a question about the Threaded Barrel

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Donovan, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Donovan

Donovan New Member

Hello, guys
    I am interested to know - there is the so called Threaded Barrel 9x19, 115mm, (4-1/2") for Steyr M A1 pistol. As we know it is aprox. 1/2" longer than a factory barrel. So, if we replace the factory barrel the shot from the Threaded Barrel must be more powerful. Thereby what is the affect on the pistol mechanism? Should we use more powerful recoil spring (like Recoil Reduction System for STEYR M-A1) or something else?

Thank you.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No. You'll gain slightly more FPS, but the difference between loads in a batch might account for more of a change than the slight increase in barrel length. You should use the stock recoil spring with the standard and threaded barrels.

3. OffArtist

OffArtist New Member

What he said ^ Also, I have the threaded barrel (bought from one of these fine gents) for the 9. Interestingly enough, I do seem to have feeding (failure to eject) issues every so often in my M9, but not in the A1. The M9 is well worn and well loved but the springs have been replaced with Wolff / BT full length guide rod, so I think it may be a slight diff in sizing / tolerance somewhere. The guys here would know.

4. Steyr Spartan

Steyr Spartan New Member

So long as we are asking threaded barrel questions, I have a few of my own. Will the factory M9-A1 threaded barrel on steyrarms.com work as a drop in, or is there smithing required? Can you enlighten me as to the thread pitch (I assume metric)? Any pictures with the S9-A1? Thanks!!

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It just drops in; thread pitch is 13.5x1LH (same as H&K USPT). It will look ridiculous in a S, but whatever floats your boat. I've never had a malfunction using my threaded barrel without suppressor (I only have A1s).

6. Donovan

Donovan New Member

So long as we are talking about supressor - does the supressor affect somehow on the Steyr M A1 automatics? I mean the supressor has some weight, it is placed on the end of the barrel and I gess it weights down the barrel when the slide is dropping it down. So, what should I know before using this device with the threaded barrel?

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Know that it doesn't matter what brand you buy - a suppressor will necessarily effect the reliability of your gun. A booster is going to be required, and even then the gun will be more "sensitive" to the shooter. With good ammo, mine runs like a champ until the booster starts to get caked up. The most common issue I have had is a failure to lock when the magazine is empty.

Don't obsess about dB ratings. They are all going to be quiet, but only so quiet. Don't spend twice as much to save 2dB on a sound meter - it simply will not matter. I would encourage you to first narrow down your search to the most reputable vendors, then identify the cans that have the most aesthetic appeal to you with the features you need (booster, thread pitch), then let price be your final guide. Do not obsess about what 124dB might sound like versus 127dB - it just isn't worth it.

FWIW I went with an AAC Evo 9 - it was the quietest can on the market when I bought it. If I were shopping today, I'd look hard at SWR and Thompson Machine.

8. Donovan

Donovan New Member

Syntax360
    thank you very much for your useful advice :)
    if I am going to purchase some supressor for the factory threaded barrel (from the SAI store, they unfortunatly do not indicate the thread pitch on the barrel) which supressor would you recommend me exactly for that barrel? I'd be grateful to you for some links to the specific device.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

As I already indicated above, the factory threaded barrel is 13.5X1LH thread pitch. Any of the major suppressor manufacturers will be able to accommodate this fairly standard thread pitch. If you want to spend a fortune, get an AAC Ti-Rant 9 (I would get the 9S); the SWR Octane 9 HD or Thompson Machine Isis-2 would be a good lower-priced alternatives. Thompson Machine's Poseidon is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure how well it would function considering it doesn't have a booster.