5R pictures

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by aubie515, Oct 18, 2006.

1. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I finally got her back today. Tactical bolt knob was made by a local member on PAFOA.

Remington 5R rifle
    308 caliber
    Eagle stock pack
    Burris XTR rings
    EGW 25 MOA base
    Winchester sling
    Harris S 9-13"
    IOR 2.5x10 MP8 scope

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot to mention who did the work. Randy Cain aka HaTeCA...here is his website if anyone is interested in having some custom work. Randy is well known for his excellent customer service and the quality of his work.

http://www.rdprecision.net

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Very nice! I just got my first true tack-driver about 6 weeks ago, but I went Savage :wink:
    Have you developed a load for it yet? Mine shoots FGMM168 like a champ, but I keep stringing my shots.

4. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I sold my two Savage 10FPs...great shooters that's for sure. I bought the 5R to see what all the hype was about...I just got her back on Monday...so I haven't had the opportunity to develope a load for her. I will be using Hornady 178gr A max bullets because I got in on a group buy for it...the Amax is very similar to the V max...and I love Vmax on cirtters...opens them up pretty good.

5. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Nice. Yeah I saw your Savages on Savageshooter.net just today. Made the connection. I dont know if your a member on AR-15.com, but Ive been stiring up a hornets nest over there on the Precision forum. lol

6. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I've been a member at ARF forever...I seldom post on there....the site has gotten to large and to much nonsense going on over there...I doubt I will renew my membership.

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

yeah. Someone said they wanted to try precision shooting out to 200 yards, on a bench. I got all but malled by the mall ninjas when I said you dont have to spend 500 if thats all your doing. Like a pack of rabid wolves. lol

ETA: Too bad your in PA. If your ever in CO with that thing, let me know. Ive got a great range that goes out to about 600 yards, and I'd love some tips from someone thats been doing it for awhile!

8. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

I'd love to go to CO...great hunting out there. There are way too many "experts" out there...snipershide is one of those places...if you don't own a $2,000+ custom rifle...your not worthy to be part of the club. Savages are darn accurate and will keep up with most custom rifles costing 4X...if you haven't done so...I would suggest swapping out the factory Savage stock with a B&C Duramaxx stock...very strong and won't break the bank...or the B&C Medalist.

9. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

One step ahead of you. Mine cam with an HS Precision stock.. Oh so sweet! Paid 670 for it and the rifle. So far my best has been 1MOA. Funny thing is with FGMM168 one day I shot .210 vertical, 1.1 horizontal. Two days later I did the same thing, only my string was vertical. Im telling you, when I get it right, I'll be pissing myself!! Here is a pic of the toy. :D

[​IMG]

10. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

When you get inconsistent groups...I would look at the scope...make sure that the screws are tight on the rings...and make sure the base isn't loose...that is the first thing I always check. I advised that to someone else and it worked...he swore the base and rings were tight, but when he rechecked them that was the cause of his groups. You should be able to get .5 to .75 with that rifle...you might also want to check the screws on your stock too.

Very nice...at first I thougth that was a SVT stock.

11. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Inconsistent groups? HAH!! No, its not the loose rings, its the loose nut behind the buttstock. It shoots damned cinsistent. You got to remember, that was my 3rd and 4th time ever shooting a Precision rifle. Ever. 1st and 2nd if youdont include the two trips I shot with loose scope rings :oops: :oops:
    Actually I think it was the base that was loose, but its fixed now. Hoestly I can see in my groups that this is a .25MOA gun. I just need to learn to do my part. Not bad for about 1100 total, eh?? :D

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aubie,

Great looking rifle and setup. Is the OD finish Duracoat? If so, did you apply it yourself?

13. aubie515

aubie515 Premium Member

It is not Duracoat...it is Norrell's Moly Resin...more durable than Duracoat...Norrells is a thermal cure, so you will need to bake it in the oven for an hour at 300 degrees. I use Norrell's to refinish my firearms, but I didn't have an oven large enough to bake the barrel action, so I sent it off to be finished.