Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a bit convuluted to get to Steyr, but bear with me. First a post on hotair.com about a supposed soldier in Iraq, who wrote a supposed story about soldiers doing stupid stuff, which was published in The New Republic magazine as God's truth.
http://hotair.com/archives/2007/07/20/come-clean-new-republic/

Set your BS detector on its lowest possible setting. If you know anything about Iraq or guns at all, your detector will bury the needle when you read this:

[quote:3d2qjshu]Someone reached down and picked a shell casing up off the ground. It was 9mm with a square back. Everything suddenly became clear. The only shell casings that look like that belong to Glocks. And the only people who use Glocks are the Iraqi police.
That’s from Dead of Night by “Scott Thomas,” the pseudonymous soldier whose claims have raised much suspicion among the blogs of late. It’s completely insane.[/quote:3d2qjshu]

Then commenting on the hotair.com comment by blogger Bryan Preston is the blogger who calls himself the "Ace of Spades":

Bryan Preston finds one that seems damning. This supposed military guy claims that 1) the finding of a 9mm cartridge casing proves the Iraqi police were responsible for a shooting, because only the IP uses 9mm ammunition in all of Iraq (!!!), and 2), it's "square-backed" ammo, which I never heard of, and neither has Bryan.

Maybe someone with gun knowledge can explain that last one; maybe there is some sort of distinctive "square back" ammo out there.

But that first assertion seems... dubious. 9mm parabellum is, as far as I know, the most popular, most available, most consumed ammo in the entire world, used in -- guessing here -- a full half of all pistol models as well as in submachineguns. (I shot a Steyr, I think, in 9mm a couple of months ago. I picked 9mm over .45 because 9mm was so much cheaper.)

http://ace.mu.nu/
The "square back" shell apparently is a reference to the square firing pin in a Glock, or that's the speculation.

Now that you've waded through all that, here's a little bonus video. Warning, the website is just what it says it is and the video is what Ace calls "boobapalooza. Here there be knockers." Nothing you haven't seen at the movies already.
http://www.totallycrap.com/videos/videos_show_them_to_me

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the article was in print in the magazine, The New Republic, and has been roundly debunked by Internet bloggers, but you got the concept right, selfdefense. I checked the TNR website and you have to be a subscriber to the print publication to be able to read the article online, so I couldn't put up a link to read the full "report."

Any fool can blog, just like any fool can write an article for a magazine. But somehow, publishers of print are supposedly held to a higher standard of excellence and trust than bloggers. Except at The New Republic. This is at least the third article published in that magazine which has been widely investigated and found to be full of BS.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SELFDEFENSE said:
Oh, Katrina vanden Huevel, the most far out lefty I routinely see exposed in the media. 'Nuff said. :roll:
Learn something everyday, thanks for the name-dropping, SD. I never heard of her, but here's what I googled:

In 1989 vanden Heuvel was promoted to The Nation's editor-at-large position, responsible for its coverage of the USSR. In 1990 she co-founded Vyi i Myi ["You and We"], a quarterly feminist journal linking American and Russian women. She also did reporting for the Moscow News.

In 1995, vanden Heuvel was made editor of The Nation. She and Navasky moved aggressively to expand The Nation via radio, the Internet, books and other synergistic opportunities.

Katrina vanden Heuvel's latest book is Taking Back America: And Taking Down the Radical Right.
How's that for timing, takes over coverage of the USSR just in time to see it disappear into the trashbin of history with the fall of Reagan's "evil empire." Moscow News reporter? Gotta be kidding. Unrepentant commie.

And her latest book, "Taking Down the Radical Right" would include me, a card-carrying member of the "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy."

:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts