A2's sight rail worked itself loose

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by some_finn, Dec 19, 2007.

1. some_finn

some_finn Guest

No wonder my shooting appeared to be below par today.
    As I was packing my AUG I noticed the whole picatinny rail is a bit loose.
    The screw I assume is supposed to be holding it in place has some kind of loctite-looking gunk on it so I can't even tell if it's a hex head or what.
    Does anyone know what the stuff on the screw is and what is the proper way to remove it so I can tighten the screw and hopefully the rail as well?
    I hope it's not red Loctite or some such stuff that needs a temperature similar to the surface of the sun to break the bond...

2. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Well. Someone could have pointed out that I was being a complete idiot. :stupid: :wall: :doh: :oops:

Of course the "screw" is just a spring loaded push button and when you push it in, the rail slides off.
    It probably says so in the manual, except I have the German one and my grasp of that language is sketchy at best.

But the issue remains, the rail is a bit loose. Has anyone noticed that in their rifle?
    It moves just fractions of a millimetre side to side, but it's still quite noticeable and disturbing.
    No point trying to shoot groups when it's like that, I'd think.
    Maybe I'll try some kind of tape between the receiver and the rail? Any better ideas?

3. 1Turk

1Turk New Member

Hmmm....

something wrong there...there should not be any play...Does the rail sit better/tighter once the rear screw tightened???......

Can you can get hold of another rail :shifty: to try

be safe

4. some_finn

some_finn Guest

OK, now I feel stupid again. What "rear screw"?
    I can't even find any holes where there might be a screw missing.
    I checked the manual and as far as I can understand, it just says push in the button and pull rail to the rear to take it off and that's how it seems to work in practice, too.
    No mention of any screws.

5. 1Turk

1Turk New Member

Ok

hopefully we are talking about the same rifle Steyr AUG Z

there is a small (about 1/2" ) hexagonal head screw holding the rail in place

[​IMG]

I will try to take photo of the manual and post it if you wish

be safe

6. 1Turk

1Turk New Member

Here is some more details

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

be safe

7. some_finn

some_finn Guest

Mine is an A2 SA.

I guess that screw is some kind of an improvement just because of my problem :think:

Need to e-mail Steyr and ask about this... :?

Thanks.

8. Matsumi

Matsumi Guest

Re: A2's sight rail worked itself loose WARNING!!

To all those who owns a Steyr AUG A2 do not remove and install the Picatinny rail more then what is absolutely necessary.
    The A2 split receiver wish allows the removal of the original sight for replacement of a Picatinny rail unfortunately has an incomplete design. After continual removal, the fit between the receiver and scope/rail will become loose.

The AUG-Z is updated and has solved the loosening issue by adding a screw that will fasten the rail or original scope to the receiver just like the pictures above shows.

When I bought my A2 I was aware of this problem and I have not removed the original sight in exchange for the Picatinny rail. Until I have made up my mind on getting another scope that will be perfect for my needs the original scope will stay on. And once I have changed I'm not going back.

Some_finn, the AUG-Z update is not that advanced as I see it and all that should be needed is to drill and tap the receiver for the screw that Steyr uses. Get the original screw from Steyr and allow a good gun smith that you trust to do this.

9. some_finn

some_finn Guest

I wrote to Steyr and according to them the screw is used only on the civilian Z version.
    On LE and military guns they wanted to keep the rail quick detachable.
    It looks like they may do something about my problem as a warranty repair, I'll let you know if and when the matter progresses.

BTW I have only ever removed the rail once - after I noticed the problem! So it's not "worn" because of use.

10. Matsumi

Matsumi Guest

Thanks for keeping us up to date, the issue of loose rails on the A2 is something you are not alone in I have heard this for quite some time from owners around the world. The Australian made their F88 A2 with a screw similar to the AUG-Z that ensures that the rail will be solidly fixed.

If you look at the receiver/rail interface its not difficult to see that a very tight fit is necessary to keep the rail solidly fixed, if you get slightly out of spec it will result in the rail being loose.
    Steyr may deny it but I see it as a design flaw, if you look at both of the new American AUG guns you will see that both are ensuring that the rails are securely fasten via screws to the receiver.

11. some_finn

some_finn Guest

:wall:

The old import/export issues still haunt me.
    I had to privately import my A2 from Austria as the Finnish Steyr importer "couldn't" (read: couldn't be bothered to) get one for me.
    So of course they won't help with any warranty issues (and are in general a bunch of class 1 a-holes known for horrible service even by Finnish standards).
    Also as the A2 is "kriegsmateriel" In Austria, it cannot be returned there for warranty service.

So I have to solve this myself.

Matsumi, could you kindly provide some details as to how the screw is fitted in your Z?
    Are both the rail and the receiver threaded, or just the receiver? What exactly attaches to what and how?

On the other hand I have no interest in getting another rail or the original scope, so super glue and soldering also come to mind...

12. 1Turk

1Turk New Member

Hi

On my AUG Z the only the reciver is threaded for the screw...the bracket only has a hole

i hope this helps

be safe

1Turk

13. some_finn

some_finn Guest

As I suspected... Thanks for the info.

14. Matsumi

Matsumi Guest

some_finn, like you I also own an A2, great to see that 1Turk could help you out regarding the screw setup on the AUG-Z.

I have one idea that might also be usable and that is to use loctite 222 or 243 between the receiver and rail. This won't be as permanent as soldering or be affected by heat which super gule probably will when the weapon gets hot from firing.

However getting the receiver drilled and taped and the rail drilled for the Steyr screw by a good gun smith should get you the best long term solution.

Also found this picture of the new Steyr AUG A2 Commando:
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely at the front of where the receiver and the scope interface you can see that in addition to the pin that holds the sling lever there is another pin which probably goes through the receiver and scope housing.
    This could be another way or an additional way to secure your rail if it's is loose in the front end as well...