A New Toy

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

When I got back into shooting last year after a ten year hiatus Walthers were very high on my list. Originally I had wanted a P88, but when the P99 came out that was it. The first gun that I bought was a .40S&W P99. I also added an SW99 in .45. Several guns have been added since the P99, including all of my Steyrs, but a P99 compact was still high on the list. Last year I saw many compacts for sale, but in the apst few months the numbers have been drying up and the prices beginning to really go up. I decided now was the time.

This past weekend I located used but mint P99 compact in 9mm. While it would have been easier to go with another .40, 9mm seemed the way to go with such a small gun. I ended up with a choice between a new .40 AS trigger for $650 or a used but mint QA trigger for $499. I had looked around and considering the condition of the gun, $499 was reasonable, but not cheap. The top photo in the link below is the gun stock with the 10 round mag. The bottom photo is with a full size 15 round mag and grip extender that just arrived from Germany, a fairly new item. I bought the extenders before I even bought the gun. Failing to use the extender can damage the gun.

BTW, the gun only comes with one of the mags with the pinky extended floorplate. Some places on the web are charging $10 a pop. I called Walther USA yesterday and got seven of them for something like $2.50 each. It's usually cheaper to buy S&W SW99 magazines and add the Walther floorplate. The mags are otherwise identical.

This will give the S4 a run for its money as a carry gun.

http://decor-20.slide.com/r/1/7/dl/bnyB ... /watermark

Buzz

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Good call on the 9mm - my friend has a SW99 compact and that thing is an absolute beast. His provides FTE's pretty reliably, probably due to limp wristing from all the snap. Everyone I've seen shoot the thing has had at least one feeding/extraction problem.

I know the Walther is a (slightly) different gun, but I've had a stigma with the compact P99 and SW99 ever since...

They are very compact and conceal quite well. I think a 9mm would be an excellent carry weapon - congrats on the acquisition!

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Does your friend have the .40?

Buzz

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Yes - SW99 compact .40S&W. Like I said, I'm not a fan, but 9mm in a similar package would probably be great.

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Nice Walther, Buzz.

I recently left behind my many years as a 9mm snob and have picked up two different 9mms in about the past month, a slightly worn Hungarian FEG clone of the Browning Hi-Power and a used but not abused S&W 669.

Both of them are a great pleasure to shoot and make me wonder why I was so hard-headed for so long?

Being a Vietnam War Navy vet, the only pistols I had more than just passing experience with were 1911s and I, like many other older vets, considered it sheer heresy when the services abandoned 1911s for Beretta 9mms.

I still rank 357 Sig my favorite caliber with 10mm close behind, but 9mm is a great caliber, too, especially for small, easily concealable guns, such as your Walther P99 and my S&W 669. Who knows how many more 9s out there are calling my name and I haven't met them yet? :mrgreen:

6. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have never like the .40 in a light compact. How is the Walther trigger?

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I haven't shot it yet. I will this weekend. From dry firing (it's a QA) I'd compare it somewhat to the Steyr or the Glock, but very consistent all the way through the pull, more like a double action revolver. I suppose I'd like it a bit better if it was a tad lighter pull, but the real test will be in shooting it. I've found that its hard to judge what a trigger will feel like on follow-up shots from just dry firing. Plus, this gun has had very few rounds through it, so I would expect some change in the trigger with some use.

I'm going to be dry firing it tonight so I'll really get to know it.

As to the .40 compact, I've heard again and again from people that they regret getting it in .40. Others like it. I would be concerned about follow-up shots in .40.

Buzz

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

After spending more time dry firing the QA trigger I'd have to say that it really isn't anything too much like a Glock, Steyr, or a revolver. It's a much shorter pull, pretty much constant from start to break. I'd guess it to be around ten pounds, maybe a hair more. I think for self-defense/carry applications it will be perfect. For target shooting I'd go with the AS trigger of my full size.

On another note, a remarkable feature is the ease of changing sights. I was aware that the front sight was a snap to replace and have done so numerous times, but it turns out that the rear sight is even easier. A little plunger next to the sight is depressed and the sight slides right out. It will be nice installing a set of Trijicons, or more probably Meprolights, without needing a gunsmith.

Buzz

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"It will be nice installing a set of Trijicons, or more probably Meprolights, without needing a gunsmith. "
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Buzz, that is a non-trivial advantage I never heard of before.

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I watched the following video on P99 sight changing (from the Walther Forum) and I was amazed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1RmXwetyYU

Buzz