9mm suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ChillyWilly, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Whats up fellas, I am going to buy a 9mm and am looking for suggestions. I am 80% decided on a CZ P01 but I just want to make sure I am not forgetting any brands. Also, please let me know why you are recommending a particular gun, there are a lot of things to consider when purchasing a gun....so many, that I often forget a few of them until its too late....

Thanks

Jerry

2. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'd recommend a number of guns. Assuming you already have a M9A1 I'd say to take a good look at the steel framed Baby Eagles, either the full size or semi-compact. Also, the Walther P99 in both full size or compact are fine guns. The ex-police Walther P1 is an incredibly fine shooting gun and can be had for around $300. This gun has really amazed me. The Sig 226 is a classic, not to mention an FN Hi Power or Sig 239 (on my wish list but in .357). Any HK in 9mm will be fine. Not to mention the Beretta PX4. The new Armalite AR24 looks interesting as well.

Buzz

3. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

well, i hear steyr has a fine 9mm pistol available at clearance prices thru CDNN.':)'
    but i think you have mentioned already having one of those.

are ya sure livin in california precludes the ownership of one of those nice used HK P7s ?
    http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

the one my buddy has shoots real nice, and given some extra money i'd have one.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

+1!!!!!!

[Actually, +3......]

:wink: :wink:

5. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey ChillyWilly!

Living in California does take a few nice candidates out of the running, I know! Even so there's still some fine options still available to Us, like The P7M8. One that hasn't been suggested yet, but is a great weapon is The S&W M&P 9mm. It's only hang up for most shooters is the trigger, but I found it very easy to master and very pleasant to shoot.
    _______
    mugdava

6. QPluralisT

QPluralisT Guest

I say stick with the CZ P-01, or grab a Steyr M9-A1 for a bit cheaper on CDNN. Either way, you will be a very happy shooter.

One of the benefits of the CZ P-01 is the ability to buy the Kadet 22LR kit later on for cheaper plinking needs. I own a CZ 97B and I can assure you CZ stands for quality.

however if your needs are a reliable and affordable 9mm, then the Steyr M9-A1 is really hard to beat.

Either way, you end up with a quality pistol and the great communities that come with them. :D

Happy choosing!

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

A truly great gun. I love mine.

Buzz

8. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

My first choice was a H&K P7PSP form CDNN for about $600 if I recall for the excellent to new catagory but Crapifornia does'nt allow the PSP version because it hasn't been idio....err I mean drop tested....I'd have to get the M8 which is about $1400. If I spend $1400 I'm building my own 1911.... I am going to check out some of your suggestions. As for price range I want to keep in the $600 vacinity. I was looking at some slighly used sigs but I was kind of thrown off by their not so tight tollerances. The slides jiggled, both used and new so I did not feel so good about them. Maybe a 226. As for the M&P at first I did not like the trigger but its grown on me. I'll check the others.

Thanks

9. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Chilly, there are a lot of guns out there that have those "not so tight" tolerance build into them, especially the modualr designs. There are other guns out there that depend on really tight tolerances that go all to heck when those tolerances loosen up with use. I'd have absolutely no concerns about Sigs.

Buzz

10. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yep, Sigs are just fine even if they seem a bit loose! In fact, most polymer HK's seem a bit loose, but that doesn't stop 'em from being top notch firearms! :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Simple curiosity Gentlemen......

I am just wondering why so many seem to like pistols designed with the bore axis so much higher above the grip?

I find weapons with a lower bore axis have less muzzle flip and better 2nd [and 3rd or 4th.....] shot placement....

Please educate me, Gents!

:? :?

12. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

+4 Israeli steel goodness.

13. Wayne Gerringer

Wayne Gerringer Guest

Despite the higher bore axis, they are extremely reliable, robust pistols. Mine have been anyway. I've never experienced a single malfunction in any of them. They have reliably digested everything I've ever fed them and they've never required any smithing or returns to SIG for warranty work.

Follow up shots are as fast (for me) as any of my other pistols--Steyr M9A1 included.

Furthermore, they have arguably the best feeling TDA available. They also shoot well and feel great in my hand.

My guess would be that all these SIG recommendations are the result of others having similar experiences with their SIGs.

Just my .02, of course, YMMV.

14. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Babj!

For me bore axis is a very small factor when contemplating a new firearm. Dependability, trigger, sights, and over all feel(not just ergonomics!) are top factors for me. Of the five top pistols in my collection only The P7M8 has a lower bore axis, but I'd run my TRP, Expert, Match, and Sig 1911 against any lower bore pistol! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

15. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Gotta agree, bore axis is just one factor and not always that big of a variable as there are other ways to tame muzzle flip. Reliability and accuracy come first and HK and Sig both excell in that regard as do other higher bore axis guns.

Buzz

16. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

ChillyWilly, did you see the video review of the CZ P01 from the American Handgunner site? Dave Anderson reviews and test fires the CZ-75 SP-01. Looks pretty good.

I have a personal preference for S&W semi-autos and have seen several very nice used 9mms in local gun shops for very reasonable prices. I picked up a S&W 669 subcompact with 3.5" barrel a while back for a mere $300 on a trade. It's my favorite 9mm pistol, but then I only have two so that's faint praise. My other 9 is my pocket Kel-Tec PF-9. Every time another shooter holds my 669, they try to buy it from me. No sale. :mrgreen:

I'm a lefty so I particularly like the double decocker/safety levers on most Smith 9s, one on each side, so you can carry with one in the pipe, decocked and on safe. Flip it off and the first shot is DA, then you transition to SA. You can also find DAO S&W 9mms both new and used. Most Smith 9s are user friendly for righties as well as lefties.

The S&W Sigma series 9mms are frequently on sale for less than $300, but I have no experience with them. But of the S&W pistols I have shot, I have yet to find a bad one. :mrgreen:

17. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Hey Babj, that's not to say that a nice low bore axis isn't a good thing, and if the HK USP has a down point that's it.

Buzz

18. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I live in LA and work in Malibu so there was no work today (wildfires buringing down malibu) and with all the important stuff I have to do that I could have done I went and bought the CZ....so in 10 days I'll have a new range companion....a CZ P01...

Oh yeah thanks for all the suggestions they were not in vain I did check out each gun even the armalite one....and on the Sig and H&K well those are on the list for the next purchase....a Sig P220 (yes I am one of those rare folks who like this gun over the 1911, just feels like 100% natural grade AAA tities in the hand)....and eventually a P7M8, one day....

19. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I love my Walther P99 (AS trigger) in 9mm. Can't say enough good things about it.

[​IMG]

20. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Actually this would have been my choice but I wanted something not made by rubbermaid or tupperware (a general cap on all plastic pistols not specifically your walther)