9mm Ammo range report

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Angel, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Angel

Angel Guest

I have a 9mm M1-A with the extractor fix from SAI. While I was at the range over the weekend, I tried out a few brands of ammo. Here is the breakdown so far.

Sellier & Bellot ammo, about 5 FTEs per every 50 rounds. Probably will never buy this one again.
    MagTech, got my first FTE out of several hundred rounds. Realized that this ammo is nice and snappy but not as accurate as others.
    CCI Blazer Brass, still no FTEs, one of my overall favs.
    American Eagle, my new fav, no FTEs, very accurate with a nice loud bang.

2. smores

smores Guest

Agreed... American Eagle 115gr FMJ worked like a dream for me in my CZ-75B. Good, accurate ammo.

3. mshalcomb

mshalcomb Guest

When I first bought my m9, I tried the blazer aluminum cases and found they consistently fte. I thought the gun was junk, but then found other ammo reliable.

I had a problem with the winchester target loads from Walmart. They would eject when they fired. However, they often didn't fire unless I snapped on the same load 2-3 times.

I am feeling more confident with the gun now. Still, my early experiences with it have left a sense of uncertainty about whether it will go bang.

Reading the posts about breaking the gun in have been encouraging.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

make sure the gun is in battery. check the primer for center strikers ie pickup you empties and sift through them.
    if they are on center then clean out the striker channel. clean it out then lube with a oiled qtip dont need alot in fact too much can cause problems.

5. I suspect that in Austria they don't have the wide selection of Ammunition that we do within the United States. Unfortunately, most the pistol ammunition sold cheaply here is pure crap.

I like sticking to .165 gr. CCI Blazer Brass, Winchest White Box, and Speer Gold Dot.

Make sure you post your experience with ammunition in the ammo thread as well.

6. mshalcomb

mshalcomb Guest

I'm not clear about what you mean. Are you saying the primer should not be indented in the center after firing?

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

primer dent should be center

8. mshalcomb

mshalcomb Guest

primer dents are centered. It seems that it was likely the ammo.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

For practice, mostly WWB and American Eagle for me.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm a CCI guy, personally. I sometimes find glue from the packaging on WWB, and it's a PITA to peel it off. CCI has always been kind to my M9A1.