Steyr Club Forums banner
4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I would be interested in hearing from anybody who owns or has experience with a Scout in this caliber? How potent is the round? Also, is it going to be manufactured in the future or am I throwing money down a hole? What are your reloading experiences like?

THANKS!!!!

#4 ·
376Scout

It is the end all of hunting rifles. I have been sucessfull on two deer hunts and one shot was 310 ydsHornady 270's. I knew it was dead at the shot. I also bought the compact rifle becuse I loved the Scout so much and I can say that the Scout handles the recoil better. Truth is I never need to grab another rifle and I have a few good ones to chose from. J.Michael

#5 ·
The last news I got was that the Caliber is going to be continued so it is not a dead cartridge. Hornady has a loy of brass and dies are availiable. I have not started loading yet because I have a stock of Factory I am still working on. This caliber is basicly a 375H&H in a shorter action. You can't go wrong with it. J.Michael

G
#6 ·
I hunted in Africa with one, using my handloads of 300-grain Woodleigh Protected Points at 2320 fps. It was a decisive killer on all the game I shot with it: bushbuck (no surprise), nyala, waterbuck, and eland. My PH said he would've been comfortable with my using it on Cape buffalo, which is not surprising since it's a near-equivalent (and perhaps slightly superior) to the venerable 9.3x62 that has been used for a century in Africa with reliable results. On the other hand, the difference is probably not significant in the field on game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.