6 pistols range report

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

All you guys in the snow belt: Eat your hearts out. Sunny and '70s here today in the sunny South. Went to the range with all six of my pistols and had a grand ol' time. Also met a guy with a brand-new G17 and let him shoot my G29 and my M357-A1. He liked my customized G29 with its light trigger, but he loved my Steyr! "Great trigger!" he said after shooting it.

I had never shot a stock Glock so I asked if he minded if I popped a few. He didn't and I did.

Underwhelmed is the word. OK, but not great. I'm looking for a full-size 9mm, preferably 5" model, and the G17 ain't it. If somebody gave me one, fine. But I'll not spend my $$.

Up first at the range is my new-to-me Llama IX-C. I set up a bad guy target and let him have six mags of 13, WWB and Blazer Brass, two to the head, two to the center mass and two to the crotch. By the time I got to the crotch, the group got tighter. Seven yards, rapid fire, as quick as I could get a good sight picture, shoot, reacquire, shoot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Then I put up the last of my blue man targets (Gotta get some more when I got to Pittsburgh this Christmas) and shot the other five pistols. Areas are marked by pistols. Head is M357-A1, two mags of 12; gut is G29, two mags of 10; aimed at the left-side No. 4 is 14 rounds of 9mm from my S&W 669; left shoulder is two mags of 7 in my Kel-Tec PF-9; and right arm is 12 rounds of .22LR in my Walther P22. Got my money's worth.

[​IMG]
    Then I moved to the bench rest to test some .45 ACP hollow-points. Left bull is five rounds of WWB 230 grain HPs, right bull is five rounds of Federal 185 grain +P Hydra-Shock. Not much difference but I loved the "crack-boom" of the Fed +Ps. Think I'll stick with those for carry. The Llama has already earned "car gun duty."

Finally, here's the six pistols at the range: top row, M357-A1 and Llama IX-C; second row, S&W 669 and G29; third row, Walther P22 and Kel-Tec PF-9.
    [​IMG]

Learned a trick from Buzz. One of my S&W mags was unreliable, sometimes jamming every third or fourth round, sometimes not. It's a 15-rd. mag and I took a tip from Buzz and loaded only 14. Shot straight through without a bobble. Also tested a new follower for my P22 mag which was supposed to increase capacity from 10 to 13. Could only get 12 in the mag, but that's OK. It works just fine. After shooting all that big stuff, popping off a few .22 rounds was anti-climactic but a pleasure. Need to shoot that P22 a lot more. :mrgreen:

2. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

8) Nice living where it's warm. I will never go back.

How's that Kel-Tec treating you?
    Been thinking about one.

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Net, did you move south for the winter or just vacationing...........???? O, just realized you are south......thought you were from Penn for some reason........good shooting..........I do a bit of customizing on all my Glocks.....

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I love my PF-9, great little pistol. Light, small, workable trigger, accurate enough to get the job done. I bought a P-11 first simply on capacity, figuring 11 rds. of 9mm beats 8 rds. But the trigger on the P-11 is so bad, supposedly 9 lbs. but felt like 99, that I gave up after about 200 rds. and sold it. I was ready to look elsewhere when DocChronos suggested I try the PF-9. It has the same trigger as the P3AT .380 Kel-Tec and is dramatically better. I figure 9mm is my floor for defense rounds, though some like .380.

I feel confident enough with the accuracy and handling of the PF-9 that I carry it occasionally as my sole weapon and other times I carry it as a backup.

See Tale of 2 pocket pistols. :mrgreen:

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Born and raised about 30 miles from where I'm living now, right in the middle of North Carolina. I married a Yankee, God help me, and moved her down here from Pennsylvania and her family is still there so we visit Pittsburgh at least twice a year, sometimes more. That's where I got up with BigTaco face to face for a bit of shooting.

I was not impressed with the stock G17, but I suppose I would have liked it better if I had never owned a Steyr. That sets the standard pretty high for evaluating other semi-autos. It also made me appreciate the great custom work on my G29 by the Glock armorer in Kansas, glock10mmman at http://www.10mmtalk.com/.

I do plan to get a G20 when I can afford it so I can add a 9x25mm barrel from Wolf. That would be a great pistol to mount a scope on for some long-range pistol shooting. :mrgreen:

6. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Hi Netfotoj,

Some nice shooting there !! Glad you did so well. Have to say that whilst I own a Steyr M9A1 (with new mag springs) I couldn't rate it as being better in any department against my Glock 17. The G17 has never had an issue of any kind and is as accurate as could be asked for in any combat handgun. More than that it has earned my complete trust over a long time ... not a single malfunction (I only ever use good quality ammo) and it was 'right' straight out of the box. I recently added a Lone Wolf SS threaded barrel with a fully supported chamber and 'standard' rifling just for the heck of trying out some non-glocky ammo and it shot everything it was loaded with ... even surprised me with semi-wadcutters.

I like all handguns and like everyone I've had my share of lemons but (and here comes the part no Steyroid - inc. me - wants to hear) the M9A1 has been one of the group of guns that didn't do too well OTB. Seems fine now and Jeff at SAI really does go the extra mile, but I'll need a lot more rounds downrage before I'll bet on the Steyr. My GB is a different story ... got it new and never a single problem, but then it did cost more $$$.

Also pleased you are having good success with your Llama. I have tried two (.380 1911 style and another that I can't remember now - sorry) but found the steel soft and reliability poor. Just goes to show why there are so many opinions about things like guns in the net ... have a good personal experience (with 1 or 2 of a particuar model(s) of brand X) and presto brand X is a 'good' gun ... and vice versa. The perfect handgun? Wish I knew after 50 years of shooting :) Just by way of a bit of entertainment my S&W 457 has never ever missed a beat from day one and is dead-on accurate. My Wildey (a 45 Win Mag early version) never learned the meaning of the word reliable !! Go figure.

Please pray for the three good people who were shot in a Christian community dorm in Arvada, Colorado this Sunday morning ... two in their young 20's are dead and at this time the third is in critical condition. Motive unknown, assailant unknown.

Best to all and God's season's greetings,

Mike. (TGO-1)

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I saw that on the news. Hard to believe but stuff like that happens way too often now. I will certainly pray for the survivors and the entire ministry. A Christmas nightmare.

What I read was a man entered, asked for shelter for the night and when he was denied, opened fire and began killing people. Give me shelter or I'll kill you? I also pray he will be caught soon and gets the justice he deserves.

BTW, I wasn't Glock-bashing. I know they're legendary for reliability, something that Steyr certainly needs to work on for OTB. My comment was comparing the triggers. I love my custom G29, but it is heavily customized. The G17 was my first stock Glock experience.

I'm off to a good start with my Llama and hope it lasts as a great pistol. And I am also a S&W fan, they make great pistols. I'm looking to sell or trade my short-barrel 669 for a long-barrel 9mm and I may well end up with another S&W. The search continues. :mrgreen:

8. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Hi Netfotoj and members. Don't know if you've heard or seen it on MSN but there's just been another church shooting here in CO today (Sunday), this time about 4 miles from where I live. Four people were shot by a 'person' *sorry - I cannot call him a man* with a high powered rifle. How on earth do you stop this kind of insanity? Not with gun control - we all know that you cannot legislate against insanity and if he hadn't used a gun he'd have found another way but what the H*** is going so wrong ... why so many totally screwed up pyschopathic young people? Sickening.

Understood about the Glock ... a little slicking up (properly done as yours was) really does make a difference to the Glocks, but that's true of any gun and I guess that's one of the reasons I still 'love' 1911's ... got to be the ultimate I did it my way pistol :)

You now, I've had a ton of S&W's ... probably more than my fair share, and I've got to say that I've never had a bad one (just luck maybe) but for some reason their semi's just don't seem to raise many comments from users. I hope it's because satisfied users don't post as much as dissatisfied owners. Like you and the 669 I can't see the front sight and target at the same time anymore even with a rifle ... so I'm working on my guesses harder ... now where the heck did I put that 1" diameter Big Dot Green front sight .... :)

Be safe and well ... Mike. (TGO45)

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

That's where I got the Penn thing. Wolf has 9x25 barrels for G20......?? mine is sitting on the top of my couch now, keeping watch :beer: