9mm: M&P vs M9-A1

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Gray_Wolf, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Anyone owns both Steyr and S&W M&P? How do they compare in reliability, accuraty? Which one is better quality, which gun has a better trigger?

which one do you like better? be honest :p

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

M&P has a 6-6.5lbs trigger. couple smiths can do trigger jobs on it. 1 smith has 2 different jobs.
    Steyr subframe is nicer than M&P.

sounds like M&P has tight chamber though not as bad as a Steyr.
    saw someone was running into rifling with handloads of with Lead bullets.

some M&P's are having broken striker issues from dry firing.
    had same issues with my 9ve and 40ve. smith warranty is the best
    pay for shipping from and to your place overnight and get a free mag.

I dont like the sigma trigger or M&P with the hinge in the middle of the trigger seen the pin work itself out in sigma. might of fixed that with M&P loctite can help. heard some reports of pins walking on early M&P again loctite.

read all you want http://www.mp-pistol.com/

3. bstevens

bstevens Guest

I'll preface this by saying I'm a novice shooter.

I own both a M9-A1 and the M&P 9C - In stock form I think the M9-A1 has a nicer trigger, feels better, and points more naturally.

I put about 400 rounds throught the M&P compact and decided to send it off for a trigger job. The trigger work really transformed the gun and it's now my choice carry weapon (size and weight are big factors for me). I wanted to get in on some competitive shooting and was considering a full size M&P, Glock 34, or Walther P99. Prior to purchasing the M9-A1 I rented a full size M&P, Walther, and HK USP... I found that I was was no more accurate with the full size M&P then the compact.... I was impressed with the accuracy of the Walther P99 and was about to bring it home then I got a wild hair to purchase the Steyr. No regrets with the Steyr!

-Workmanship on both guns is very acceptable.
    -The breakdown of the Steyr is much quicker then the M&P.
    -Interchangable grips aside... the Steyr fit my hand better than the M&P.
    -I can shoot tighter groups with the Steyr ~quarter/half dollar at 7 yards... vs. 2" with the M&P 9C... like I said I wasn't much better with the full size M&P.
    -The rail on my M&P 9C is off-angle to the barrel which results in the focused beam of the tac light to be quite low of point of aim. The Steyer is centered up with the point of aim, PERFECT, just like my Glock 23.

-Bill

4. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

I own a M357-A1 and a M&P 9mm full size. Well, I really like my Steyr M357-A1, but Reliability(IMO) is better on the S&W M&P. John, at my local Range Masters, has shot over 3000 rounds through His M&P and has no plans of cleaning It for some time to come. The store rental M&P has 10,000 rounds through it and it shoots like a dream(It's never been cleaned either!!!!). The Extractor Pin on my M357-A1 is showing signs of heavy wear(It's only 700 rounds old!) and it now refuses to digest Remington 125 gr JHP at all. I'm twice as confident in my M&P as I am my Steyr(sorry!).

Accuracy, is slightly in favor of The M357-A1(IMO). While I shoot The M&P well, I shoot the Steyr a little better! I haven't gone to range w/ my new PT Night Sights though.

Feel of the gun in hand would slightly go to Steyr, but not by much at all! There's a few minor things I would(and eventually may!) change on the Steyr. For instance, the finger groove for the index finger (trigger finger) could be a little more ergo. If that little edge or high spot was gone It would feel much better in hand. Don't get me wrong I love the way The M&P feels in hand.

Quality, at this place in time I would have to give to The M&P. It looks and feels tighter, but runs dirty(filthy!). My M357 would complain if not cleaned regularly. Sadly Steyr isn't geared to service US Steyr owners completely, yet! S&W Customer Service is only second to Springfield Armory(IMO!)

Trigger, While I like The M&P trigger, I love The Steyr trigger. Some of my friends that have shot The Steyr don't like It's trigger, but I believe other gun makers could learn something here!

I really want my M357-A1 to be my first choice, but I believe there may some minor issues that need attention. The Extractor needs to be revised. I hear there's one in the works, but it's not avail yet. If the gun is to sell here in The US, it needs support. On the other hand, the only thing The M&P needs is to sell more units. I'm starting to see The M&P more often so I think the selling bit shouldn't be problem for S&W.
    ________
    mugdava

5. IDPASteyr

IDPASteyr Guest

I have over 100K rounds through Steyr and 25K through the M&P. The Smith trigger 3.5 pounds and the Steyr is 5 pounds. The Smith and Wesson has had no problems at all up to this point with the exception of a loose front sight. I can not say that I had no problems with the Steyr in the first 25K rounds. They are both great guns but I have to stay with the S&W because of the reliability and consistency of factory support.

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Can someone post a photo of both M&P and Steyr....I never had a chance to see M&P in person :oops: just want to see how they compare sizewise.

If anyone also has a Glock I wouldn't mind seeing G17 or G19 next to a M-A1 either :p

Thanks!

7. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Gray_Wolf!

My M357-A1 left SAI today, headed back to California w/ a new Extractor Assembly. :D As soon as I get it back I'll try to post some pics of both it and the M&P together. I'll take some pics of my Steyr M-A1 w/ a XD.45 Tactical, a P345, and for fun my SOCOM II.

p.s. Fast turn-around, as I only sent it to SAI Wednesday and it shipped out today! :eek: Fast, Friendly service, I like that! :D
    ________
    mugdava

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

forget the fella's user name he post on glocktalk
    oh yeah its noway
    check the steyrclub section in glocktalk for M&P and Steyr Pics.

Glocktalk SteyrClub Link

M&P is about the size of a Glock 17/22 but the M&P is nicer in the grip. think the M&P is not as blocky.

Steyr's compared to Glock 17 and 19 the glock is a inbetween in size department for the M and MA1. S and SA1 series are an inbetween for 19 and 26 model size.

Steyr M and M&P review thread

9. bstevens

bstevens Guest

So I liked my Steyr M9-A1 so much that I had Davidsons deliver an S9 to my local FFL... picked it up last night, cleaned it in the AM and I'm off to the range tonight after work.

The S9 fully loaded weighs the same as my M&P 9C (also fully loaded) but the 9C holds two more rounds (I see no reason why steyr couldn't offer a 12rnd mag for the S9). Size wise the S9 is almost identical to the M&P 9C.

To be quite honest I find that I like the Steyr M9-A1 but I could have been just as happy with a Walther P99... I shoot tighter with both the Walther and the Steyr and both point very naturally. Just for giggles I rented a full size M&P at the range. I was only able to shoot through ~50 rounds and had 3 serious failures to extract (where I had to jam the case out of chamber with a brass rod). I don't know what the issue was with the M&P I rented but this sort of behavior has NEVER happened with my M&P 9C... in fact, like my Steyr, the M&P 9c has been 100% reliable. I did, however, get enough lead down range to find out that my grouping was no better with the full size M&P than the compact model which settled the "which gun do you like better" question - at least in my mind.

I still like my M&P 9C but it took getting a trigger job to 100% satisfied with the firearm. Out of the box both Steyrs have a very satisfying trigger. Anyways I'll give it a quick run through tonight and report back.

10. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

is M&P single action? I thought it was DAO...is it 100% precocked?