Adding finger ridge to the frame

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by ThaiBoxer, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Just curious if anyone has added a finger groove or ridge to the front strap?

I decided to remove the excellent Hogue I got from syntax. My hands just aren't big enough to get the right grip with the extra layer added, but I have really come to love finger grooves. I read a tutorial on adding a beavertail to Glocks, and so I made a mold of modeling clay around where I wanted the finger groove, mixed up some epoxy, and glopped it in there. I let it set until it hit the "leathery" stage, removed the clay, and put it in my hand in the unique "Steyr position" and squeezed a bit. Then I smoothed it down a bit and let it harden. After 36 hours, I sprayed it with some of the spray-on truck bed-liner product available from auto parts stores. This product is a bit shinier than the rest of the frame, but not glaringly so. I'll post some pics after I fix some aesthetics, which basically involves a bit of "blending" of some edges into the frame.

It is great in feel and function, IMHO. It really settles into my hand.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

OK.....

...Have our attention now...

Post PICS ASAP!!!

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

OK, I decided I don't care about blending for "purtiness" on this beater. I like shooting and carrying the Steyr M40, and it's better looking than any Glock, but that's about as far as I'm prepared to go. the intent on the ridge work was to fit the gun to my hand, not make the ridges even and symmetrical.

The finger ridges are solid. Each is covered in 4 layers of spray-on vinyl truck bed-liner. I have not beat on it with a hammer to determine if the epoxy breaks off or crumbles before the frame, but you should and report results.

If you noticed that both ridges look a bit "customized" you're on the ball. Both have been built with epoxy and final-molded in the proper "Steyr grip". The gun now sits in my hand that way upon drawing, with no re-positioning necessary. You may also notice that I don't have a pointy part in the hump, because a file and a short bit of time smoothed that away. It simply sits perfectly now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sound25

Sound25 Guest

Nice work! If I ever get tired of the houge grip, I will have to think of this as an option, as I too really like the finger groves. Thanks for sharing!

Sean

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam strait, Thai* :shock:

You rock, Bro! :p That's the kind o' spirit I really admire in a gun owner. Some guns are for shootin', not collectin'. Make it your's, Baby...own the bastard and make it yours! :p

Wulf <-- Salutes ThaiBoxer lika Roman Gladiator

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

:lol:

Ben