a new owner + a question

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by zero, Dec 23, 2006.

1. zero

zero New Member

hello everyone, i just want say i'm a new owner of an m9a1. i don't have it yet but, it'll be here after 10 days. :)
    now for a question. isnt it that new guns are oiled and in the plastic bags? the reason why i'm asking is...the gun that they showed me looks like way too dry for a brand new one. new guns i've seen are oiled and in the plastic bags.
    am i right to assume that the gun is not new or at least it's a display item?
    thanks

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

if it was used the inside may have some brass flake though it could have a congealed factory grease if new. look for difference in finish in frame and slide rails for use and wear. war marks on the sear or striker.

mine came with a dry look to them. believe most companies use grease for shipping and not in a plastic bag.

even my semi gloss finished Steyrs had a dull flat dry look them when new in fact my second M40 which has 500 rounds through still has a dry look to the semi gloss finish. keep it stored in original box and dont handle it much used to work the slide on it took it out once with second m9 shot both all day cleaned them put them back in the safe where they sit undisturbed different days back then wasnt sure I would have spare parts.

add oil the the newer finish and it should easily show spots of oil in the finish and change color winding up slightly darker. old semi gloss will go from dull gloss to slight sheen

look at the magazines and maybe take the magazine apart to know for sure. magazine has brass flakes its been used then question is was it the factory or the store. most cases I think its the store. one of my steyrs was preshot by the store. :x

3. Tartan427

Tartan427 New Member

I recently picked up a CZ 75 duo-tone Compact in 9mm. CZ ships the weapon completely covered in some sort of grease in a plastic bag. When I picked it up at the dealer, we had to get a towel to wipe off the goo in an effort to confirm the serial number. Since the weapon is black polycoat and satin nickel, the grease comes off without too much difficulty.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

My M9 was dry but had no wear marks or flakes, so dryness is not necessarily an indication of use.

5. HIBACHI

HIBACHI Guest

I have purchased several new in-the-box handguns and most of them had a small amount of fouling around the firing pin. Would be a little suspicious of any gun that didn't look like it had been fired at the factory.
    CZ,Ruger,KelTek,S&W,Kimber. Clean,oil,and enjoy.

6. zero

zero New Member

thanks a lot guys.

7. ronin67

ronin67 Guest

One thing I was expecting with my new Steyr M357-A1 was expended shell casings like I normally get when I buy a new Glock. I couldn't find one in the case my Steyr came in. Broke the pistol apart and the barrel seemed dirty like some rounds were fired through it. Does Steyr even include any expended shell casings with new pistols???

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin :D

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Ronin* :)

I got my M357-A1 NIB. Had 2 12-round mags, 2 keys, manual...no test cases. My Walthers did and I believe my little Bersa Thunder did, as well. My Springfield Champ didn't. <shrug> I'm tryin' to think whether or not my M357-A1 hada 20 meter test target. Hmmmm...don't think so. Oh well, gotta go an get some eggnogg. Hava great X-Mas.

Wulf

9. zero

zero New Member

ronin, once i receive my gun i'll take it apart and check everything then, i'll you know what it looks like. :)

10. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

manufacturers of all things steel routinely pack rust prone parts in cosmoline surrounded either by plastic or an oil drenched cloth. this is purely for rust prevention.

steyr's, having most metal parts tennifered don't need this rust protection on their exterior surfaces.

many of the little springs interior to the gun are susceptible to rusting.

this is why it's imperative to disassemble the gun and cleanout the goo that can be found around the sear mechanism, mag release spring and firing pin for optimal performance.

11. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Iv'e never had a spent shell in my guns. I think some makers only include in states where it is required; others do it in all their guns.