as Glock had to mill and modify their gun so the .40 S&W worked. Or at least that is what I have read numerous places. Steyr does stand behind their product and so far I don't regret my purchase. My M40-A1 will be my carry gun after I pass the class next week.