45vs40vs357sig

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by Shooter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Well this is for you 357sig fans. My friend is a fan of the caliber and like a few of us, likes to try new things. He relates his story of the Chicago transit cops using the 357sig cause it will go through the seats of the subway cars.
    So he decides to give it a test. He used hardened aluminum (forgot how thick, less then an inch), and proceeds to shoot a 45 at it. He gets a dent in the aluminum. Then he shoots a 40cal and gets a little bigger dent. Lastly, he shoots the 357sig and gets a nice, clean, 9mm sized hole in the aluminum............ 8) As a side note for you shooters, the wwb 357sigs have a crap load of recoil in them probably due to the common powder they use for all calibers. But the self defense loads have their prioritery powder that reduces recoil quite a bit. I didn't think at the time to ask him the loads he used for the test, but I'm guessing all were SD loads and probably Gold Dot 125's for the 357sig...............

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sectional density is a beautiful thing. 8)

3. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Why do they want it to penetrate a seat?

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

To get the scumbag shooting at them behind it....... 8)

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Fixed. :wink:
    The 9mm & the Sig357 use the same bullets.
    If Sectional Density was the primary cause of the penetration, the 9 would have gone through too.

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Your honor, the 357 Sig defense rests its case. No more evidence needs to be produced to prove the superiority of our caliber. :mrgreen:

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I wonder what a .223 would do to the seat :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Go get the rifle and swiss cheese that bus!!

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good call, Bullet*

Have 'im give 'er a go w/ a 9MM and post the results.

Wulf

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

So they want a high penetrating round for use on a train? What about the inevitable stray, high penetration rounds? In ordinary circumstances I'd think no BFD, but on a train? Not as bad as on an airplane, but sounds like bad thinking....Have there been situations in which a perp is "barricaded" behind a seat, and lack of seat-penetration was the problem?

10. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I wouldnt consider logic as one of the major components for making this choice. My uncle is a Monterey county sherrif, hes heard a ton of these stories. One pd actually bought teflon coated bullets for bg's with armor (which were then stolen from the pd).

11. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Money says it won't go through, and........

[​IMG]

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

As 9mm was not discussed initially, I was simply speaking of the relationship between the .357SIG and .40/.45. I'm not convinced the right 9mm load wouldn't do the same thing - I'd like to see the plate hit with a hot 127gr. +P+ or some 147gr. Double Tap in 9mm. No doubt the velocity nod goes to SIG and it is a huge part of the deciding factors that make .357SIG the undisputed champion of the penetration game...

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Good question..........I'll suggest that to my friend and see if he can procure one 9mm ++ bullet and see if it does go through.................. 8)

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

My only concern is that the only 127gr. +P+ that I know of is the Winchester Ranger JHP - I imagine FMJ is much better suited for the job...

Sounds like a good excuse for Wulf to whip up something wicked... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

15. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

wouldn't be valid test since the other bullets were not FMJ and law enforcement wouldn't use them here......I'll say No, it won't be a clean hole.............. :wink:

16. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ah - I forgot about that part. I wish I had more confidence, but I'm guessing your right. It'd be worth a try, though.

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Spoke to my friend again who did the test and he thought that the 9+p+ might have the "energy" to make the hole but that the 357Sig has much more energy left over after it goes through. He has chronyed 357sig Federal HP's out of his G34 (357sig conversion) at over 1500.... :shock: nice velocity.........its come close to 357mag out of the 6" barrel..........Wulf has done some that have been very hot, and I have a few of his formula sitting here waiting to be chronyed soon. These are 135's ( I think.......been so long since I made them... :oops:).........Frankly I'd rather shoot a 357sig out of a gun built for it and experience moderate recoil, then a 9+p+ out of a pistol made for a 9mm considering an increased recoil. Of course our Steyr's havin be made from a 40cal from the beginning wouldn't have much problem with a hot 9.......as a Sig 229 in 9mm would not either.............

19. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Miss read the first post. :oops:

If the 9mm is going to be tested, it should be a standard non- +P police load .
    The Winchester Ranger 9mm 127gr +P+ SXT is LE only and since the others weren't using +P+ would invalidate a direct comparison.

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ya, that happens... It's all kinda a blur sometimes when your going through every single post that hits SC...

And no it wouldn't - he's testing common self defense loads and the fact that Rangers are marketed as "LE only" means nothing - they are one of the most common defense loads around. There is nothing wrong with putting one of 9mm's best up against the competition... But if you insist, go the other route - try some of Double Tap's stuff.