.40 S&W Winchester Ranger 155 Grain JHPs

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by revchuck, Oct 29, 2005.

1. revchuck

revchuck New Member

I realize I did this backwards; I ordered some from CDNN and now I'm asking how it works! Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? I'm interested mainly in feed reliability and muzzle flash. I ordered it because I assume (and yes, I know that's an acronym :)) the muzzle flash will be lower with LE ammo. I'm also interested in chrono results.

TIA!

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I've bought some of that too and haven't tried it yet.....I'm out this Wed or so and I'll shoot a mag or two..........It's supposed to be very good stuff........I know my friend swears by Silver Tips, but the flash from those is horendous......I think they were very popular with LEO depts in the late 80's early 90's..........then I think they switched to Gold Dots and Corbon.........I think Rangers replaced the infamous Black Talons that some LEO dept also used...........funny Rangers are probably more lethal then Black Talons.........Media!!!!!! :roll:

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Finished shooting M40 today with Ranger, Gold Dots, and Sliver Tips.........All were very good, very accurate.....My impression is from the paper and recoil was that the Silver Tips was the slower of the three.....but very comfortable to shoot.....the Rangers and the always available Gold dots performed pretty close to the same.......same recoil and the holes in the paper were laser cuts......very fast and clean.....and for a deal the Rangers are a good choice.....but to pay extro for them would be a waste of money I think.....Gold Dots are probably just as good and available everywhere......I really liked the Silver Tips myself and would consider buying those first.....recoil was a little softer and of course I could be more accurate........My friend used his Silver Tips to hunt boar and swears by them, saying they mushroomed as expected............powder might be a little "flashy" at night.........hope that helps your evaluation.........