A1 Series slide lockup issue video re-shoot

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Talyn, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I re-shot my A1 series video dealing with the myth on the lockup.

Stay tuned as it uploads.

I will reiterate my findings in text format in here as well again.

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

http://youtu.be/opy4dwLqhtw

I know there has been a lot of speculation on what causes this slide lock up, and it's very simple.

I demonstrate in the video this isn't a steyr only issue. I use the so called holy grail of polymer guns to demonstrate that steyr is not the only one with this issue.

Due to tighter tolerances of the Steyr pistols, they just require more break in before strange issues like this resolve themselves. This isn't an issue that affects the operation of the firearm in anyway. I also demonstrate this with dry firing in the video.
    Yes, I mention also that I modified my safety in the video.
    All I did was take off the plastic bur from the casting process.

3. jhb

jhb Member

Nice video on the subject. Thanks.

I am surprised the pig nose would cause unreliable function on your glock. You sure its that? Can't say I've ever heard a complaint of a pignose causing function problems before? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying?

Off topic how do you like the 10mm version glock? I've been tempted to jump into 10m, but there are few choices out there and the glock seems one of the best choices.

4. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I don't trust my Glock 20.
    It had some issues. I have not tested it to see if it works now.
    It's a used service pistol. It was having trigger lockups after a few rounds.

I'm not sure if the pignose is actually causing malfunction, but the slide IS dragging on the polymer.

I just really wanted to illustrate that this idea that our guns are poorly designed because the slide will move slightly while in battery is not just our fire arm and that it does not affect the operation of the fire arm when needed.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guns, but I think I gave valid facts as to what is going on and why it is not an issue and it's something we shouldn't worry about.

5. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Well done - thanks. Cheers.

6. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

I never even noticed this until I watched your video. Sure enough mine does it, but I have to make it do it. I haven't noticed it while holstering. *Shrug*

7. jhb

jhb Member

Understood. It was a good video as always. Appreciate the follow up, and feddback on the glock.

When the glock does fire properly how does it handle the 10mm cartridge? Easy shooting ora handful that isn't fun? Thank you Sir.

8. Talyn

Talyn New Member

10mm is a large 40. 40 came from the 10mm cartridge.

so think of a 40 with more pep. haha.

It's been awhile since I've used it though, so to be honest I don't quite remember.

TNoutdoors9 has some videos' with a glock 20 testing ammo though. You can get a feel for it from his footage.

9. Talyn

Talyn New Member

yeah, it's the same with mine.

I highly doubt these firearms will do it after many rounds.

500-600 on mine and it is pretty loose compared to when I bought it.
    I doubt around the 2000 round mark that this would even be an issue.

The only time you're going to notice it with a holster is if it is a tight fitting leather holster, which those usually have your retention on the slide because its the widest part, or if you have a poorly made kydex holster.
    A kydex holster should put no pressure on the slide at all. If you were to cut the part of the trigger guard off the holster, the fire arm should fall right out of the holster without any resistance.

A lot of poorly made holsters have the ejection port molded into them and this is a no no. It will wear your slide out and cause too much tension.
    All retention on the kydex holsters should be made from the trigger guard. Even on hybrid IWB's.

10. MINKMAN

MINKMAN Member

Maybe I'm stupid or need to watch the video again I don't understand what the issue is? My C9 has worked flawlessly.

11. jhb

jhb Member

If you don't let the slide slam home on its own power ......it requires a harder trigger pull to fire. Or if you push the slide backwards a bit......it requires a harder trigger pull. Tayln shwoing us its more of a newer pistol "issue"(if you want to call it an issue?) Has no real bearing other than the harder trigger pull....at least on my c9. I find it a non issue, but some have complained.....even nra rifleman article awhile back mentioned it.

12. Talyn

Talyn New Member

Mine works fine as well.

The issue addressed in the video is peoples musings to try and find fault with the Steyr design, or because people are worried about the slide play before the gun is broke in due to the lockup between the barrel lug and the slide.

13. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I was showing the neutral point in the slide and showing that other striker fire pistols have the same issue.

If you don't let the slide ride home, the pistol will not fire because the magazines will pop the round up in front of the extractor.

As for the harder trigger pull, when I cleaned up the burs on the safety bar, the trigger pull is no longer harder if you push the barrel back and fire.

The details in question will not manifest themselves on their own just from firing the weapon, you physically have to push the slide back to get it to do this.
    Holstering the weapon with a tight leather holster could possibly do it, but the thought that it won't fire with a holster that tight to cause this issue is silly, because when you draw the fire arm, it would pull it back closed. ....

14. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

I agree. The Galco holster I picked up is very tight on my S40 and it will push the slide slightly out of battery while reholstering, but like you said, it pulls the slide closed as I draw the gun. That and I leave my thumb on the back of the slide as I holster the weapon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  15. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I think that goes along with press checks and safe handling.
    Not all holsters allow for a thumb around sorta grip while holstering, you usually have to move it.