Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been answered before but, what's the difference between the A1 and the A2. Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
The grip module is different and the chassis on the a2 is the serial numbered part. The a1 comes apart the same way as the a2 for the most part. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems like all new models of Steyr MF series (A2) have the same handle, but different barrel and slide length. Therefore, even the shortest version MF c9-a2 has a height of 5.6 inches and accommodates 17 round magazines. That's great, but how about something more conceal-carry friendly? Maybe with less magazine capacity, like 15 or 12 rounds, but less height/shorter handle? I would rather have a new pistol, but I really like the variety of sizes of the previous generation Steyrs. What are your thoughts, guys?

·
Registered
135 Posts
It seems like all new models of Steyr MF series (A2) have the same handle, but different barrel and slide length. Therefore, even the shortest version MF c9-a2 has a height of 5.6 inches and accommodates 17 round magazines. That's great, but how about something more conceal-carry friendly? Maybe with less magazine capacity, like 15 or 12 rounds, but less height/shorter handle? I would rather have a new pistol, but I really like the variety of sizes of the previous generation Steyrs. What are your thoughts, guys?
Yeah it’s same as the A1 but they killed the S9 so the sub compact is gone. I like the S9 and carry it in summer but for its size the capacity is terrible. Honestly it’s easily beat by the hell cat or 365. Even the Glock offerings which aren’t on par with the above are better then the S9 when you look at capacity and it’s overall size. Handle is the same on the rest here is the A2 series with the M, L, and C

here is the S9 next to the C and the L

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for posting the photos! I see more and more that people don't stop just after one Steyr.:)
So, if you (or anyone else experienced in this brand) were shopping for the first Steyr pistol now, in 2021, which one would you buy first?
I am thinking of a new MF m9a2.
A small part of me wants to embark on a used s9....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you for posting the photos! I see more and more that people don't stop just after one Steyr.:)
So, if you (or anyone else experienced in this brand) were shopping for the first Steyr pistol now, in 2021, which one would you buy first?
I am thinking of a new MF m9a2.
A small part of me wants to embark on a used s9....
There is nothing wrong with a S9, just mags are hard to find and you can see in the mag design where they could have added more rounds but they stopped at 10 because of the ban when it was made and never fixed it. It is also a fairly wide sub compact. My first Steyr was a L9 then a S9 to carry and now I carry a C9A2 which is basically a 19x. A L9 is a Glock 17 and my favorite of the bunch as I have 2 A1 and a A2 as well as looking for another A2 to mill for a acro. the M9 is right in the middle. If I could only do one for everything I think M9 is a good place to start but they are hard to find at the moment. V1 tactical gives you allocation dates for an idea, but their 550 sales are done I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What's your opinion on concealability of C9 as opposed to M9? There is about 0.4 inch barrel length and 1 inch total length difference. I think having a shorter pistol would make the draw easier. Also, it might be advantageous in appendix or OWB carry making the pistol less likely to stick out or cause a discomfort. What do you think?

·
Registered
135 Posts
What's your opinion on concealability of C9 as opposed to M9? There is about 0.4 inch barrel length and 1 inch total length difference. I think having a shorter pistol would make the draw easier. Also, it might be advantageous in appendix or OWB carry making the pistol less likely to stick out or cause a discomfort. What do you think?
Not much if any. Concealing while standing the barrel length doesn’t matter. Sitting in the car I get wanting one shorter. Really avoiding printing to me is about grip size and thickness. since with both it’s the same I don’t have a big opinion either way. Here is a pic of the c9 in a holster and the M9 in the same. You won’t notice and printing will be the same as they are same thickness and grip is where you notice it anyway. When shooting you can notice a difference back to back on the c and L where the c is snappier but we’re talking about 135/147 9mm so it’s pretty mild regardless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for sharing the info and pictures! It really seems that there is very little difference in size between MF C9 and M9.
As far as the smallest S9 model goes, if I decide to get one, at this point I will have to shop for a used pistol. Regarding the Steyr generations, are they all equally mechanically good/reliable or certain generations are better than the others? Also, are there any specific serial numbers (like starting with 0 or 1 etc) that are better avoided or the other way around: better searched for? Would generation one pistol still be a good value in 2021?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Generation have fixed issues and one of the bigger fixes for the A2 was a redesigned extractor which was an issue in the earlier A1s although I don’t know which serial number. The A1 fix was a spring but the A2 changed the design, one of the few slide changes from A1-A2. Below the black is A2 and silver is A1. A2 kicks them better where the A1 can and has landed in my hat a few times. For what to pick I think the M9 or C9 A2 series is best. Just whichever you can find. The 19x is a daily carry for many and it’s the same size as the c9a2, m9a2 is a little more slide but great choice too

·
Registered
135 Posts
The grip module is different and the chassis on the a2 is the serial numbered part. The a1 comes apart the same way as the a2 for the most part. Hope this helps.
Just saw this, only the initial batch of A2s have the serliazed part being the removable fcu. The rest of the L9,M9, and C9s the serialized part is now the grip with a silver plate on the right side next to the fcu. The a2 the fcu is serialized and the window showing it is there but the grip is now serialized with a plate as well. My understanding is this is because if you take a A1 FCU and place into a early L9 you have a unseralized gun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This should answer most questions.
Yeah the holster is a downer while jamming they do rub bad coming out and in. So here is my only question after watching. I called Steyr and asked about new grip modules(fde) and I was told that the grip on the A1 and new A2 is the plate embedded into the grip and not the fcu. While the first batch L9s only the fcu was serialized so it is the part, the new a2 L9 and all of the C9/M9 A2 are serialized on the grip so they won’t be making conversion items like the sig 320. Can you shed some light on this as I hear conflicting information. This part was not from Steyr but ar15.com. Here I heard the reason was a A1 fcu can go into a A2. Any clarification?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The M & A1 guns ( gen 1 too Gen 4 ) serial number is a part of the frame . The A2MF guns ( gen 5 ) the FCU is the Serialised portion . As of 1.2021 . Now if something has changed I haven't seen it .

·
Registered
135 Posts
The M & A1 guns ( gen 1 too Gen 4 ) serial number is a part of the frame . The A2MF guns ( gen 5 ) the FCU is the Serialised portion . As of 1.2021 . Now if something has changed I haven't seen it .
Thank you, getting straight answers from Steyr is a bit hard. Seems like USA side is overwhelmed and gets too little say in the market over here as well. It’s a shame because the products are awesome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts