Steyr Club Forums banner

40 to 9mm conversion..... can I just change the barrel and mag (like in a Glock)?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Syntax360 
#1 ·
since 40 cal still cost quite a bit more than 9mm, it might make sense to do a 40-->9conversion to shoot the less expensive 9mm. What is involved? Can I just get a $300 factory threaded barrel and some 9mm mags, pop them in and call it good? (like how you'd convert a glock, you know....)

Has anybody tried that?

#4 ·
The barrel is different and the slide is different. 9mm slides have a smaller hole as the barrel has a smaller OD. Next the 9mm slide is lightened for the difference in recoil.
So to change from 9mm to 40 you need a magazine and the entire slide assembly.
40 to 357sig is just a different barrel.

#6 ·
not only the slide's barrel diameter, but the 9mm slide has a groove milled out of the underside to reduce weight, a .40 cal slide might have recoil timing issues because of the weight difference. you would need a whole top end... if your going to do that, i would recommend just buying whole new gun.

besides, by the time you get new mags, barrel, slide, its most likely going to cost near the same anyway...

#10 ·
But people have done it, right? I seem to recall a few threads where people did indeed run some 9mm through their .40 slides using nothing more than a barrel and magazines...? (just not any serious volume of fire in this configuration)
That's what I did. I asked the guys at SAI what I needed and they said only the barrel and mags. So that's what I bought. Been shooting that way for a while now. Once in a great while I'll get a hang up FTF, but that's fairly rare (one every other box or so). That's not the configuration I use for HD, only for range time, so I'm ok with that.

hth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.