Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a question. How much money do you think the Gubment wasted by sending me, and likely everyone else, a letter in the mail telling me they were sending me the Census survey?

·
Registered
200 Posts
considering just the stamp is over 40 cents then I would say about150 million maybe a lil less than a dollar per house hold, huge waste of time and our money...

·
Registered
109 Posts
The pre-census notifications were a cause of many problems for us at the Postal sorting facilities(at least they were at the facility I maintain) The envelopes were substandard and subsequently repeatedly jammed the automated sorting equipment. This increased maintenance labor costs and delayed the delivery of other first class mail. So the cost of this completely ridiculous and unnecessary piece of bureaucratic nonsense is even higher than it first appears.

OTH, would you expect anything different from our illustrious leaders?

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Their rationale for the letter is that studies show they will get a better, more accurate response if they notify people in advance that the census will be taking place (how much did that study cost?). Because it costs something like $50 per household to send someone out, they hope to reduce the need to door-to-door visits with a sizable mail-return sample.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw this on another site, and thought it was interesting...just might print it out and include it with my census.

To Whom it May Concern,
Pursuant to Article I, Section 2, Clause 3 of the Constitution, the only information you are empowered to request is the total
number of occupants at this address. My "name, sex, age, date of birth, race, ethnicity, telephone number, relationship and
housing tenure" have absolutely nothing to do with apportioning direct taxes or determining the number of representatives in the House of Representatives. Therefore, neither Congress nor the Census Bureau have the constitutional authority to make that information request a component of the enumeration outlined in Article I, Section 2, Clause 3. In addition, I cannot be subject to a fine for basing my conduct on the Constitution because that document trumps laws passed by Congress.
Interstate Commerce Commission v. Brimson, 154 U.S. 447, 479 (May 26, 1894)
"Neither branch of the legislative department [House of Representatives or Senate], still less any merely administrative body [such as the Census Bureau], established by congress, possesses, or can be invested with, a general power of making inquiry into the private affairs of the citizen. Kilbourn v. Thompson, 103 U.S. 168, 190. We said in Boyd v. U.S., 116 U. S. 616, 630, 6 Sup. Ct. 524,―and it cannot be too often repeated,―that the principles that embody the essence of constitutional liberty and security forbid all invasions on the part of government and it's employees of the sanctity of a man's home and the privacies of his life.
As said by Mr. Justice Field in Re Pacific Ry. Commission, 32 Fed. 241, 250, of all the rights of the citizen, few are of greater importance or more essential to his peace and happiness than the right of personal security, and that involves, not merely protection of his person from assault, but exemption of his private affairs, books, and papers from inspection and scrutiny of others. Without the enjoyment of this right, all others would lose half their value.'"
Note: This United States Supreme Court case has never been overturned.
Respectfully,
A Citizen of the United States of America

·
Registered
200 Posts
It really aggravates me that there are boxes on this damn census for nationalities of east asia,different types of latino, and if you put your native american or Inuit than you must specify tribe. However, white is white on here and I think that is boring, belittling. I know that white people have always been the traditional bearers of power in this country, and the inclusion or exclusion of "white" used to mean somthing, But a person of Nordic decent is at least as different from a Greek or Turk than a Chinese person is from a Korean, both of which have their own box. Not to say I am opposed to being lumped together with a mediteranian group of people, I just think if they need to know what everyone is make it even across the board. I happen to feel that this single white box is yet another representation of the "man" and is disrespectful to people. I propose to replace white with european and north western Asian nationalities, and if someone is more than 2 nationalities/ races then have them simply list themselves American!!!!:salute:

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i received my census packet yesterday.

filled out names, age and sex.......nothing more.

to hell with the nationality B.S. aren't we all supposed to be AMERICANS?

a lot of questions about who's staying where etc....no, i don't run a FLOP house.

i guess this is the generation of "I Stay AT.........."

sewerman

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I filled out nothing more than the single box asking how many citizens resided at this residence: no names, ages, sexes, races, incomes, nothing but the number.

:bs:

My wife has been instructed that she is to give out no other information should the census hAyCORN reps call or visit. She doesn't do well (read polite) when people try to bully something out of her. :rofl: It would be fun to watch. :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The Census Bureau is welcome to all the stats the they can glean from the mumber of people living at our residence address.
Nothing else will be forthcoming. It's simply none of their damn business in a "race nuetral"
society, if it is what they profess it to be.
I don't believe it...but that is their claim...not mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sooooooooo, why did they ask me if I was Hispanic, before if I was any other, on a totally separate question.

Why does Dell/ Mozilla underline Hispanic if I don't capitalize it? That's right because white is a color not a race.

How about we just call ourselves by what culture we adopt. Wouldn't that be better for everyone? No more *******, more Uncle Toms. Heck, we could all just be Americans!

LET'S HAVE A RACIAL DRAFT!

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=162807

fershizzle!

·
Registered
876 Posts
We got the "long form" last go-round. I threw it away. They called for a month and I ignored it. They came by the house 3 times and left notes. Finally, I answered the door to an elderly lady who was quite polite. She told me that she understood my stance and would ask me each question. I could respond "No Answer" to any of them and she would put that down but that she had to ask each question AND I had to give a verbal reply. It took 10 mins for me to say "No Answer" all those times. She then thanked me with a smile and left. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
That form is a privacy violation by Big Brother community organizer, and the Republicans don't even make a wimper.

We got the "long form" last go-round. I threw it away. They called for a month and I ignored it. They came by the house 3 times and left notes. Finally, I answered the door to an elderly lady who was quite polite. She told me that she understood my stance and would ask me each question. I could respond "No Answer" to any of them and she would put that down but that she had to ask each question AND I had to give a verbal reply. It took 10 mins for me to say "No Answer" all those times. She then thanked me with a smile and left. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I'm still thinking about registering as a Chinese, Chicano, Muslim - put that in one of your little bins guys!

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I'm a lot more comfortable refusing to fill anything out than filling it out fraudulently...

Now that I've thought about it though, I do wish I'd filled out the race box. Perhaps it's time that I joined the vaunted ranks of the "hyphenated American."

What do y'all think about my race being listed as "American-American?" I think I like the ring of that...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
last few times i've just been writing in, "human" ,under race and mailing it back.

doesnt seem to work on gun purchase forms though or with the drivers license folks.
they generally insist on a more definitive response or look at me and check something off.
the people at the library were cool with it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts