A few quesions about SSG 04 (A1) and SSG 08

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by UA-AU, Nov 25, 2012.

1. UA-AU

UA-AU New Member

Gentlemen,

I've got a few questions about Steyr rifles:

1. What is the practical difference between SSG 04 and 04 A1 models? I understand that it is a chassis, and that one can mount some extra stuff on it, and that it looks cool :) but any other tangible difference than that? Accuracy, recoil, etc.?

2. Is it possible (and if yes, how easy it would be) to purchase a SSG 04 model, and to convert it into 04 A1 by purchasing a chassis some time later? Would it be possible to do the other way around - to purchase a SSG 04 A1 model and then detach the chassis if the weight becomes an issue?

3. What is the practical (tangible) difference between SSG 04 A1 and SSG 08 model? Again, apart from a cool look and folding stock?

4. What is the price for a brand new SSG 04, SSG 04 A1 and SSG 08 in the USA? I've found lots of references to RRPs, but sometimes they are different from the real ones...

5. Any feedback/impressions/comments/advices form SSG models owners will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but here in Australia we don't have that many of Steyr owners, so going to a local club and asking a question, unfortunately, is not an option...

Cheers

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Welcome to the SteyrClub!

Hey, we're local, we're worldwide, so we're always local!

On the otherhand, I'll let the more knowledgeable of our members fill you in on the ins and outs of SSG ownership (I lust after one, but it's not in the budget yet).

3. UA-AU

UA-AU New Member

Guys,

I asked the same questions on the Sniper's Hide forum, and my post was one of very few, which didn't have any response on it... :-(

Is something wrong with my questions? Are Steyr rifles so exotic that there an no people knowing even their prices in the USA, or having any kind of personal impression about these rifles? Even in the Steyr Club? I'm confused...

4. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I wouldn't say that there's any thing wrong with your questions. I don't have one, so my comments would kind of be worthless, right? Most of the Steyr SSG owners have been offshore, rather than here in the US. Why, I don't really know.

The prices you can find on the SteyrArms website, they have the downloadable pricelist - list prices. Discounts are available, but only when the rifles are in stock. Spectre Arms in Spring, TX has sold several of them, but I have no idea what the prices were.

A US tactical publication just gave the latest SSG a rave review, comparing it with a Savage 110 both in 338 Lapua. Realize, that over here, a $6800 rifle is not exactly going to fly off the shelves. For that price, a lot of people are buying the HS50 instead. Both rifles beg you to reload unless you're made of cubic $$$.

Just my thoughts.

5. Bushdog

Bushdog New Member

Nothing wrong with your question, BUT in order to answer it honestly, one needs to own, or at least have a decent amount of trigger time with both an SSG 04 and an 04 A1.
    I own an SSG 04, but have never even seen an A1 fired, so cannot really answer your question about the comparison.

You may have seen that I have commented on a couple of previous posts about the SSG 04 that I think the fore end is not really stiff enough. I suspect the A1 would address this, but as I have never fired one and not had the chance to handle one other than at a dealers, I am not in a position to really say. Likewise the possibility of swapping out the stock/chassis - I suspect it would be pretty straightforward, but I haven't done it, so I can't say.

Maybe now you'll begin to see why you haven't had a lot of responses to your question?

6. dips123

dips123 New Member

Mate,

I just got an SSG04 A1 last week. I put a Kahles K624 scope on it. Great bit of kit, took it out for the first time during the week and it shot .5moa groups with federal premium 130gr hollow points at 100m. I am not a great shot either.

Can't help you with y our other questions though sorry but they are imported through Winchester and it set me back 5500 but it retails at 6000 here in Aust. I just went to my local dealer and ordered it, I was waiting for an SSG69 for 5months but go sick of waiting for it so decided to upgrade as they had one SSG04A1 in stock.

Plan on shooting it out to 800m over Christmas with some FMJ rounds so I can let you know how it goes. I have posted some stuff on shooting.com.au have a look.

7. UA-AU

UA-AU New Member

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all of you for your responses. It looks like Winchester Australia has just helped me to make my choice, advertised a special price for Steyr Pro Varmint of $1,995 which is a very similar to the price in the USA, unlike the previous price for this model of circa $3,000 (I know, the prices are crazy here in Australia).

I hope the stock of the Pro Varmint will be stiff enough to allow accurate shooting at around 1,000 yards (obviously, withing limitations of the 24" barrel).

I'll be placing the order tomorrow...

Cheers