9mm ideas and .22 plinker review.

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by TheGuyver, Dec 10, 2007.

1. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Hey guys....

I recently sold my MR Baby eagle 9mm to my dad, he is a large man, 6'7", with huge hands, and was looking for a large fram auto.... the baby seemed to fit him well. The reason I sold it is, where as it was acurate as hell, it seemed to feel really loose and sloppy when fireing. That's the best way I can describe it. Anyway... I'm looking for another 9mm, and considering a Beretta 92 and an XD. I'm not going to get the Steyr M9A1 because I want more variety in my collection. Does anyone have any recomendations?

Ok... I've recently fired my Beretta U22 Neios, with 3X9 scope. If you are considering a .22 target pistol, try one of these out.... They are probably the most well designed, inexpensive, target plinker I've seen in a while. I was able to get sub 1" groupings at about 100 ft, 30-35 yards..., I know, nothing great, but at 100 yards, the cans flew off the fence as well. It's just a fun gun to shoot.

They are fully modular, with the ability to replace the barrel, slide and handles independently, and very very easily. Dissasembly is a little odd, but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy and requires no tools to boot. little things like the built in mag spring compresion slide, and index finger mag ejection button, make this thing just a pleasure to use. The only thing I'd like to see is a 20 or 30 round magazine, lol.

2. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I got a CZ P01 and I love it....great gun...only problem is the trigger is making me hate the M40A1 I have.

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've been looking at full-size 9mm models, too. The CZ-75 SP-01 is highly rated.

[​IMG]

I know Madecov says his M&P 9mm has a great trigger, advertised as 6.5 lbs. I considered the 5" XD 9mm model, but I've heard its trigger leaves much to be desired, advertised as 8 lbs.

There's also a new Ruger, the SR9, in the latest Guns & Ammo issue.

[​IMG]

For long-slide 5" or longer 9mms to help my aging eyes, the choices are limited, Beretta 92, G17L, G34...

4. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Held both the full size CZ and the compact yesterday.... It feels nice, but I like the compact better, still kicking the tires though. I'm actually considering droping the 9mm and going for a .357 sig or 10mm.

I'm wondering if I should wait till tax season and see what gets dropped at the pawn shops, but buy a new revolver for now....I've got my eye on a .454 Casul/45LC 2.75" Snubby Alaskan.

[​IMG]

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

sig or 10mm, I say go sig...10 is dying

as for 454 snub...personally....4 9's in the chest is better than 1 loud bang....unless your great with the gun and can get off quick and easy I would say pass. If its for shits-n-giggles...then I say why not go all the way and get a 50.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Glock, Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson and EAA/Tangfolio are already offering stock 10mm pistols, so Springfield is just joining others in the not-dead-yet market for 10mm.

Personally, I own a customized G29 that you couldn't buy for love nor money and the same also goes for my M357-A1. Two finer pistols have never split the air with hot lead! :mrgreen:

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Yeah...I'll admit it....the 10mm demise is more personal opinion and me stretching my psychic muslces....but the writing is on the wall....the question is can it make a comeback (even though it never really jumped off to begin with). And don't get me wrong I am not anti 10mm, I actually like it and shot it in its early days in the 90's when the first 10mm glock came out.

8. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

The 10mm is probably the way I'll go, but I'm really eyeing the Alaskan for now.

With .45 LC, sub 2" groupings at 25 yards was possible, in the reviews that I read.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

I'll probably never put .454 loads in it, except for one maybe two range experiences for giggles, but instead, run the .45 LC and use it as my primary home defense weapon, it's hard to get more reliable than a well made revolver.

It's a really acurate pistol, and if you need the .454 power, all you have to do is change ammo. I really feel the 'Need' to aquire one of these pistols.....

In all honesty, I dissagree with your assesment about 4 9's vs one loud bang.... It would be easy to believe that an attacker could get a shot or two off in the time it takes for you to put 4 9mm rounds in his chest, where as with one shot, you could remove his chest, or most of it anyway, leaving no chance for return fire. Even if you are using .45 LC instead of the .454, it would be hard for the attacker to shoot back when he gets hit with 230 grains of lead, which would knock all but the heaviest of people off of their feet.
    Agreed, the 10mm isn't dying, but if I buy one, then I may feel the need to dump my Steyr as the 10mm fits the same roll as the .40, but IMHO, does a better job at it. (IE... home defense, duty carry, etc) /shrug.

9. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just ordered this beauty, CZ Custom Shop CZ 75 SP-01, from Angus Hobdell.

This is what Hobdell says his shop does to the custom model from CZ.

This will be Answer 1B for the "Baddest Tactical Pistol I can afford." What I can afford just got better and with cash in hand, no time like the present to spend some.

I am really, really looking forward to this range report. :mrgreen: