A positive sign - BTC and MA1 gunsmithing support

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by kraigster414, Feb 10, 2008.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I just received an email from David Bowie (not the singer) of Bowie Tactical Concepts (BTC) in response to my email asking if he would be interested in taking on the MA1 project, specifically as it relates to trigger work - number 1 on a lot of folk's wish list (myself included). If David is willing, finally the MA1 owner would have at his/her disposal a reputable source for commercial gunsmithing support, just like the XD, Glock, M&P and all the other polymer big boys. Assuming David concludes the project is doable (and we're not there yet), it's going to depend on a few things to make it happen. Number one is the factory's willingness to provide BTC with needed parts, secondly David is going to have to be assured there's sufficient interest, now and in the future - that's where the members come in. I urge you to contact BTC AND Steyr USA and tell them there IS interest, that the factory has to do its part, and that we the American consumer have waited long enough. If Steyr wishes to sustain/gain market share in the US, there has to be greater availability of replacement parts and after-market gunsmithing support. Mr. Bowie can be reached at:

[email protected]

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/

Thanks. And thans to Mugdava for tipping me off about BTC.

By email, a link to this thread has been forwarded to Mr. O. Bauer, Steyr Austria and to Jack R., Steyr USA.

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Kraigster!

Bloody awesome! I've been in contact w/ Mr. Bowie for a couple of weeks now regarding Our beloved Steyr pistols and what He can do for them. David has said that He has done some work to Steyr pistols before, but mostly stippling. He said that "SG" or Short Grip modifications, like I did on my M357-A1, would be fairly easy and cost $70.

We would be very lucky if We could get Mr. Bowie to do His magic on The Steyr. :wink:

I'm dreamin' of a "BTC" Steyr or two in my safe.:twisted:
    _______
    mugdava

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Address the trigger Mug and we've crossed a major hurdle (we already have a great owner's forum). Everything else is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned and the other after-market gizmos and stuff will follow. And I'll be perfectly frank with you....if the factory doesn't do their part by working with the independent gunsmiths, shame on them. Either they (Steyr) are going to make an investment in the American market or they are not. My two centavos.

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'm very curious to hear if SAI has any communication with mr. bowie.

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

'Haven't heard anything from Bowie or Steyr since. The problem is going rear its head if and when Steyr raises the US price on the MA1. Right now the MA1 is an excellent buy at the street price of $350 give or take. Raise the $ so it's in-line with the Glock, XD and M&P (plus or minus $500) and it does not IMHO bode well for the MA1 given the lack of after-market/OEM parts and accessories, and scarcity of gunsmithing support. Ergonomics will only take you so far. Then again, it ain't my company - all I can do is watch on the sidelines and hope for the best. :(

6. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Still nothing from Bowie so I am not encouraged. On the plus side, I have heard some indicators that Scott Springer of Springer Precision may, just may have some interest in taking on the MA1. Scott did a helluva job with my XD45 trigger. If I could get a trigger even close to that in my M9A1, I would be happy.

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Thanks and please keep us posted and let whoever you line up know that there is at least one more person ready to ship his MA1 today....me!!!

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

It's been two months since this thread was started and no positive info to report. I have yet to find anyone willing to take on the MA1 trigger project. What a shame for those who really want more than just a decent but plenty good self defense action. For those of us who own other polymer semi-autos this is a tough pill to swallow. I just got my XD back from Springer Precision. Scott Springer did an exceptional 4# carry trigger that makes all the difference in the world. When asked about the MA1, as expected, he indicated he has more work than he can handle with the XD and because he can't get Steyr parts, it's a non-starter. Somehow fellow MA1 owners, we have to crack this nut. :(

9. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I too feel your pains in this. I have tendonitis and carpal tunnel in both of my hands and would really benefit from a 3.5 lb trigger job. I can't find anyone that is willing to do this for me. I know that BigTaco has a step by step instruction on how reducing the trigger can be accomplished but I am not confident in my abilities to attempt it. Not to mention I don't have the dexterity to try this with small hand tools anymore.

I have sent several emails to SAI pleading with them to open up support for the US gunsmiths and allowing them to get replacement parts. I have yet to get any feedback that gives me hope of this happening anytime in the near future.

If anyone know where I can get this type of work done at a reasonable price, please PM me. I also urge all those that are trying to find someone on their own to do trigger jobs to email SAI in this reguard and urge them to open up the market for aftermarket parts.

10. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

+1. I too have the dredded tendonitis but I just want a better trigger period. :)

Stey, we should compare notes on the tendonitis. I am in phys rehab currently for that one, more due to excessive computer use than shooting. Yep, without parts no gunsmith will attempt to work on a Steyr. Big Taco can help you smooth things out and make the trigger more consistent but he/we cannot address the creep and heavy weight. Darn shame because if this gun had a trigger that could rival the XD, Glock, etc. with minor mods, it would truly be my favorite gun. It wins in the ergonomics category hands-down, even better than my Walther P99.

11. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I agree. These guns are absolutely great in ergos and the trigger isn't "bad" I just think that it could be made to be better. I also think this would be great as a more personallized option.

I emailed SAI about this yesterday and the response was:

So it seems that there might be a fix to the problem of local repair options but there still won't be anyone who will be able to do custom gunsmithing to our styers. I hope this is addressed in the near future but I am not holding my breath.

:arrow: kraigster:
    I have tried rehab for the tendonitis but because of the Carpal Tunnel, it didn't really help. I also do alot of work on computers ( I am a repair tech) and that is what facilitated both of these problems. I also shoot fairly regularly (to the tune of about 500 - 1000 a week) I actually have to have surgery to address my tendonitis now. I am putting it off due to the cost. If you want more info on this feel free to PM me.

Sorry for the slight hijacking there. Now back on topic
    :beer: :mrgreen:

12. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Vaux, would they (Steyr USA) agree to a 4 - 4.5 lb. trigger then? If not their concern for liability is unfounded bordering on paranoia or is indicative of a design issue that does not lend itself to a lighter (and still safe) trigger. One or the other or a combination of both. A 4-4.5 lb. trigger is hardly a "hair trigger" and is the norm in sa/da Walthers, Sigs, HK's, Glocks (with a connector swap) and all quality sa 1911s. If they would agree to selling parts, I think private gunsmiths would willingly take the project on. Springfield Armory on the other hand has no problem performing after-sale 4# trigger jobs on their XD's for a price of course.

I'll message you on the tendonitis. :)

13. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I do not know about the 4-4.5lbs trigger job. I have not recieved anything back about it yet. They keep saying something about "company policy type work" whatever that exactly means. I have been in discussion about whether or not they are going to open up the market for aftermarket replacement parts and have not recieved a definative response.

Usually SAI is great about answering questions and more to that fact so too are the Steyr-Mannlicher company from Austria. I am just getting the run around on the answers to these questions.

I am actually looking for someone that is willing to take on the attempt to do a 4lb trigger or even lighter. I would prefer a 3.5lbs trigger but will settle for as little as 4.5lbs. If anyone know where I can send my gun to have this done please let me know through PM

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

You've done better in getting a response out of them than I have. :) I'd gladly settle for a crisp 4-4.5 lb trigger in my M9A1 versus the creepy 5.75 lb. trigger I now have. And not to beat a dead horse, no enterprising/competent gunsmith is going to take it on without a guarantee of parts. What a shame. Address the trigger and the MA1 is one helluva gun and a gun you couldn't shoot enough.

15. Vauxurellius

Vauxurellius Guest

I am not satisfied with the response that I have got. I am going to keep up with this until I get a definitive answer as to when we can expect parts. I hope that others will join the fight.

Good luck to all those fighting to get this .

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

SAI has it's hands tied by limited parts support from Austria-Steyr. I'll bet Austrian Steyr is ambivalent about the pistol seriesn in the US, they sure as hell don't act like they want to sell any. They probably won't spend any money (Parts supply) on this market until all the dumped surplus pistols at CDNN are sold.