Accidental discharge at the range today

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by BadAndy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Not your typical AD...even the range guys were shocked.

I was in the middle of bringing pain to a target when there was a bright flash right next to me and I felt something on my arm. I put the gun down and looked to my right where I keep my ammo on the bench. There were bullets still in the tray surrounding the explosion but they all shot just fine afterwards.

Here's the tray and leftover round
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tray was sitting on a full box of ammo....the bullet had partially lodged into the unopen box and rested on other bullets :eek:
    [​IMG]

Here's the one that blew
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is .40 S&W ammo and I was shooting it out of my Steyr M40-A1. An interesting note about the Steyr is that it throws brass straight up in the air when ejecting. Apparently, this was a freak incident and as you can see on the primer, an empty casing that bounced off the ceiling tile hit it hard enough make that kind of dent and set off the primer. We even put the rim of a cartridge over the primer and it's a perfect fit.

I didn't get hurt, just got sprayed with unburnt gun powder. Very very weird.

2. nalioth

nalioth New Member

Holy Weird Event, Batman!

Glad everyone is alright! :clap:

3. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

I just remembered something, it was on the 6th shot that this happened. I had 3 FTEs and it was throwing brass straight up into the ceiling tiles and I even got hit in the head pretty hard by one case.

I'll be giving SAI a call tomorrow to see what they can do about the FTEs and weird extraction issues.

4. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're lucky...Glad you did not get hurt...

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I dunno what the odds are of that very scenario playing out, but maybe, just maybe, you ought'a buy a lotto ticket or somethin'????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

6. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Just talked to Jeff and will be shipping the gun to him today or tomorrow. I'll just be happy if it stops throwing brass straight up in the air!! It wouldn't be too bad but since I shave my head, it's not fun having hot brass smacking me in the head! :lol:

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This definitely one of the strangest AD reports I've ever read - I'm glad you escaped unscathed. :party:

8. bhtkevin

bhtkevin Guest

I did get much sleep last night so forgive me, but I can't follow what happened!?!

9. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Ejected case hit an unfired round directly on the primer and set it off while it was sitting in a tray full of bullets.

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

if you told that story, i'd never believe you. but seeing the evidence... what can i say?

shoot outside more!!!

11. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

That's exactly why I took pictures as soon as I got home! I even had a hard time believing it when I saw it happen.

12. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i shoot with my ammo out in the open, this will make me think twice. I never even thought of the possibility.

13. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

That is astounding. Thanks for posting the pics.

14. BadAndy

BadAndy New Member

Well I got the gun back from SAI this week but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. They replaced the extractor, extractor pin and spring and it says Recoil Spring Assy - Repaired under warranty. Cleaned, inspected and tested 50 rds ok.

I can't wait to get back to the range!