Steyr Club Forums banner

A Shooter's Education

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  SELFDEFENSE 
The DA/SA vs. DAO Debate.

Most semi-automatic pistols available today are either the single action (hereinafter, SA), double action/single action (hereinafter, DA/SA), or double action only (hereinafter, DAO). There are positives and negatives to each type of action.

The DAO pistol keeps the hammer or striker in a passive or down position that prevents it from firing and only is cocked by the pull of a trigger. This DAO semi-automatic trigger set-up does result in a longer and heavier trigger pull, but it is regarded by those in "the know" as much safer. A DAO pistol is the only type that I feel comfortable carrying with a round chambered because I know that until I pull that trigger there is little chance that the striker will strike the rounds primer and cause a discharge.

So, I can walk around with my concealed pistol (licensed of course) with a round in the chamber ready to fire thanks to the DAO and if I run into a bad guy I don't have to cock back a hammer or pull back a slide to fire. I'm good to go!

The Steyr is a true DAO pistol in that the trigger continues to cock the striker throughout its stroke until it is released. However, Wilhelm Bubits (lead designer and mastermind behind the M-series) was able to provide the safety of the DOA while giving us a feel similiar to a single action trigger. The Steyr has a very short stroke action (1/8") with a very short reset and that overcomes the common problem found in most DAO pistols that have those long trigger pulls.

The DA/SA is a good choice in that the first pull of the trigger is going to act just like your DAO, but the subsequent pulls of the trigger are going to short stroke actions just like a single action. These pistols however are only safe for carrying if it has a decocker or manual safety (some have both).

I'll just mention the single action (hereinafter, SA) briefly. The SA is the way to go if you are in a markmanship event and this is where you'll find your classic 1911 pistols. Great action, but in my opinion not the best type of pistol to carry around unless you've got alot of training due to the safety issue. I wouldn't trust an SA pistol on my hip with a round chambered and cocked.

I think the DAO for concealed carry is the way to go and the Steyr M and M-A1 series are the best in the world as it offers you the safety of the DAO combined with that short stroke we all like about the SA. At the end of the day I want to be ready to fire without having to worry about accidental discharge and the Steyr delivers that.

You know what Uncle_Walty you may have an older Steyr M-series. The first batch of Ms came off the line with an 8 lbs. trigger, but the factory did a recall and upgraded all previous Ms and produced all subsequent Ms with the 5 lbs. trigger. That would explain why the trigger pull is so close to the 8 lbs. range. I could be wrong though and it wouldn't be the first time. :D Seems odd that all three pistols would be from the older production line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.