A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrApathy, Dec 27, 2006.

1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

its a long read but for those of you windows users I would suggest you take a look, it outlines the end of the Personal Computer.

2. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

No it outlines the end of the dominance of Microsoft Windows in the Personal Computer market.

There are several easy to use, newbie friendly Linux distributions out there and Macs are getting more competitive price wise.

I dumped Windows for Linux a couple of years ago (and then dumped Linux for Mac).

I haven't looked back.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

check the other thread here comes Trusted Computing

doesnt matter what you have Rpc,Intel Mac,Cell Phone.

TPM chips will be in all new hardware the hardware is out already new motherboards have them, so does Intel Macs. the software model is in Vista,Mac OS and its being implemented in Linux.

Mac Security: The Evil DRM Chip Is Bolted Inside The New Intel Macs?

some 100+ corporations are in on it. Microsoft has the biggest market share they will do a good job with the backing they have unless people totally shun the new hardware and software. msnbc can give nice propaganda news on it why people should accept this wonderfull new security instead of liberty. show bunch of pieces on hackers in the news.

lookup the trouble linux is having with Novell and Microsoft.

not very hard to find websites on DRM,TPM,TCPA,TCG

4. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Mr. A, my question is, if you don't use your computer for a lot of multimedia stuff, just going online, and doing regular computer things (Word, Excel, etc.), is this a major concern to me?

I don't use my computer to watch DVD's, but I do listen to music while surfing sometimes. That's about the extent of my "multimedia" experience. If I want to watch a movie, I have a DVD player and TV to watch it on, not my computer. (I also don't play games on my computer, I don't own an X-box or PSP, or Wii, or any of that crap either.)

My (limited) understanding of this article is that, only allowing protected content, they are attempting to keep piracy down by only allowing content that has been released (read: bought) from the OEM or originator of the media. However, the beef is that only new media is "protected", and by using it, the "protected" hardware is now turned on and the "unprotected" hardware is now turned off, for good. If you are trying to use older media, since you have already enabled the "protected" hardware, the "unprotected" hardware won't work for the older stuff. Am I reading this right?

Thanks for posting the article though, it's good to keep an eye on what Big Brother has planned for us!

Paul

5. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

microsoft programs will most likely conform to DRM and TPM been macro viruses and keypad virusses to monitor peoples keystrokes and record. Websites are bound to have DRM and TPM authentication.

any program you have to pay for will most likely have product activation DRM and TPM authentication. the software will be locked to your hardware configuration and you wont be able to load it on another pc with DRM,TPM setup.

websites that have forums and membership could use tpm specially if its paid membership.

its not just big brother but big corporations a new model for businesses to nickel and dime people with the same move restrict the data they have,use and exchange.

security layer on all software and hardware to deal with viruses and hackers.

as for your music is it on a cd in the disk drive or is it on the harddrive in mp3,wmv or another proprietary format?

not sure what will become of ripping software for cd's

music may need to be tpm authenticated with a server to run properly otherwise DRM software will reject it hardware wont be authenticated to run or it may run but at low quality.

sony one day decided to sell restricted content cd's did quite a bit more than just restrict content. destroyed some cd players in pc's
    and installed rootkit so the system was open to attack.
    heres a link to Sony BMG settlement info. Sony put some invasive software on music cd's some of which did some very bad things to peoples computer to prevent fair use.
    http://www.eff.org/sony/

more info on what Sony did http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/Sony-BMG/
    list of affected cd's http://www.sonybmgcdtechsettlement.com/CDList.htm

at the moment its a little wait and see.
    hope for the best prepare for the worst.

6. English

English New Member

How very frightening. This is similar to allowing human DNA or plant varieties which have long existed in third worls countries to be patented by first world corporations. Patent laws and copyright laws were created by governments for the protection and greater good of their people by giving a reasonable but limited reward for the entrepreneurial costs of innovation. This is not how big businesses are now using them and it is time for countries to change their laws.

English

7. ScottW

ScottW Guest

Without reading all of the intial post, I'll just say this:
    I'm glad there are a lot of bored 15-year-olds in Sweden to hack this big brother crap for the rest of us!

As for hardware protection, the Playstation 2 has hardware protection against playing copied games. People have made chips you solder onto the mainboard that spoof the console into believing a copied disc is an original. A similar thing will probably happen to the newer Macs (chip on motherboard) and other chips will be created to get around anything Vista imposes. The hacking will no longer be exclusively software-oriented, but will involve hardware. One thing's for sure, I won't be installing Vista for the next couple of years at least. Heck, my Windoze box at home still runs Win 2000 Pro. Gotta wait for all the bugs to be worked out, and give non-MS employees time to improvise solutions. :wink:

The more problems with Vista, the happier I'll be because it will hasten the migration of Microsloth-dependent folks to other operating systems, which is a good thing.

What's really hilarious is that the major new look & feel of Vista, and the new Internet Exploiter 7, have just now caught up to things my Mac with OS X, and the Firefox browser, were able to do 5 years ago! I don't see much true innovation coming out of Redmond lately.

8. English

English New Member

ScottW,

I think you should read all the original post. If the poster is only 15 he is doing a really good job.

The important thing about it is not that there will be a difference in the motherboard which might or might not be fixable with a soldered in chip but that:
    a) All internal communications between Motherboard and Graphics board and so on have to be encyphered and decyphered at each end so that they cannot be picked up and used between transmission and reception.
    b) this requires changes throughout the computer which add cost and complexity.
    c) All components have to be microsoft certified and all have to have a means of disabling them remotely if they show evidence of tampering. Such tampering is measured on a numerical scale and supply voltage spikes could add to the count.
    d) Devices could be turned off en mass if it is believed that they are operating counter to the protection policy.
    e) This means that all modern computers will be collecting and reporting data which indicates non compliance.
    f) Even computers which do not have anything to do with HD reproduction could have devices disabled if there is a generic ban or if they make a false report.
    g) The only escape from this would be never to connect to the internet.

It is clear that many board manufacturers are unhappy with the costs and performance problems being forced on them but that the power of MS is too great for them to resist. As an aside perhaps it is significant that all the 965 Intel motherboard chipsets perform a little worse than the 965 chipsets even though they are a higher ranking and more expensive chipset.

The content providers should be even more worried, according to the OP because this will give MS a stranglehold on delivery, rather like Apple's stranglehold on music delivery. This will let MS dictate terms to the content providers.

If you don't find that frightening, I do. The main hope that I can see is that MS has been widely optimistic in what it is demanding and that its specs are extremely vague. This, combined with MS's general incompetence gives some hope but MS's power and ruthlessness more than counteracts that.

English