45 & 9mm range report

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Finally got a chance to take my new-to-me Llama IX-C and her two new "full-capacity" 13-round mags out for a test run. Here she is with her two new mags, one in the gun. The mag at the top with the line at the base is the 10-round "Clinton ban" mag that came with the pistol. (Let us pray we won't have another outbreak of "Clintonitis WhiteHouseus.")

[​IMG]
    Surprise, BigTaco came down for a Thanksgiving visit to God's Country and was hunting with family in my home county. We got together in the afternoon to run out to the range, but found it was closed. So we dropped back and punted and set up our own range in the woods where they had been hunting.

Here's a 11"x17" target with a widespread set of 13 holes in the body and a tight-as-a-tick-on-a-hound group clustered at the head. Guess who shot the head group? If you guessed anybody but BT, you are wrong.
    [​IMG]
    So not being embarrassed enough yet, I switched to bulls-eye targets. Again, guess whose group on the top target is all over the place and whose group on the bottom target is tick-tight again? Getting the idea yet?
    [​IMG]
    Finally, I wanted to put some rounds through my pocket pistol, Kel-Tec PF-9, for which I had a new magazine to replace one I lost. I fired several magazines of FMJs and HPs to make sure both magazines were feeding fine as well as getting in some trigger time to stay ready with it. Guess again who fired one magazine of seven at the head? Oh well. Why would I want to go shooting with somebody who's not better than me anyway?
    [​IMG]

At least it got dark and cut the session short, so the embarrassment didn't last too long.

I can now retire my S&W 669 from "car gun" duty and promote the Llama to riding shotgun with me. "Big Bertha" has passed all tests and is ready for action. BT also liked her light and crisp trigger, perhaps 3 lbs., but I still haven't had the chance to put a trigger gauge on her. She's just right for SA cocked-and-locked car carry.

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

13+1 in a 1911 is nice.
    Looks like a good time was had by all.

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Net looking good. Makes me wish I kept the one I had....

Oh and I see now why I can't get a hold of BT.....

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

my first handgunning experiences were with a llama .22. nice little shooter. never jammed.

so this was somewhat of a trip down memory lane.

that llama really surprised me. nice wide body lets you get a very good grip on the gun and the slim slide gives the gun a very racy feel. trigger was very crisp and predictable.

we were overlooking a cutover while shooting and if i'd have seen a rack get up, i'd have loosed all 13 rounds.

i could shoot that gun all day everyday. especially if the mag release is right for big stick mags.

i'm still not big on the pf9. something about the trigger and the trigger guard hits my finger just wrong. maybe if i were more of the calloused manly man who shot the thing every week, i'd learn to ignore it, but i was hoping for slide lock after 4 rounds. the 7th round was three too many.

all in all a good time. netfotoj might be making his way up the pittsburgh around the holidays and we're pretty likely to hit a local range. mayeb we could get a steyrclub shoot together around then.

pray for a warm day!!!

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

One thing I learned that I didn't expect when I shot that long-barrel Llama, the first full-size .45 or pistol of any caliber that big in a long time. I found out my arms were long enough to see the front sight. It's a miracle!

Then when I shot my S&W 669, I realized how fuzzy the sights are I've been shooting with. That 3.5" barrel is just too short for these 60-year-old eyes. It didn't matter so much with the PF-9 'cause it's not a bulls-eye shooter anyway, even though as you can see, BT tore the head up on that Red Man Target and he don't even like the PF-9.

That's why I decided to upsize my 669. It's my favorite pistol to shoot, cheap ammo, et c., especially compared to 357 Sig and 10mm and even .45 ACP. I just gotta get me a 9 with a longer barrel, at least 4" and preferably longer.

Oddly enough, I can see the trap sights on my M357-A1 just fine, so a M9A1 would be my first choice in a trade.

But if I can't trade it, I'll let it go for exactly what I've got in it, $400, and put it toward a big-frame 9mm. :mrgreen:

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Speaking of 9mm vs. 45 ACP vs. .40 et c., I ran across this pistol thread while I was browsing around today.

[​IMG]

http://dailypundit.com/?p=28532 who claims " Yes, I'm the guy who named the Blogosphere"???

Scroll down a bit to where they start speculating about which Glock that is in the photo and then the fun begins.

I agree with the guy who said to heck with 9, .45 and .40, go with 357 Sig or 10mm. What a smart feller he is! :mrgreen:

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

LOL even my wife said I guess the gun...

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Great picture, though the choice of weapon system could have been better... :twisted: 8)

9. NicoX

NicoX New Member

the Glock nop.. :p

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Great candidate for a screen saver