Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems I need to find myself something that fires 7.62x25mm ammunition....

After reading this, I find myself intrigued by this pistol cartridge...

Anyone have any favorites or suggestions???

Anyone?

Anyone?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I have a co-worker whom recently sing the praises of this round and the CZ pistol. The pistol can be had for $100, $200 for a really nice duracote with new wood grips on GB.
Ammo is cheap and plenty.
My drawback is the low ammo count as with a good old GI 45. But it only takes one round to do the job. I just like having 10+ more avaiable, just in case.
I think the round was originally a sub-machinegun round :?:
Very intersting combo :!:

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
The CZ(52?) is the only pistol I know of... I believe they can be had cheap through C&R licensing. Be careful though - I believe they are regarded as unsafe to carry C&L'd due to some possible malfunction of the safety. There was a new report of an older guy here in TX who carried one regularly and the safety failed/pistol AD'd in his holster after his granddaughter ran up and bumped him hard to hug him... :shock: It would be a cool toy to have, and beats the pants off the FiveseveN in all deperatments except aesthetics - and I didn't think it was possible to get much uglier than the FN... :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks to the klintons the best ammo in this caliber is no longer imported.But if you find any at fun shows,look for brown cardboard box chinese miltary surplus.
Avoid the czech stuff,some was ppsh subgun only and blew up some cz52s a few years back.Search the net f/pics of the results.
TT33 are upwards of $500 now. I found a rehab project f/$300.
Avoid the new added safety ones,they just ruined real nice pistols w/them.
Great cailber imho,think 357sig on steroids ! I think there is now some commercial jhp f/sale but I have no time w/it yet.
Would love to see one in dao f/ccw.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
CZ52 and TT33 Tokarev are your main choices. I have a CZ52, a very cool gun, rough like you might expect an Eastern Bloc weapon. Syntax is right, there are safety issues with carrying such a gun as well as a de-cocker that can malfunction. It's pretty much a range toy, but a very fun one, sort of a Thor's Hammer with the tremondous boom and fireball.

Romanian Tokarevs firing the round can be had in the $300 range, at least the one that I looked at last week was.

Watch out for corrosive Eastern Bloc surplus ammo.

Buzz

·
Registered
116 Posts
Theres a guy over on AR15.com talking about doing a Pistol Cal conversion for the AR in 7.62x25.

Other than that, the CZ-52 is always an interesting choice. Especially if you want a project gun (Just try and make one look Good 8) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
...And the pistol the round was designed for, the TT-33.
Bassicly 7.62x25 tokarev is a bit remade 7.63x25 mauser C-96 cartridge (as I know mausers cant shoot 7.62x25, but tokarev can shoot both), when red army bought some C-96 Bolos back in 1920s, they loved it because of this ammo, so when they were thinking about new handgun made in USSR, they picked this round as basis.

Tokarevs are very cheap and wide spread in old-ex USSR countrys, here in Latvia you can get one for 45-70Ls (approx. 100-150$). They were one of the most widespred handguns together with makarovs used by Russian mobs during 1990s and are still very popular among them.
From what I have heard from some police officers, this round can penetrate back plates of body armour, and some historical materials have said that back in 1940s Nazis in concentration camps had orders for ammo saving purposes to stand for execution planned jews in one line and shoot throught all of them with one shoot (I think I heard that from friend of mine from historical war museum, but I am not sure).

Anyway there is not many handguns shooting this cartridge because of the same reason - who would like to risk shooting throught enemy on the street.

I know only already mentioned T-33, CZ-52 and C-96, if I had to pick up one of these, I think I went went with C-96 if I could get my hands on one, T33 as the second choice, because ergonomics on it are awful and it has no safetys.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know only already mentioned T-33, CZ-52 and C-96, if I had to pick up one of these, I think I went went with C-96 if I could get my hands on one, T33 as the second choice, because ergonomics on it are awful and it has no safetys.
It technically does have a safety. If you pull the hammer to "half cock" that puts the gun in safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two Cz52,s and a yugo Tokare, and like them both. one CZ is in 7.62x25 and the other one has a extra barrel chambered for 9mm Largo. Most know that the 9mm Largo is same on the out side as 9x23, .38 super comp so a lot of brass can be used for reloading. I am ordering a 9mm Tok barrel that I will rechamber for the 9mm Largo. The reason for go to the largo is because it is longer than the 9mm Luger and feeds very well in both the tok and CZ with out a lot of problems . Just a simple barrel change. Plus you can get a lot more FPS out of the Lago than the 9mm. More so if one reloads in the 9x23 case which is made for higher pressures. So for the ones that or afraid that the 7.62x25 is not a good round cause of the over penataration . Get and extra barrel in 9mm and problem solved. The 9mm for cz is hard to find now but they do show up on Gun broker. 9mm barrel for tok is all over the place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
most say the hot sub ammo is a stretching of the truth.....some reported blown up barrels?
safety i don't really use it to drop a hammer down its against my nature anyway...

i have one of the best i kept 10 years ago out of the 5 i did own, all shot the CZ stuff, Chinese, Bulgarian, Romanian and commercial stuff s&b reported to having highest velocities....
each had different accuracies, all good, powder smells,......some higher flashes....no really differences...i haven't seen a split case that's talked about? but bought my ammo more than 10 years ago in bulk at shows....

one odd thing that can happen is once i was checking if one was in the chamber?....pulled back slide the shell flipped out fell back in and went into the chamber backwards....just as the slide slipped out of my hand......
while i was on the bad side of town..... i had to take an unsharpened pencil to knock live round out of chamber, with the eraser hitting the live primer!

i love the fire breathing deep penetrating bullet!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
wow, that's a uniquely trouble some experience you had there.... i'm glad it worked out though!!! i keep a few of these things on hand for sale now....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts