9mm vs 40 and more...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by briang2ad, Aug 31, 2007.

1. briang2ad

briang2ad New Member

Folks:

I am starting to eye plastic guns. From the feel in the shop, I like the Steyr best. Does this pistol 'feel' good and handle the recoil well in 40? Does it do as well as 9mm in terms of function? Accuracy? (Anyone own a CZ 75 that can compare it to a steel framed pistol?

How does trigger compare to a Glock. The couple I have felt had a nice crisp letoff, but there was a bit of creep. (Not much different than a CZ with "camming "though.

How do they compare to the SW MP and XD. (I just think the Steyr looks way cool in comparison).

I already figure after market support won't be like Glock - but I don't like the block.

How WILL customer service be after all the new management is settled. As good as SW? Do they make you ship it in on your dime?

Thanks.

2. Boyandhisdog

Boyandhisdog Guest

well I am holding in my hand a brand new M9-A1. My first but certainly not my last Steyr. I own a Glock23 and a M&P 40. The feel of the grip on the steyer is better than both. Even with the different palm grips that M&P's come with I still like the ergonomics and size of the steyer better. I haven't actually fired the Steyer yet but the trigger seems to be close to the same weight as the Glock. A little lighter actually with no where near the travel. Before cleaning it has the same feeling crispwise. In all honesty, I don't like the M&P trigger at all. It comes in at an easy 6.5 lbs and has about the same amount of travel as the Glock which comes in at 5.5 lbs. I dont think the M&P is going to be in my home for long TBH.

Thats my findings so far... off to clean and lube the new baby.

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I have CCWed Glock 19, 17L, 26, & 21 and the trigger on my M9 is the best I have had out of the box. Ergonomics much better, like the sights better for self defense, Steyr .40 is one of the softest (although I'm not a .40 fan), accuracy better than I am, SAI customer service is reported excellent (although I have not had to use it).

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

while I only have the original Steyr M I have in 9mm and 40sw I also have a pair of S&W Sigma's in 9mm and 40sw.

the Steyr handles both calibers better. in 9mm the steyr is a tack driver and the 40sw is pretty accurate.
    though my sigma's are accurate the trigger requires more skill which I am not quite providing to be as accurate with my steyr's.

shipping Steyr you pay the way to them believe they return it on there dime.

I have had the misfortune of using S&W's service. its not what it could be and many would say same of steyr always room for improvement.
    its about a toss up though steyr's us office in the US is smaller and friendlier.
    management change hasnt changed anything in US as far as I know except
    maybe giving the US office headaches though think that has settled some with new owner but not sure been while since I asked.

S&W service has some jerks that wont help you.

5. briang2ad

briang2ad New Member

What about convertability?

I suppose you can drop in a 357 SIG barrel into the forty? I guess the 9mm is what it is because the bolt face is different.

6. Dag

Dag Guest

Steyr vs XD

Hi briang2ad

I own both an XD-40 Tactical (5" barrel) and an M40-A1. Both are outstanding pistols. For me, the XD shoots "softer", and has a more positive ejection. The XD is more accurate, most likely due to the longer barrel. Muzzle flip is about the same, which is interesting, because the XD has a longer barrel. I'm sure that's due to the lower bore axis of the Steyr. I LOVE the triangle/trapazoid sights on the M40-A1, and the grip is simply the best of any pistol I've ever held. Which do I like better? Well ... it's really a close call, and you wouldn't go wrong with either gun, but right now, the Steyr is my #1 SD gun. Yeah, it's a keeper! Have heard some very good reports on the Baby Desert Eagle, which is based on the CZ75, but I haven't held or shot one yet. Let us know how your decision process is going.

Dag

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

I've owned several polymer 40's

Walther P99
    Glock 23
    Glock22
    Glock 27
    Steyr M40
    Steyr M40A1

I also own the P99 in 9mm and the Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm

The Steyr shoots with less muzzle flip and less felt recoil than any of the others.

8. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

steyrs service is top notch. they will bend over backwards for you.