45+P

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by breechplug, Dec 30, 2006.

1. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Can anyone tell me if my RIA 1911 A-1 will safely fire the 45Auto+P
    230gr TAP FPD
    :?:

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

it will handle it though my recommendation would be switch to 200gr bullets if you want more velocity.

researching various loads from different manufactures its possible to find something that delivers velocity without +p pressure.

is a RIA rep that post on one of the two 1911 forums.
    http://forum.m1911.org/
    http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php
    outside of smithing forums which will tell you how to make a 1911 with a mill and a lathe those are 2 great probably the best 1911 forums in existence.

RIA guru believe answers question in the "other 1911" section
    though m1911 org has a Armscor/Rock Island/Charles Daly/SAM

3. CCWMAN

CCWMAN New Member

THE BEST .45+P is the 200 GRAIN CCI-SPEER GOLD DOT!!

The best .45+P is the new version of the CCI-SPEER 200 grain "Flying Ashtry" bullet. That's the 200 grain Gold Dot in the +P load!

That's the most potent .45 load out there. 8)

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Where can you get it? I thought they stopped making it some years ago.

5. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

Cheaper than dirt has it :Flyin Ashtray: Charging $18.16/per 20rds and I've occasionaly seen some on the shelf at a local sporting goods store for just a bit more.

6. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I talked to Blackdragon or Ivan from Rock Island Armory, contacted him
    at 1911 Forum first then by phone, he told me that there is no problem
    with the +P Ammo. but not to use it alone. (which I couldn't afford anyway) I just got back from the range and the Hornady 45+P 230gn TAP FSD WORKS GREAT. I've had trouble with JHP's in that gun in the past, but these cycled perfectly as do the 40S&W TAP FSD from Hornady in my M-40, I would recomend them both highly! Thanks for the feedback guys, Craig.
    :D

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Rotorflyr:
    "Cheaper than dirt has it :Flyin Ashtray: Charging $18.16/per 20rds and I've occasionaly seen some on the shelf at a local sporting goods store for just a bit more."

Thanks.

8. breechplug

breechplug Guest

9. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

Hornady's have a nice profile to them.

nice to go to sites that sell reloading componets and see bullet profiles midwayusa.com is good one also show the loaded ammo.

hope you had a easy time getting to BlackDragon Ivan. sometimes the sea of information can give rough sailing.

may want to try remington golden sabers I love them for 9mm and 40sw. dont own a 45acp launcher yet. the prices of premium ammo are fairly insane almost better to own a single stage press and roll your own using finest materials available. for what the stores charge for 20-50 you can make 50-100.

10. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I think I'll give the Golden Sabers a try, that will give me anouther excuse
    to go to the range! The reason I started with Hornady is I have a 54CAL.
    T.C. muzzle loader and was having trouble finding a plains bullet for it. The counter man at Williams Gun Sight(located nearby) told me Hornady
    still made what I was looking for. I used them without problems for years
    untill I bought my T.C. Encore and could use sabbots. I tried the Hornady's and again was very happy. I also like the Hornady CUSTOM 44Mag.240gn JHP/XTP in my S&W 629 5" Stainless Classic. What has me scratching my head is the prices on the Hornady site are quite a bit higher
    than they are over the counter.
    :-k